Introduction

ZS@SCHS

Hello, everybody. I am a student at Sussex Central High School, and
our teacher suggested that we join a newsgroup pertaining to the
language we are learning (in this case, Java).

Questions probably coming in the near future :) Until then, merely a
test ... testing 1 ... 2 ... 3 ...

Sudsy

ZS@SCHS said:
Hello, everybody. I am a student at Sussex Central High School, and
our teacher suggested that we join a newsgroup pertaining to the
language we are learning (in this case, Java).

Questions probably coming in the near future :) Until then, merely a
test ... testing 1 ... 2 ... 3 ...

Will someone please contact all these educators and explain to them
that this is NOT the ng for beginner questions? Sheesh!

Andrew Thompson

I am a student at Sussex Central High School, ...

This one?
<http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/browse_school/va/1715/>

Your teacher's advice was ill-advised, since they
apparently do not understand how the public newsgroups
work. Ask the teacher to post here, or get in contact
with me through my internet sites.

--
Andrew Thompson

Chris Uppal

Sudsy said:
Will someone please contact all these educators and explain to them
that this is NOT the ng for beginner questions? Sheesh!

It would appear that the SSHS is

Sussex Central High School
26026 Patriots Way
Georgetown, DE 19947
(302) 934-3166

(There's more than 1 SSHS, but all the postings are from the same IP block,
167.21.1.227 or 228, and appears to belong to the State of Delaware dept of
Technology and Information, so I think the connection is clear).

It /appears/ that the school has a website at:

http://www.k12.de.us/suscenths/faculty.htm

which includes email contact links.

Personally, I doubt if I'll follow up on this (not unless the kids become a
nuisance), it looks as if it was just a small class taking turns to post
essentially the same message from their yahoo accounts.

Still it would have been better if their teacher had bothered to explain how
newsgoups work before setting the assignment.

-- chris

Bryce

Will someone please contact all these educators and explain to them
that this is NOT the ng for beginner questions? Sheesh!

Nor for J# questions, which the others who posted mentioned.

Jim Cochrane

Hello, everybody. I am a student at Sussex Central High School, and
our teacher suggested that we join a newsgroup pertaining to the
language we are learning (in this case, Java).

Questions probably coming in the near future :) Until then, merely a
test ... testing 1 ... 2 ... 3 ...

A good place to start, to learn how to post to usenet groups (such as
this one), is to have your teacher read this:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/posting-rules/part1/

and then for you, his/her students, to read it.

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen [TeamB]

Sudsy said:
Will someone please contact all these educators and explain to them
that this is NOT the ng for beginner questions? Sheesh!

Their instructor has wisely made them create non-school mail adrresses
to use, but since they actually tell us the name of the school that
fails to prevent us from reaching them. Mo-ha-ha! Let the games begin.

Internet - now with twice the September!

Alex Hunsley

ZS@SCHS said:
Hello, everybody. I am a student at Sussex Central High School, and
our teacher suggested that we join a newsgroup pertaining to the
language we are learning (in this case, Java).

Questions probably coming in the near future :) Until then, merely a
test ... testing 1 ... 2 ... 3 ...

use comp.lang.java.help, and please tell your teacher that is the
appropriate group.

ZS@SCHS

I see ... She will be informed thus.

Thanks for the link and the response. Our teacher did ask us to post in here ...

I shant bug you all again.

Sudsy

ZS@SCHS said:
I see ... She will be informed thus.

Thanks for the link and the response. Our teacher did ask us to post in here ...

I shant bug you all again.

Given the spate of messages which arrived at almost the same time, I'd
guess that it was triggered by an article in "NEA Today" or something
on their website.
In fact, it sounds like advice from someone who doesn't have a lot of
experience and who confused a couple of different venues:
- newsgroups (especially the unmoderated ones) can be a free-for-all,
not particularly suited to tyros (would your teacher suggest that
you play on the freeways?)
- mailing lists tend to be moderated, require someone to subscribe,
and introductions are welcome (expected, appreciated, etc.)
So if someone confused the two then they might recommend a practice
which, while perfectly acceptable in one, would be completely in-
appropriate in the other.
As many have already suggested, comp.lang.java.help is an appropriate
newsgroup for beginners. Once you get up to speed then most of the
people who post here on a regular basis would likely welcome your
questions. Just make sure that you've made a "best effort" first ;-)
Feel free to pass this reply along to your teacher (the return address
is valid) so that we can correct the misconceptions.

Enjoy!