Intranet Blog\Forum software for business use

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by JeffDotNet, Feb 16, 2008.

  1. JeffDotNet

    JeffDotNet Guest

    I’m interested in setting up an Intranet blog/forum application for work.
    The idea is to have people in the office blog about projects they are working
    on and problems they are facing. We will still need to have a site moderator
    that approves the blog entries prior to posting. And we would also like to
    be able to control the access level of the viewing user to determine which
    posts they may view. I have been developing asp.net apps for several years
    with IIS…I have a good idea of how I would implement if from scratch…but I
    would like to avoid reinventing the wheel. My schedule is pretty tight at
    work and I’m trying to find application template to avoid creating this site
    from scratch I have heard that PHPBB is a popular choice…but I don’t have
    any experience with it. I would also like to be able extend the application
    with custom asp.net controls if possible. I have heard that
    CommunityServer.org might be a good option but it is only free for
    non-commercial use. Our software budget is tightening at work so adding
    new costs is not going to be popular when we don’t have an absolute need.
    Someone had mentioned share point however I wasn’t sure this would really get
    me a head start on this application. I have team addition for developers so
    I suspect that I may already have access to a good tool for the job.

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

    Jeff

    JeffDotNet, Feb 16, 2008

  2. On Feb 16, 7:50 pm, JeffDotNet <> wrote:
    > I'm interested in setting up an Intranet blog/forum application for work.
    > The idea is to have people in the office blog about projects they are working
    > on and problems they are facing. We will still need to have a site moderator
    > that approves the blog entries prior to posting. And we would also like to
    > be able to control the access level of the viewing user to determine which
    > posts they may view. I have been developing asp.net apps for several years
    > with IIS...I have a good idea of how I would implement if from scratch...but I
    > would like to avoid reinventing the wheel. My schedule is pretty tight at
    > work and I'm trying to find application template to avoid creating this site
    > from scratch I have heard that PHPBB is a popular choice...but I don't have
    > any experience with it. I would also like to be able extend the application
    > with custom asp.net controls if possible. I have heard that
    > CommunityServer.org might be a good option but it is only free for
    > non-commercial use. Our software budget is tightening at work so adding
    > new costs is not going to be popular when we don't have an absolute need.
    > Someone had mentioned share point however I wasn't sure this would really get
    > me a head start on this application. I have team addition for developers so
    > I suspect that I may already have access to a good tool for the job.
    >
    > Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
    >
    > Jeff

    You can try WSS (Windows SharePoint Services 3.0, it is a free feature
    of Windows 2003)

    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointtechnology/HA101726561033.aspx

    For approval in WSS you would need to create a workflow.

    Alexey Smirnov, Feb 17, 2008

  3. JeffDotNet

    Steven Cheng Guest

    Hi Jeff,

    If you do not plan to adopt any 3rd party blog application, I agree with
    Alexy that the windows sharepoint service(3.0) is a good one for building
    intranet portal which can give you powerful functions such as creating
    per-user based site, document library , access control .....

    Currently WSS 3.0 is a free component which can got in the following site:

    #Download Windows SharePoint Services 3.0
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/sharepoint/bb400747.aspx

    You can find more info about it in the tech center of it:

    #Windows SharePoint Services TechCenter
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/sharepoint/default.aspx

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    ications.

    --------------------

    \

    Steven Cheng, Feb 18, 2008
  4. JeffDotNet

    JeffDotNet Guest

    Thanks Steven!

    JeffDotNet, Feb 19, 2008
  5. JeffDotNet

    JeffDotNet Guest

    Thanks Alexey!

    JeffDotNet, Feb 19, 2008
  6. JeffDotNet

    JeffDotNet Guest

    Steven,

    My development box is a
    P4 1.7Ghz
    With 512MB of RAM

    It appears that WSS 3.0 will not run on my development box. It should be
    fine on my production box. Would I be able to develop on my laptop running
    XP?

    Do you have any other recommendations?

    JeffDotNet, Feb 19, 2008
  7. "JeffDotNet" <> wrote in message

    > My development box is a
    > P4 1.7Ghz
    > With 512MB of RAM

    That is woefully inadequate...

    > Do you have any other recommendations?

    Get a decent specification development machine - a CoreDuo with at least 2GB
    RAM...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP

    Mark Rae [MVP], Feb 19, 2008
  8. On Feb 19, 10:19 pm, JeffDotNet <> wrote:
    > Steven,
    >
    > My development box is a
    >    P4 1.7Ghz
    >    With 512MB of RAM
    >
    > It appears that WSS 3.0 will not run on my development box.  It should be
    > fine on my production box.  Would I be able to develop on my laptop running
    > XP?
    >
    > Do you have any other recommendations?

    If you would have more RAM (at least 2Gb) you could virtualize Win2003
    on your XP box. I'm using WMware for that purpose. It's also possible
    to do this using Microsoft Virtual PC and/or VirtualBox.

    Alexey Smirnov, Feb 19, 2008