    I'd be interested to hear from any other Open Source hardware hackers who
    might be interested in what I'm doing.

    Pete
    Pete Bleackley, Sep 19, 2006

  2. Pete Bleackley

    Guest

    Pete Bleackley wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > I'm Pete Bleackley. I'm a Research Engineer, working for the BBC. My job is
    > to implement the Dirac Open Source video compression system in VHDL. I've
    > just completed modules for arithmetic coding and decoding, which can be
    > found at
    >
    > http://www.opencores.org/projects.cgi/web/dirac/overview
    >
    > This code is available under the MPL, GPL and LGPL.
    >
    > I'd be interested to hear from any other Open Source hardware hackers who
    > might be interested in what I'm doing.
    >
    > Pete

    kudos to BBC for this work.

    I understand that the code is under xxGL, but is the codec itself under
    any patents?

    burns
    , Sep 19, 2006

  3. <> wrote in message
    > Pete Bleackley wrote:
    >>
    >> http://www.opencores.org/projects.cgi/web/dirac/overview
    >>
    >> This code is available under the MPL, GPL and LGPL.
    >>
    >> I'd be interested to hear from any other Open Source hardware hackers who
    >> might be interested in what I'm doing.
    >>
    >> Pete

    > kudos to BBC for this work.

    Thank you.

    > I understand that the code is under xxGL, but is the codec itself under
    > any patents?

    The BBC has some purely defensive patents on some parts of the algorithm,
    mainly because that seems to be the only effective way to stop anybody else
    from patenting the techniques. Where possible we've used techniques that
    have a long history in academic literature that we can cite as prior art
    against hostile patent claims. With regard to our own patents, one of the
    provisions of the MPL is that it requires all contributors to licence
    applicable patents free of charge, irrevocably. This was one of our reasons
    for licensing under MPL, since we knew that this was an issue we'd have to
    deal with.

    Thank you for asking - it's a frequently asked question, and an important
    one for me to answer.

    Pete
    Pete Bleackley, Sep 20, 2006
  4. Pete Bleackley

    rickman Guest

    Pete Bleackley wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > > I understand that the code is under xxGL, but is the codec itself under
    > > any patents?
    > >

    > The BBC has some purely defensive patents on some parts of the algorithm,
    > mainly because that seems to be the only effective way to stop anybody else
    > from patenting the techniques. Where possible we've used techniques that
    > have a long history in academic literature that we can cite as prior art
    > against hostile patent claims. With regard to our own patents, one of the
    > provisions of the MPL is that it requires all contributors to licence
    > applicable patents free of charge, irrevocably. This was one of our reasons
    > for licensing under MPL, since we knew that this was an issue we'd have to
    > deal with.
    >
    > Thank you for asking - it's a frequently asked question, and an important
    > one for me to answer.

    Maybe I don't understand patents. I thought a patent had to be an
    original work and not in the public domain. If you provided public
    info on a patent more than a year before you apply your patent can be
    denied. So I guess someone would have a year after you made it public
    to steal the patent... oh well!
    rickman, Sep 20, 2006