    Why should people pay for buying books when we have such a large
    community who can help with C++/C

    -Ajay

    Ajay, Jun 6, 2005

  2. Ajay

    Rolf Magnus Guest

    Ajay wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > how about starting a thread where people post c++ coding questions and
    > others respond. This will help people preparing for interviews.

    You mean questions that could be asked in such interviews?
    If they post their attempt at answering them, too, it's fine.
    Posting the question only is frowned upon here, because people are
    frequently posting their homework assignments in the hope of getting them
    done by somebody else without even attempting to try it themselves.

    > I have attended many (cleared most of them).
    >
    > While preparing - I found that one question may have many answers. But
    > one may never know that best one. we can discuss that over here.
    >
    > Why should people pay for buying books when we have such a large
    > community who can help with C++/C

    Because asking them also takes their time, not only our own. So you should
    always try to find the answer yourself before bothering others. Further,
    waiting for the answers to your postings can take several hours.

    Rolf Magnus, Jun 6, 2005

  3. Ajay

    BigBrian Guest

    >how about starting a thread where people post c++ coding questions
    >and others respond. This will help people preparing for interviews.

    I don't see this being useful. If you understand the language, then
    interview questions are not an issue. If you don't understand the
    language, then memorizing a set of interview questions and answers, is
    not the way to improve yourself. And if you're the interviewer, you
    should already know what's important for the given task.

    BigBrian, Jun 6, 2005
  4. Ajay

    Guest

    BigBrian wrote:
    > >how about starting a thread where people post c++ coding questions
    > >and others respond. This will help people preparing for interviews.

    > I don't see this being useful. If you understand the language, then
    > interview questions are not an issue. If you don't understand the
    > language, then memorizing a set of interview questions and answers, is
    > not the way to improve yourself. And if you're the interviewer, you
    > should already know what's important for the given task.

    Furthermore, posting interview questions in unethical because it biases
    the applicant pool. For example, if I found out that the recruiters I
    hired were giving away our interview questions, I would fire them
    immediately. /david

    , Jun 6, 2005
  5. "Ajay" <> wrote in message

    > Why should people pay for buying books when we have such a large
    > community who can help with C++/C

    Why would anyone write books if no one buys them?

    Andrew Koenig, Jun 6, 2005
  6. Ajay

    osmium Guest

    "Ajay" writes:

    > Why should people pay for buying books when we have such a large
    > community who can help with C++/C

    Because they want to learn more than a few factoids per fortnight?

    osmium, Jun 6, 2005
  7. On 2005-06-06, Ajay <> wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > how about starting a thread where people post c++ coding questions and
    > others respond.

    Great idea ... but I thought that's what people on this newsgroup did all the
    time. Someone posts a C++ coding question, others respond.

    [snip]
    > Why should people pay for buying books when we have such a large
    > community who can help with C++/C

    If you're even asking this, then it makes me wonder how you "clear" an
    interview. The reason is that posters in this forum do not have the time or
    inclination to read "The C++ Programming Language" to you or anyone else.

    In other words, there is an enormous amount of material to learn. No-one is
    going to learn it all just by reading and posting in this newsgroup. Most of
    the discussion that takes place in this forum carries some basic assumptions
    that all parties in the discussion have a reasonable level of familiarity with
    the language *AND* access to their own reference materials (so that someone
    who posts a solution doesn't have to provide a detailed explanation of the
    function or class they're using)

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

    Donovan Rebbechi, Jun 6, 2005
  8. Ajay wrote:
    > [..]
    > Why should people pay for buying books when we have such a large
    > community who can help with C++/C

    I think people should pay for books because shop-lifting is against
    the law, and convincing relatives that a C++ book makes a good BD or
    Xmas present is very difficult.

    Victor Bazarov, Jun 6, 2005