intranet website and image caching

boriq

Hallo,

I created a project with more that 1000 different pictures in it. The
project website is divided into more subpages. Problem is that these
pages (pictures) are not cached on local harddisc and loading time
through the intranet is very long.
For example: When I click on a link to subpage1 all the pictures from
subpage1 are loaded in browser's memory, then when I click on the
subpage2, all pictures from subpage1 that are in browser's memory are
deleted and pictures from subpage2 are loaded in memory and so on...
so the pictures have to be loaded (through intranet) every time.

Is there a way how to solve it with a help of JavaScript?
I tried something with image preload, but with no success.

I'm using IE 6.

thanks in advance
Rg,
Boris

Peter Michaux

Hallo,

I created a project with more that 1000 different pictures in it. The
project website is divided into more subpages. Problem is that these
pages (pictures) are not cached on local harddisc and loading time
through the intranet is very long.

intranet or internet?

Are you setting the cache headers of the images correctly with your
server (eg Apache)?

Peter

boriq

Peter Michaux napísal(a):
intranet or internet?

Are you setting the cache headers of the images correctly with your
server (eg Apache)?

Peter

intranet, the project is only for internal purpose. I have no cache
header. It only simple html code. There is no server. The website is
only a html file with directory structure saved in a directory on the
intranet.

Evertjan.

boriq wrote on 27 apr 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:
intranet, the project is only for internal purpose. I have no cache
header. It only simple html code. There is no server. The website is
only a html file with directory structure saved in a directory on the
intranet.

Without a server there is no intranet.

jacma983

boriq wrote on 27 apr 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:

Without a server there is no intranet.

That is *very* disputable. Actually Wikipedia's definition
of the word intranet doesn't agree with your statement, even
though they write that: "sometimes the term Intranet is used
to refer to the company's internal website". (notice
the "sometimes", which validates my point, not yours)

Just as I think that the Web isn't Internet I think
that the company's internal website isn't the intranet...
And a great many people do share my definition
of what an intranet is.

Peter Michaux

That is *very* disputable. Actually Wikipedia's definition
of the word intranet doesn't agree with your statement, even
though they write that: "sometimes the term Intranet is used
to refer to the company's internal website". (notice
the "sometimes", which validates my point, not yours)

If two computers on any intr*net are sharing a file then one is the
server and one is the client. These two computers can both be plain
old PCs and this it doesn't matter if the file is HTML or not.
Just as I think that the Web isn't Internet I think
that the company's internal website isn't the intranet...

The Web runs on the Internet
And a great many people do share my definition
of what an intranet is.

What do you think an intranet is?

Peter

boriq

If two computers on any intr*net are sharing a file then one is the
server and one is the client. These two computers can both be plain
old PCs and this it doesn't matter if the file is HTML or not.

The Web runs on the Internet

What do you think an intranet is?

Peter- Zitierten Text ausblenden -

- Zitierten Text anzeigen -

OK, but the problem is not in server, the problem is that when I have
a website that is loaded from harddisc or intranet that means in
address bar starts with C:\dir\web.html or \\server\dir\web.html its
not cached