HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 02:20:37 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.26 (Unix) Debian GNU/Linux
Last-Modified: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 02:10:21 GMT
ETag: "6374b-12f-40380f8d"
Accept-Ranges: bytes

As you can see the content type is set correctly, and I have even forced UTF-8
according to Sun documentation. Here is a dump of the actual jad file:

PurpleCivic:/var/www/midi# lynx -dump
http://localhost/midi/MobileWinampController.jad

MIDlet-1: MobileWinampController, MobileWinampController.png,
MobileWinampControllerMIDlet
MIDlet-Jar-Size: 3156
MIDlet-Jar-URL: MobileWinampController.jar
MIDlet-Name: MobileWinampController
MIDlet-Vendor: Unknown
MIDlet-Version: 1.0
MicroEdition-Configuration: CLDC-1.0
MicroEdition-Profile: MIDP-2.0

Now if I check my web server access log I can see that the phone downloaded the
..jad file, but didn't bother to try and get the .jar file after it determined
the .jad file had an "Invalid descriptor." But what could be wrong with the .jad
file KToolbar created?

I have also tried to get some of the free midlets from
http://www.spruce.jp/freemidlets/ and get the same error. Can someone give me a
hand here? I am new to this whole midlet thing, but it can't be that hard to
load one.

Lindsay

Darryl L. Pierce,,,

Lindsay said:
Hey All,

I have written a J2ME Midlet, built it, and run it in KToolbar. The
emulator runs it great, but when I try and load the jad and jar files into
my phone, a Sanyo VM4500/SCP-5500, the messaage "Data Error 906 - Invalid
Descriptor" flashes, and then the phone simply states "Install Error.". I
have tried searching the newsgroups and web to no avail, so I will outline
the details of how I've tried this, perhaps someone can tell me what I'm
doing wrong.

You need to add the "MIDlet-Data-Size" field to your JAD *and* you need to
put the fully qualified URL into your MIDlet-Jar-URL: field. Both of these
are required by SprintPCS phones such as your Sanyo in order for the device
to download the MIDlet suite.

Additionally, you have to make these changes and then configure your web
server to expire content within a minute. Otherwise, the SprintPCS WAP
gateway will cache your JAR/JAD and *not* refresh itself for 8-12 hours
(which majorly sucks) unless the content has a short TTL.

There are more questions like this answers on the J2ME FAQ:
<http://mcpierce.mypage.org/j2mefaq.html>

Lindsay Pallickal

Darryl said:
You need to add the "MIDlet-Data-Size" field to your JAD *and* you need to
put the fully qualified URL into your MIDlet-Jar-URL: field. Both of these
are required by SprintPCS phones such as your Sanyo in order for the device
to download the MIDlet suite.

Additionally, you have to make these changes and then configure your web
server to expire content within a minute. Otherwise, the SprintPCS WAP
gateway will cache your JAR/JAD and *not* refresh itself for 8-12 hours
(which majorly sucks) unless the content has a short TTL.

There are more questions like this answers on the J2ME FAQ:
<http://mcpierce.mypage.org/j2mefaq.html>

Thank you, you hit the nail right on the head. My googling didn't bring up the
FAQ - more specifically the query '"Invalid Descriptor" j2me' didn't bring up it
up. I suspect google hasn't re-indexed it yet. How new is this question in the FAQ?

Also, when I searched google with the 906 error code along with "Invalid
Descriptor" I saw posts asking for help, but none resolved. I think it would be
helpful for searchers if the exact 906 error code was mentioned, since without
it the FAQ may be excluded from some queries.

Great work on the FAQ btw, it answered a few other questions I already had in mind.

Lindsay

Darryl L. Pierce,,,

Lindsay said:
Thank you, you hit the nail right on the head. My googling didn't bring up
the FAQ - more specifically the query '"Invalid Descriptor" j2me' didn't
bring up it up. I suspect google hasn't re-indexed it yet. How new is this
question in the FAQ?

This morning. ;)
Also, when I searched google with the 906 error code along with "Invalid
Descriptor" I saw posts asking for help, but none resolved. I think it
would be helpful for searchers if the exact 906 error code was mentioned,
since without it the FAQ may be excluded from some queries.

Great work on the FAQ btw, it answered a few other questions I already had
in mind.

Thank you, I'm glad to hear it's helping you out! If you have any other
nagging questions or issues, be sure to send them to me for inclusion in
the FAQ. The content is currently based on the question asked here, in the
KVM-INTEREST mailing list and on the SDKLIST from Motorola.

Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I'm trying to upload a java app to my phone which does not have its own jad. I uses JadMaker to create one but when I download it to the phone via Wap (my phone is Samsung D600), it says Invalid Jad Descriptor. What's the reason for this error? Here's a link to the jar and the jad.