Invalid Cast Exception Calling Bsse Class Method

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Nick Flandry, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. Nick Flandry

    Nick Flandry Guest

    I'm running into an Invalid Cast Exception on an ASP.NET application that runs fine in my
    development environment (Win2K server running IIS 5) and a test environment (also Win2K server
    running IIS 5), but fails on IIS 6 running on a Win2003 server.

    The web uses Pages derived from a custom class I wrote (which itself derives from Page) to provide
    some common functionality. The Page_Load handler the failing webpage starts out like this:

    public class index : SitePage {

    /* snip */

    protected override void Page_Load(object sender, System.EventArgs e) {
    base.Page_Load(sender, e);

    SitePage is the custom-built class that derives from the Page class.

    In other words, all I'm doing is trying to call a method in the base class to the Page.

    >>Any<< call to a base class method throws an InvalidCastException.

    Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? Am I not allowed to call base methods in an
    ASP.NET application?

    - Nick

    Nick Flandry, Feb 6, 2004

  2. Hi Nick,

    Thanks for posting in the community!
    From your description, you encountered the "Invalid Cast Exception" in a
    certain ASP.NET web page which derived from a custom parent page class.
    Also, the exception occured when calling the parent page class's Page_Load
    function, yes?

    As for this problem, I'd like to confirm some further things on it:
    1. As you mentioned the error page's Page_Load calls the base.Page_Load
    then run into the error. Are you sure that it was at that point the Error
    occurs or is there any thingelse suspicious in the error page's Page_Load
    method? You can add a "try .... catch" block to establish this.

    2. If the exception does occur when calling the "base.Page_Load" in the
    derived page's Page_Load method, would you please try creating another
    virutual method in the parent page and then override the method in the
    derived page and also call "base.suchmethod" in it to see whether the same
    problem occurs?

    3. If the error doesn't occur in #2, I think the problem may due to
    something with the certain "Page_Load" method. Is there any particular
    operations in the parent page's Page_Load?

    Please check out the above items. If you have any questions or got any new
    findings, please feel free to let me know.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Feb 6, 2004

  3. Nick Flandry

    Nick Flandry Guest

    >As for this problem, I'd like to confirm some further things on it:
    >1. As you mentioned the error page's Page_Load calls the base.Page_Load
    >then run into the error. Are you sure that it was at that point the Error
    >occurs or is there any thingelse suspicious in the error page's Page_Load
    >method? You can add a "try .... catch" block to establish this.

    I didn't use try/catch, but I did use multiple Response.Write()/Response.End() pairs to verify that
    it was, in fact, precisely the line base.Page_Load() that caused the problem. I also used the
    Response.Write()/Response.End() approach to show that execution never got "into" the base class; it
    was the base.Page_Load() statement itself that blew up.

    >2. If the exception does occur when calling the "base.Page_Load" in the
    >derived page's Page_Load method, would you please try creating another
    >virutual method in the parent page and then override the method in the
    >derived page and also call "base.suchmethod" in it to see whether the same
    >problem occurs?

    Good question. I'd done that, yes, and the same problem occurred.

    - Nick

    Nick Flandry, Feb 6, 2004
  4. Hi Nick,

    Thank you for the response. Regarding on the issue, I am
    finding proper resource to assist you and we will update as soon as posible.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security(This posting is provided "AS IS",
    with no warranties, and confers no rights.)

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Feb 7, 2004
  5. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From: Nick Flandry <>
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    Subject: Invalid Cast Exception Calling Bsse Class Method
    Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 17:17:55 -0800

    To: Internal
    From: (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
    Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 09:59:14 GMT

    Changes:
    Owner from: <none> to V-SCHANG
    Product from: <none> to Visual Studio .NET Ent Arc 2003
    Issue Code from: <none> to ASP.NET (Web Apps)

    Comments:
    PROBLEM:
    The customer encountered "Invalid Cast Exception" in a certain ASP.NET web
    page ,which derived
    from a custom parent page class. Also, in the page's Page_Load event, it
    calls its parent page's Page_Load function.
    And the problem occurs on a WinServer 2003 machine rather than win2k

    From: (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
    Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 10:29:32 GMT

    Changes:

    Comments:
    No valid email address found

    From: Nick Flandry <>
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 06:46:36 -0800

    From: ("Mike Moore [MSFT]")
    Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 18:51:26 GMT

    Changes:
    Status from: Open: Pending research to Escalated
    Owner from: V-SCHANG to michmo

    Comments:
    I created SRX040209603257
    mgraham agreed to take the case.

    To: Internal
    From: ("Mike Moore [MSFT]")
    Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 19:25:27 GMT

    From: (Michael Graham (MS))
    Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 19:27:39 GMT

    Hey Mark,

    My name is Michael and I'm with the ASP .NET team. I have been asked to
    look at this newsgroup issue that you have posted, since we couldn't come
    to an immediate solution. If possible, would you be able to create a
    simple sample that shows the issue that you are having? I have tested
    this here, and I cannot reproduce your issue. It works on Windows 2000 and
    Windows 2003. I'd like to try the way that you are doing this. I have
    sent you an email from my main Microsoft accout. Please send me the repro
    that you are using. I can send you mine, also, if you would like. Please
    drop me a quick note and let me know if you would be able to zip up a quick
    sample.

    Thanks!

    Michael

    Michael Graham, Feb 11, 2004
  6. Hello all,

    My name is Michael, and I will be working with the customer offline. I
    will post the resolution to this site when we find out the problem and
    resolution. Mark is currently working on something else so we will get to
    this sometime next week.

    Michael

    Michael Graham[MSFT], Feb 12, 2004