Interview Questions

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by kid joe, Mar 3, 2009.

  1. kid joe

    kid joe Guest

    Hello,

    1. How many CLC regulars does it take to change a light bulb?

    Thanks.

    ---
    .--------------------.
    | |
    | Good Night.... | .--.--.
    | | .; .;|;. ;.
    `-------------. ,---' .;_;' `;_;.
    \| ; ;' `; ;
    \ ;;'.--.___.--.`;;
    ;-( o )=( o )-;
    ( `--' | `--' )
    \| . . |/
    ........... . .:::::. . .______
    / . '---` . '\
    .' `. .' \
    | ____,.- . | `.....' | _______ |
    | ,-' \ /|\'' \.-- |
    | / \.'\ /,'. \. - |
    | /| ` `\ / \ |
    | ,/ _ '/ '\ |
    ,-' ,-. |o '
    / '| | | | \
    / ,/| |o | \ `
    | .' | |.' |. \ \
    ________/ .'____|________________________||__`. `__________
    ( \ ) / )
    '-. '-. ( .-` .-`
    '-. .-'--.__. .-.__.--`-. .-`
    '-..' \--' : ~`:=,`- `..-`
    \ .. \\ |`-'|`-, /
    \\\\\\\) | |`-'/.'/
    \)\)\\ `-' `-'
    `

    kid joe, Mar 3, 2009

  2. kid joe

    Kojak Guest

    Le Mon, 2 Mar 2009 22:55:51 -0700 (MST),
    kid joe a écrit :

    > 1. How many CLC regulars does it take to change a light bulb?

    int main(void) { return 0b101010; }

    --
    Jacques.

    Kojak, Mar 3, 2009

  3. kid joe

    Bartc Guest

    "kid joe" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >

    > 1. How many CLC regulars does it take to change a light bulb?

    Guess: one.

    --
    Bartc

    Bartc, Mar 3, 2009
  4. kid joe

    Kaz Kylheku Guest

    On 2009-03-03, kid joe <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >

    > 1. How many CLC regulars does it take to change a light bulb?

    Eight. One to force a 12V automotive headlamp into a 120V socket, with his bare
    fingers, while the power is on, while three others ostracize some bold
    ``irregular'' for using a 60W bulb to obtain more output from a lamp labelled
    with a 40W maximum, and four more start a separate thread in which they
    demonstrate their pitiful misunderstanding of various aspects of Ohm's law.

    Kaz Kylheku, Mar 3, 2009
  5. kid joe

    Mark Wooding Guest

    Kenneth Brody <> writes:

    > kid joe wrote:
    >
    >> 1. How many CLC regulars does it take to change a light bulb?

    > A1) None. Since "light bulb" is defined by the Standard, they would
    > tell you to go to comp.std.c if you wanted to change it.
    >
    > A2) The term "light bulb" is not referenced anywhere in the Standard.
    > Any use of such would thereby require some extension to the Standard,
    > and you would be directed to an appropriate newsgroup which discusses
    > such platform/vendor-specific extensions.

    A3) Light-bulb jokes are off-topic on comp.lang.c.

    -- [mdw] FTAOD: ;-)

    Mark Wooding, Mar 3, 2009
  6. kid joe <> writes:
    > 1. How many CLC regulars does it take to change a light bulb?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > ---
    > .--------------------.

    [28 lines deleted]
    > \)\)\\ `-' `-'

    The correct signature delimiter is "-- ", not "--- ".

    I've asked you before to stop using your 30-line ASCII art signature
    here.

    I don't mind the riddle, though the subject header, "Interview
    Questions" seems to be deliberately misleading. But the next time
    I see your ASCII art signature will be the last.

    Nokia

    Keith Thompson, Mar 3, 2009
  7. Kaz Kylheku <> writes:

    > On 2009-03-03, kid joe <> wrote:
    >>
    >> 1. How many CLC regulars does it take to change a light bulb?

    > Eight. One to force a 12V automotive headlamp into a 120V socket,
    > with his bare fingers, while the power is on, while three others
    > ostracize some bold ``irregular'' for using a 60W bulb to obtain
    > more output from a lamp labelled with a 40W maximum, and four more
    > start a separate thread in which they demonstrate their pitiful
    > misunderstanding of various aspects of Ohm's law.

    Here's a thought: every post that refers to "regulars" should name
    those to which it applies. Would you be any more reluctant to mock
    people who post here "regularly" if you had to say who you were
    mocking?

    I have no idea if you intended to mock me or Kenny or Han or
    yourself... Maybe all of those? Maybe none of them? It make a
    difference, at least it does to me.

    --
    Ben.

    Ben Bacarisse, Mar 3, 2009
  8. In article <>,
    Keith Thompson <> wrote:
    >kid joe <> writes:
    >> 1. How many CLC regulars does it take to change a light bulb?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> ---
    >> .--------------------.

    >[28 lines deleted]
    >> \)\)\\ `-' `-'

    >The correct signature delimiter is "-- ", not "--- ".
    >
    >I've asked you before to stop using your 30-line ASCII art signature
    >here.

    Your opinion was duly noted the first time.
    Repeating it does not give it any additional weight.

    >I don't mind the riddle, though the subject header, "Interview
    >Questions" seems to be deliberately misleading. But the next time
    >I see your ASCII art signature will be the last.

    To your mutual benefit, no doubt. As well as that of the rest of us.

    To the OP: Your sig is just fine. Keep it as it is.

    Kenny McCormack, Mar 3, 2009
  9. kid joe

    jameskuyper Guest

    kid joe wrote:
    > Hello,
    >

    > 1. How many CLC regulars does it take to change a light bulb?

    Five:

    A. To actually change the light bulb correctly.

    B. To complain about the fact that A checked the type of the socket to
    make sure it was compatible with the replacement bulb: "There's no
    need to do that, all light bulbs have precisely the same sockets. If
    there do happen to be a few sockets that are different, they're
    obsolete and there's no reason to worry about them".

    C. To complain about the fact that A insisted on installing a 40W
    light bulb, just because the socket was rated for 40W. "It's perfectly
    safe to install a 100W light bulbs in 40W sockets, I do it all the
    time and it never causes any problems." C will refer to A as a
    "regular", as if the term were an insult, despite the fact that C
    posts to CLC just as regularly as A does.

    D. To call A a liar for claiming that he had changed the light bulb
    manually. "Every household has a Bulb-O-Matic light bulb changer, and
    Bulb-O-Matics can handle any kind of light bulb. No one can change a
    light bulb without using a Bulb-O-Matic. Therefore, if you claim that
    you've done so, you must be lying!"

    E. To pretend to be A while demonstrating how to change a light bulb
    by removing the cover of the light switch, putting one foot in a
    puddle of water while the opposite hand holds a screwdriver by the
    metal shaft as it comes close to touching the live wires behind the
    switch: "this is the safest way to change a light bulb".

    jameskuyper, Mar 3, 2009
  10. kid joe

    kid joe Guest

    On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 10:05:39 -0800, Keith Thompson wrote:
    > kid joe <> writes:
    >> 1. How many CLC regulars does it take to change a light bulb?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> ---
    >> .--------------------.

    > [28 lines deleted]
    >> \)\)\\ `-' `-'

    > The correct signature delimiter is "-- ", not "--- ".
    >
    > I've asked you before to stop using your 30-line ASCII art signature
    > here.
    >
    > I don't mind the riddle, though the subject header, "Interview
    > Questions" seems to be deliberately misleading. But the next time
    > I see your ASCII art signature will be the last.

    Hi Keith

    Just to let you know that the "interview questions" post was not made by
    me but by someone impersonating me. I've got alot of useful information
    from this group and I wouldn't go about making fun of it. I've sent an
    abuse report to his ISP dizum.

    I've also made my signature much smaller - try looking at it with a
    fixed pitch font and you'll see a bird with a greeting message.

    Best

    Joe

    --

    .---. .-----------
    / \ __ / ------

    kid joe, Mar 3, 2009
  11. kid joe

    Richard Bos Guest

    kid joe <> wrote:

    > 1. How many CLC regulars does it take to change a light bulb?

    None. We just let the trolls write some code, which will with high
    probability result in light-emitting demons flying out of their noses.

    Richard

    Richard Bos, Mar 3, 2009
  12. kid joe <> writes:
    [...]
    > Just to let you know that the "interview questions" post was not made by
    > me but by someone impersonating me. I've got alot of useful information
    > from this group and I wouldn't go about making fun of it. I've sent an
    > abuse report to his ISP dizum.
    >
    > I've also made my signature much smaller - try looking at it with a
    > fixed pitch font and you'll see a bird with a greeting message.

    Much better, thanks.

    If I might suggest a couple of additional improvements:

    The standard signature delimiter is "-- " on a line by itself; yours
    is missing the trailing space. (I'm not crazy about the requirement
    for a trailing space, but that's the standard.)

    And the usual convention is to limit your signature to 4 lines; yours
    is still at least 10. Most of us use this for contact information and
    perhaps a clever quotation, but if you want to use it for ASCII art,
    think of the 4-line limit as a challenge.

    Nokia

    Keith Thompson, Mar 3, 2009
  13. Han from China <> writes:

    > Ben Bacarisse wrote:
    >> Here's a thought: every post that refers to "regulars" should name
    >> those to which it applies. Would you be any more reluctant to mock
    >> people who post here "regularly" if you had to say who you were
    >> mocking?
    >>
    >> I have no idea if you intended to mock me or Kenny or Han or
    >> yourself... Maybe all of those? Maybe none of them? It make a
    >> difference, at least it does to me.

    > That's the point. By the common interpretation of "regular", Kenny
    > and me are regulars, because we post regularly.
    >
    > But there are people on this newsgroup who seem to think they have
    > special privileges because they're "regulars", a vacuous category
    > they seem to elevate beyond "posting regularly" to mean something
    > else entirely (what that something is, we've yet to learn, but we
    > do know that it excludes their critics). This is why most mocking
    > of those people appears in irony quotes:
    >
    > "regulars", "regs", etc.
    >
    > It's meant to stand for whatever absurd definition of "regular"
    > they have in mind, not "people who post regularly".

    I have done you the courtesy of not treating you like a fool, please
    reciprocate. Do you think any of the above is news to me?

    The issue only arises because the term is ironic and vague. It allows
    people to indulge in a chummy mocking of "others" who are not like
    "us". There would be fewer such posts if people felt they had to name
    the people they were talking about.

    --
    Ben.

    Ben Bacarisse, Mar 4, 2009
  14. Han from China <> writes:

    > Ben Bacarisse wrote:
    >> The issue only arises because the term is ironic and vague. It allows
    >> people to indulge in a chummy mocking of "others" who are not like
    >> "us".

    > Much like with the word "troll". That's a vague term as well that is
    > indulged in for chummy mocking. Any attempts to pin it down precisely
    > will almost certainly reveal that there are more trolls on this
    > newsgroup than previously thought. Just as with "regular".

    Yes. I have made my position clear on the use of that term too. Long
    before I did on this new one.

    >> There would be fewer such posts if people felt they had to name
    >> the people they were talking about.

    > If the "troll" case can be seen as a parallel, the "trolls" are named
    > on an almost daily basis.

    I am happy to ask everyone to name the people they are referring to
    when they use the term. Indeed I ask that now: please, everyone,
    rather than use the term "trolls" collectively, name the posters you
    are referring to. Will you do the same and, like I try to do, desist
    from using these vague collectives terms?

    > There's a continual stream of such posts,
    > suggesting that even if there'd be fewer posts mentioning "regs"
    > if the "regs" had to be named, there'd still be a significant chunk
    > of such messages, making any gain pretty meaningless.

    Every journey starts with a single step, and all that.

    --
    Ben.

    Ben Bacarisse, Mar 4, 2009
  15. Ben Bacarisse <> writes:
    [...]
    > I am happy to ask everyone to name the people they are referring to
    > when they use the term. Indeed I ask that now: please, everyone,
    > rather than use the term "trolls" collectively, name the posters you
    > are referring to. Will you do the same and, like I try to do, desist
    > from using these vague collectives terms?

    [...]

    I decline to accept your suggestion. The term "troll" is not defined
    by a list of people, but by their behavior. I suppose I could list
    the people who behave in that manner, but what would be the point? As
    I recall, most of the people I think of as trolls freely admit that
    they are trolls.

    Nokia

    Keith Thompson, Mar 4, 2009
  16. kid joe

    Phil Carmody Guest

    Ben Bacarisse <> writes:
    > I am happy to ask everyone to name the people they are referring to
    > when they use the term. Indeed I ask that now: please, everyone,
    > rather than use the term "trolls" collectively, name the posters you
    > are referring to. Will you do the same and, like I try to do, desist
    > from using these vague collectives terms?

    I hereby define trolls to be, for me, the people who are in my
    killfile due to their trollish behaviour.

    Their names? Ain't got a clue - out of sight, out of mind. That's
    what killfiles were invented for.

    Phil
    --
    I tried the Vista speech recognition by running the tutorial. I was
    amazed, it was awesome, recognised every word I said. Then I said the

    Phil Carmody, Mar 4, 2009
  17. Han from China <> writes:

    > I agree with Keith that we should be looking at trolling behavior,
    > not a list of people.
    >
    > I myself engage in trolling behavior.
    >
    > I see Richard Heathfield as a person who engages in trolling behavior.
    > He has been doing so for the past 4-5 years.
    >
    > I see Keith Thompson as engaging in trolling behavior when he
    > starts his provocative threads and snipes at other people on this
    > newsgroup in every third post.
    >
    > I see Chuck Falconer as a person who is deliberately trolling this
    > newsgroup. I don't know why people here give him the benefit of the
    > doubt anymore. See thread "Conclusive proof concerning CBFalconer's
    > thread annoyances".
    >
    > I see Phil Carmody as a person who engages in trolling behavior. I
    > was going to add Martin Ambuhl, but Ambuhl is just Ambuhl -- often
    > rude and obnoxious, but I wouldn't call it trolling because of
    > the way it's restricted.
    >
    > I haven't made my mind up yet about Bill Cunningham, but his posts
    > are harmless anyway.

    What was I thinking? Apologies to all.

    --
    Ben.

    Ben Bacarisse, Mar 4, 2009
  18. kid joe

    G.S. Ohm Guest

    kid joe <> wrote:

    >1. How many CLC regulars does it take to change a light bulb?

    2. How many CLC trolls does it take to change TWO light bulbs?

    G.
    --
    U = I * R

    G.S. Ohm, Mar 5, 2009
  19. kid joe

    Phil Carmody Guest

    Ben Bacarisse <> writes:
    > Han from China <> writes:
    >
    >> I agree with Keith that we should be looking at trolling behavior,
    >> not a list of people.
    >>
    >> I myself engage in trolling behavior.
    >>
    >> I see Richard Heathfield as a person who engages in trolling behavior.
    >> He has been doing so for the past 4-5 years.
    >>
    >> I see Keith Thompson as engaging in trolling behavior when he
    >> starts his provocative threads and snipes at other people on this
    >> newsgroup in every third post.
    >>
    >> I see Chuck Falconer as a person who is deliberately trolling this
    >> newsgroup. I don't know why people here give him the benefit of the
    >> doubt anymore. See thread "Conclusive proof concerning CBFalconer's
    >> thread annoyances".
    >>
    >> I see Phil Carmody as a person who engages in trolling behavior. I

    Pah - I even add X-Troll headers so that those who think that they
    are being trolled can double-check to see whether they should bite
    or not - how considerate is that?

    >> was going to add Martin Ambuhl, but Ambuhl is just Ambuhl -- often
    >> rude and obnoxious, but I wouldn't call it trolling because of
    >> the way it's restricted.
    >>
    >> I haven't made my mind up yet about Bill Cunningham, but his posts
    >> are harmless anyway.

    > What was I thinking?

    You were obviously trolling for some kind of response... ;-)

    > Apologies to all.

    NP!

    Phil

    Phil Carmody, Mar 5, 2009
  20. kid joe

    Rafael Guest

    Keith Thompson escreveu:
    > kid joe <> writes:
    > [...]
    >> Just to let you know that the "interview questions" post was not made by
    >> me but by someone impersonating me. I've got alot of useful information
    >> from this group and I wouldn't go about making fun of it. I've sent an
    >> abuse report to his ISP dizum.
    >>
    >> I've also made my signature much smaller - try looking at it with a
    >> fixed pitch font and you'll see a bird with a greeting message.

    > Much better, thanks.
    >
    > If I might suggest a couple of additional improvements:
    >
    > The standard signature delimiter is "-- " on a line by itself; yours
    > is missing the trailing space. (I'm not crazy about the requirement
    > for a trailing space, but that's the standard.)
    >
    > And the usual convention is to limit your signature to 4 lines; yours
    > is still at least 10. Most of us use this for contact information and
    > perhaps a clever quotation, but if you want to use it for ASCII art,
    > think of the 4-line limit as a challenge.

    Yes, and his shoes are ugly. Tell him to buy new ones. White ones. As
    the standard says.

    Rafael, Mar 6, 2009