introduction to ASP

Neil Greenough

I ain't got the foggiest about ASP, but I know I need to use it to create
what I am after in my website. Could anyone please give me a brief
introduction about ASP, example how you enter it into a webpage, using VB
Script or something else, does your server need to support it etc??? Also,
if anyone is willing to help me out, then please email us to let me know. I
know this is a forum and so my question should be here to discuss with
everyone, however I ain't too sure what my question is yet (if that makes
sense!)

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

Neil Greenough said:
I ain't got the foggiest about ASP, but I know I need to use it to create
what I am after in my website. Could anyone please give me a brief
introduction about ASP, example how you enter it into a webpage, using VB
Script or something else, does your server need to support it etc??? Also,
if anyone is willing to help me out, then please email us to let me know. I
know this is a forum and so my question should be here to discuss with
everyone, however I ain't too sure what my question is yet (if that makes
sense!)

Start here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnasp/html/aspover.asp
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/nhp/default.asp?contentid=28000522
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/iissdk/iis/iis_web_pages.asp

--
Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

CJM

Neil Greenough said:
I ain't got the foggiest about ASP, but I know I need to use it to create
what I am after in my website. Could anyone please give me a brief
introduction about ASP, example how you enter it into a webpage, using VB
Script or something else, does your server need to support it etc??? Also,
if anyone is willing to help me out, then please email us to let me know. I
know this is a forum and so my question should be here to discuss with
everyone, however I ain't too sure what my question is yet (if that makes
sense!)

If you'd checked out Hasan Kachal's thread ('ASP code reference
guide/glossary') from yesterday evening, you'd find pointers to some good
tutorial and reference sites.

Have a look at them. Have a go, and when you get stuck, post a specific
question on here, and we will try to help.

You say you need to use ASP. Why? There are other technologies that can do
similar stuff. I'd obviously recommend ASP, but you should be aware that
there are other options.

Chris

Neil Greenough

What other options are there? Basically, here's what i'm after. If you could
suggest the best script to use:-

I have a MS Access 2000 database with a few prices in them. Each price
relates to three specific categories, with many options in each category.
Now, what I want is for this to be transferred into a userform on an
internet website. So for example, a user is able to choose a specific item
from each category, and then a quantity at the end, click 'go' and then a
total price is given to them. The total price is worked out by
cross-referencing the quantity to the info from the database.

Roland Hall

:
: I have a MS Access 2000 database with a few prices in them. Each price
: relates to three specific categories, with many options in each category.
: Now, what I want is for this to be transferred into a userform on an
: internet website. So for example, a user is able to choose a specific item
: from each category, and then a quantity at the end, click 'go' and then a
: total price is given to them. The total price is worked out by
: cross-referencing the quantity to the info from the database.
:

If you're using MS Access, then your web server should be running on IIS
which runs on NT/2000. If so, then ASP will work fine.

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

CJM

ASP is fine for what you want to do... It was just that you seemed to know
so little about these web technologies, yet you were adamant that you
specifically needed to use ASP. Without some idea of what you were doing, I
was just challenging that.

You could use other technologies such as ASP.NET or PHP for this, but
needless to say I woudl support using ASP. But that is just my preference.

Did you look at the previous thread? There were some good ASP resources
listed.

hth

Chris