Invalid filenames on server

KiwiBrian

I have just experienced that files named banner1.jpg and banner2.jpg were
unable to be accessed on my site using IE6, either from within a page, or
addressing them directly with the browser..
Renaming them to bbbanner.jpg and bblogo.jpg solved the problem.
Is this a problem known by everyone except me?
Am I contravening a rule?

Brian Tozer

KiwiBrian

"windandwaves" > wrote
Do you know that most servers are case sensitive. I reckon that may have
been a problem.

Thanks Nicolaas, but no it wasn't that.
Dunno what the reason was.

Brian.

Richard

I have just experienced that files named banner1.jpg and banner2.jpg
were
unable to be accessed on my site using IE6, either from within a page,
or
addressing them directly with the browser..
Renaming them to bbbanner.jpg and bblogo.jpg solved the problem.
Is this a problem known by everyone except me?
Am I contravening a rule?
Brian Tozer

Some setups may not like the numbers on filenames.
see if it will accept bannaera.jpg and bannerb.jpg.

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
I have just experienced that files named banner1.jpg and banner2.jpg were
unable to be accessed on my site using IE6, either from within a page, or
addressing them directly with the browser..
Renaming them to bbbanner.jpg and bblogo.jpg solved the problem.

The only thing that I can think of offhand is a proxy or ad-filter type
software. You would think it would pick up bbbanner.jpg as well, but
it's possible it only looks at the beginning of the filename.

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

Richard said:
Some setups may not like the numbers on filenames.
see if it will accept bannaera.jpg and bannerb.jpg.

I've never heard of a system not accepting numbers in filenames before in my
life. Do you have details or examples? That would be like not accepting
the letter 'a' in filenames. It just doesn't make logical sense to me.

--Tina

Philip Ronan

Tina said:
I've never heard of a system not accepting numbers in filenames before in my
life. Do you have details or examples? That would be like not accepting
the letter 'a' in filenames. It just doesn't make logical sense to me.

I seem to remember hearing about some browsers (or was it firewalls)
blocking files with names like "banner.gif" on the basis that they might be
annoying adverts.

But no, it doesn't make logical sense to me either. :-(

Deryck

KiwiBrian said:
I have just experienced that files named banner1.jpg and banner2.jpg were
unable to be accessed on my site using IE6, either from within a page, or
addressing them directly with the browser..
Renaming them to bbbanner.jpg and bblogo.jpg solved the problem.
Is this a problem known by everyone except me?
Am I contravening a rule?

Brian Tozer
Last year I wrote a bit of javascript for a personal site and put it in
a file called banner.js. No matter what I did I couldnt see the results
of that code. I rang up a friend and it worked fine on his computer.

Then I switched off my Norton firewall and it worked fine. Grrrrr.

I renamed the file and turned Norton back on and it continued to work fine.

That, and other problems, convinced me to switch to alternate firewall
technology.

HTH

Deryck