    Is this a problem known by everyone except me?
    Am I contravening a rule?

    Brian Tozer

    KiwiBrian, Feb 24, 2005

  2. KiwiBrian

    windandwaves Guest

    "KiwiBrian" <> wrote in message

    [....]

    > Am I contravening a rule?

    Do you know that most servers are case sensitive. I reckon that may have been a problem.

    - Nicolaas

    windandwaves, Feb 24, 2005

  3. KiwiBrian

    KiwiBrian Guest

    "windandwaves" > wrote
    > "KiwiBrian" <> wrote in message

    >> Am I contravening a rule?

    > Do you know that most servers are case sensitive. I reckon that may have
    > been a problem.

    Thanks Nicolaas, but no it wasn't that.
    Dunno what the reason was.

    Brian.

    KiwiBrian, Feb 24, 2005
  4. KiwiBrian

    Richard Guest

    On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:11:33 +1300 KiwiBrian wrote:

    > I have just experienced that files named banner1.jpg and banner2.jpg
    > were
    > unable to be accessed on my site using IE6, either from within a page,
    > or
    > addressing them directly with the browser..
    > Renaming them to bbbanner.jpg and bblogo.jpg solved the problem.
    > Is this a problem known by everyone except me?
    > Am I contravening a rule?

    > Brian Tozer

    Some setups may not like the numbers on filenames.
    see if it will accept bannaera.jpg and bannerb.jpg.

    Richard, Feb 24, 2005
  5. KiwiBrian

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, KiwiBrian <> said:

    > I have just experienced that files named banner1.jpg and banner2.jpg were
    > unable to be accessed on my site using IE6, either from within a page, or
    > addressing them directly with the browser..
    > Renaming them to bbbanner.jpg and bblogo.jpg solved the problem.

    The only thing that I can think of offhand is a proxy or ad-filter type
    software. You would think it would pick up bbbanner.jpg as well, but
    it's possible it only looks at the beginning of the filename.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Feb 24, 2005
  6. KiwiBrian

    Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:11:33 +1300 KiwiBrian wrote:
    >
    > > I have just experienced that files named banner1.jpg and

    banner2.jpg
    > > were
    > > unable to be accessed on my site using IE6, either from within a

    page,
    > > or
    > > addressing them directly with the browser..
    > > Renaming them to bbbanner.jpg and bblogo.jpg solved the problem.
    > > Is this a problem known by everyone except me?
    > > Am I contravening a rule?

    > > Brian Tozer

    > Some setups may not like the numbers on filenames.
    > see if it will accept bannaera.jpg and bannerb.jpg.

    Example?

    --
    Hywel

    , Feb 24, 2005
  7. "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:11:33 +1300 KiwiBrian wrote:
    >
    >> I have just experienced that files named banner1.jpg and banner2.jpg
    >> were
    >> unable to be accessed on my site using IE6, either from within a page,
    >> or
    >> addressing them directly with the browser..
    >> Renaming them to bbbanner.jpg and bblogo.jpg solved the problem.
    >> Is this a problem known by everyone except me?
    >> Am I contravening a rule?

    >> Brian Tozer

    > Some setups may not like the numbers on filenames.
    > see if it will accept bannaera.jpg and bannerb.jpg.

    I've never heard of a system not accepting numbers in filenames before in my
    life. Do you have details or examples? That would be like not accepting
    the letter 'a' in filenames. It just doesn't make logical sense to me.

    --Tina
    --
    http://www.AffordableHOST.com - Multi-Domain & Reseller Cpanel Hosting
    ++ 20% Discount Coupon Code ++: newsgroup

    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc., Feb 24, 2005
  8. KiwiBrian

    Philip Ronan Guest

    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc. wrote:

    > I've never heard of a system not accepting numbers in filenames before in my
    > life. Do you have details or examples? That would be like not accepting
    > the letter 'a' in filenames. It just doesn't make logical sense to me.

    I seem to remember hearing about some browsers (or was it firewalls)
    blocking files with names like "banner.gif" on the basis that they might be
    annoying adverts.

    But no, it doesn't make logical sense to me either. :-(

    --
    phil [dot] ronan @ virgin [dot] net
    http://vzone.virgin.net/phil.ronan/

    Philip Ronan, Feb 24, 2005
  9. KiwiBrian

    Deryck Guest

    KiwiBrian wrote:
    > I have just experienced that files named banner1.jpg and banner2.jpg were
    > unable to be accessed on my site using IE6, either from within a page, or
    > addressing them directly with the browser..
    > Renaming them to bbbanner.jpg and bblogo.jpg solved the problem.
    > Is this a problem known by everyone except me?
    > Am I contravening a rule?
    >
    > Brian Tozer

    Last year I wrote a bit of javascript for a personal site and put it in
    a file called banner.js. No matter what I did I couldnt see the results
    of that code. I rang up a friend and it worked fine on his computer.

    Then I switched off my Norton firewall and it worked fine. Grrrrr.

    I renamed the file and turned Norton back on and it continued to work fine.

    That, and other problems, convinced me to switch to alternate firewall
    technology.

    HTH

    Deryck

    Deryck, Feb 24, 2005