Introducing ME - and I also have a question

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Patches Forever, Feb 19, 2007.

  1. My web pages are simple but they get the info out there and aren't that
    cumbersome to use. I use Word97 to build a table and save the file as HTML.
    Then I tinker with the HTML and experiment by adding things in the Word
    document and seeing what it looks like in HTML form. Tables link to other
    tables of JPG files or MP3 files. It works good and looks attractive if I
    invest some time in it. I look at simple reference material about HTML and
    try out ideas I get from there. I mostly just use Notepad and Word97, and
    test the results using Windows, IExplorer, WinMP, etc.

    I've learned lots of other kinds of software tools and apps in past years
    and there's no room left in my head for much of anything new. No time for
    Web Publishing Software - though I have tinkered with some. What I'm saying
    is that I'm not terribly lazy or stupid - but I want to stick with basics if
    I can.

    QUESTION: If I have an MP3 file on my website and a link to the MP3 on a
    webpage, then when I click the link IE will start Windows Media Player which
    then plays the audio file. OKay. Windows Media Player also uses WPL files
    called Playlists. I created a WPL file that is a list of links to MP3 files
    on my computer (i.e. files not uploaded yet) and then put a link to the WPL
    file in a page on the PC (not uploaded). When I click the link IExp starts
    WinMP and the playlist is recognized and the MP3s are played in sequence.
    Okay. I uploaded it all to my webspace and opened the page in IExp but when
    I click the link to the WPL file it doesn't start up WinMP. Instead IExp
    displays a blank page that has the same name as the playlist.

    When I look at the WPL file in Notepad I see that it looks like HTML.
    Perhaps there is something I can write in the WPL file that will cause WinMP
    to start up and sequentially play the list of links. But maybe the issue is
    a setting in Windows - so this idea won't work if the computer isn't set up
    for it. Can someone tell me where to look to understand what the stuff in
    the WPL file is doing? It looks like this:

    <?wpl version="1.0"?>
    <smil>
    <head>
    11.0.5721.5145"/>
    <author/>
    <title>No. 9</title>
    </head>
    <seq>
    <media src="http://www.xyz.com/audio1/symphony9_1.mp3"/>
    <media src="http://www.xyz.com/audio1/symphony9_2.mp3"/>
    <media src="http://www.xyz.com/audio1/symphony9_3.mp3"/>
    <media src="http://www.xyz.com/audio1/symphony9_4.mp3"/>
    <media src="http://www.xyz.com/audio1/symphony9_5.mp3"/>
    </seq>
    </smil>

    Patches Forever, Feb 19, 2007

  2. Patches Forever

    Ben C Guest

    On 2007-02-19, Patches Forever <> wrote:
    > My web pages are simple but they get the info out there and aren't that
    > cumbersome to use. I use Word97 to build a table and save the file as HTML.
    > Then I tinker with the HTML and experiment by adding things in the Word
    > document and seeing what it looks like in HTML form.

    That sounds rather like trying to repair a basket of broken eggs in a
    coal cellar using a piece of wire through the keyhole, but if it works
    for you.

    [...]
    > QUESTION: If I have an MP3 file on my website and a link to the MP3 on a
    > webpage, then when I click the link IE will start Windows Media Player which
    > then plays the audio file. OKay. Windows Media Player also uses WPL files
    > called Playlists. I created a WPL file that is a list of links to MP3 files
    > on my computer (i.e. files not uploaded yet) and then put a link to the WPL
    > file in a page on the PC (not uploaded). When I click the link IExp starts
    > WinMP and the playlist is recognized and the MP3s are played in sequence.
    > Okay. I uploaded it all to my webspace and opened the page in IExp but when
    > I click the link to the WPL file it doesn't start up WinMP. Instead IExp
    > displays a blank page that has the same name as the playlist.

    This might be deliberate. It's one thing to associate a playlist on your
    own hard disk with playing it, but things coming from the internet are
    less trusted. If there any security vulnerabilities in the way WinAMP
    plays playlists then they would suddenly be open to malicious webpages.

    > When I look at the WPL file in Notepad I see that it looks like HTML.

    It's XML, which does look a bit like HTML. But no particular reason to
    think it should therefore be interoperable with a browser-- XML is used
    for a lot of things.

    > Perhaps there is something I can write in the WPL file that will cause WinMP
    > to start up and sequentially play the list of links. But maybe the issue is
    > a setting in Windows - so this idea won't work if the computer isn't set up
    > for it.

    I think it probably would (and certainly should) be a setting in
    Windows. The other point is that even if you do get it to work, make
    sure you don't end up with something that doesn't work for people who
    aren't using Windows or IE.

    If a playlist works from the local disk even if it references files on
    the internet, then you could just present the playlist for download,
    with instructions about how to save and launch it in WinMP for users
    that are interested.

    Ben C, Feb 19, 2007

  3. Patches Forever wrote:

    > I click the link to the WPL file it doesn't start up WinMP. Instead IExp
    > displays a blank page that has the same name as the playlist.

    I'm guessing that your server is not correctly configured to provide the
    correct MIME type for the file. Exactly how to configure the server
    depends very much on what server software you are using. (The most common
    is Apache, but there are many others.)

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Geek of ~ HTML/SQL/Perl/PHP/Python*/Apache/Linux

    * = I'm getting there!

    Toby A Inkster, Feb 19, 2007