intranet website and image caching

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by boriq, Apr 27, 2007.

  1. boriq

    boriq Guest

    Hallo,

    I created a project with more that 1000 different pictures in it. The
    project website is divided into more subpages. Problem is that these
    pages (pictures) are not cached on local harddisc and loading time
    through the intranet is very long.
    For example: When I click on a link to subpage1 all the pictures from
    subpage1 are loaded in browser's memory, then when I click on the
    subpage2, all pictures from subpage1 that are in browser's memory are
    deleted and pictures from subpage2 are loaded in memory and so on...
    so the pictures have to be loaded (through intranet) every time.

    Is there a way how to solve it with a help of JavaScript?
    I tried something with image preload, but with no success.

    I'm using IE 6.

    thanks in advance
    Rg,
    Boris
    boriq, Apr 27, 2007

  2. On Apr 27, 7:43 am, boriq <> wrote:
    > Hallo,
    >
    > I created a project with more that 1000 different pictures in it. The
    > project website is divided into more subpages. Problem is that these
    > pages (pictures) are not cached on local harddisc and loading time
    > through the intranet is very long.

    intranet or internet?

    Are you setting the cache headers of the images correctly with your
    server (eg Apache)?

    Peter
    Peter Michaux, Apr 27, 2007

  3. boriq

    boriq Guest

    Peter Michaux napĂ­sal(a):
    > On Apr 27, 7:43 am, boriq <> wrote:
    > > Hallo,
    > >
    > > I created a project with more that 1000 different pictures in it. The
    > > project website is divided into more subpages. Problem is that these
    > > pages (pictures) are not cached on local harddisc and loading time
    > > through the intranet is very long.

    > intranet or internet?
    >
    > Are you setting the cache headers of the images correctly with your
    > server (eg Apache)?
    >
    > Peter

    intranet, the project is only for internal purpose. I have no cache
    header. It only simple html code. There is no server. The website is
    only a html file with directory structure saved in a directory on the
    intranet.
    boriq, Apr 27, 2007
  4. boriq

    Evertjan. Guest

    boriq wrote on 27 apr 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:

    > intranet, the project is only for internal purpose. I have no cache
    > header. It only simple html code. There is no server. The website is
    > only a html file with directory structure saved in a directory on the
    > intranet.

    Without a server there is no intranet.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Apr 27, 2007
  5. boriq

    Guest

    On Apr 27, 11:27 pm, "Evertjan." <>
    wrote:
    > boriq wrote on 27 apr 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:
    >
    > > intranet, the project is only for internal purpose. I have no cache
    > > header. It only simple html code. There is no server. The website is
    > > only a html file with directory structure saved in a directory on the
    > > intranet.

    > Without a server there is no intranet.

    That is *very* disputable. Actually Wikipedia's definition
    of the word intranet doesn't agree with your statement, even
    though they write that: "sometimes the term Intranet is used
    to refer to the company's internal website". (notice
    the "sometimes", which validates my point, not yours)

    Just as I think that the Web isn't Internet I think
    that the company's internal website isn't the intranet...
    And a great many people do share my definition
    of what an intranet is.
    , Apr 28, 2007
  6. On Apr 27, 7:51 pm, wrote:
    > On Apr 27, 11:27 pm, "Evertjan." <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > boriq wrote on 27 apr 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:

    > > > intranet, the project is only for internal purpose. I have no cache
    > > > header. It only simple html code. There is no server. The website is
    > > > only a html file with directory structure saved in a directory on the
    > > > intranet.

    > > Without a server there is no intranet.

    > That is *very* disputable. Actually Wikipedia's definition
    > of the word intranet doesn't agree with your statement, even
    > though they write that: "sometimes the term Intranet is used
    > to refer to the company's internal website". (notice
    > the "sometimes", which validates my point, not yours)

    If two computers on any intr*net are sharing a file then one is the
    server and one is the client. These two computers can both be plain
    old PCs and this it doesn't matter if the file is HTML or not.

    > Just as I think that the Web isn't Internet I think
    > that the company's internal website isn't the intranet...

    The Web runs on the Internet

    > And a great many people do share my definition
    > of what an intranet is.

    What do you think an intranet is?

    Peter
    Peter Michaux, Apr 28, 2007
  7. boriq

    boriq Guest

    On 28 Apr., 05:34, Peter Michaux <> wrote:
    > On Apr 27, 7:51 pm, wrote:
    >

    > > On Apr 27, 11:27 pm, "Evertjan." <>
    > > wrote:

    > > > Without a server there is no intranet.

    > > That is *very* disputable. Actually Wikipedia's definition
    > > of the word intranet doesn't agree with your statement, even
    > > though they write that: "sometimes the term Intranet is used
    > > to refer to the company's internal website". (notice
    > > the "sometimes", which validates my point, not yours)

    > If two computers on any intr*net are sharing a file then one is the
    > server and one is the client. These two computers can both be plain
    > old PCs and this it doesn't matter if the file is HTML or not.
    >
    > > Just as I think that the Web isn't Internet I think
    > > that the company's internal website isn't the intranet...

    > The Web runs on the Internet
    >
    > > And a great many people do share my definition
    > > of what an intranet is.

    > What do you think an intranet is?
    >
    > Peter- Zitierten Text ausblenden -
    >
    > - Zitierten Text anzeigen -

    OK, but the problem is not in server, the problem is that when I have
    a website that is loaded from harddisc or intranet that means in
    address bar starts with C:\dir\web.html or \\server\dir\web.html its
    not cached
    boriq, Apr 30, 2007