Invalid postback or callback argument error

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Nathan Sokalski, Jan 9, 2007.

  1. I have a DataList in which the ItemTemplate contains two Button controls
    that use EventBubbling. When I click either of them I receive the following
    error:

    Server Error in '/' Application.

    Invalid postback or callback argument. Event validation is enabled using
    <pages enableEventValidation="true"/> in configuration or <%@ Page
    EnableEventValidation="true" %> in a page. For security purposes, this
    feature verifies that arguments to postback or callback events originate
    from the server control that originally rendered them. If the data is valid
    and expected, use the ClientScriptManager.RegisterForEventValidation method
    in order to register the postback or callback data for validation.

    Exception Details: System.ArgumentException: Invalid postback or callback
    argument. Event validation is enabled using <pages
    enableEventValidation="true"/> in configuration or <%@ Page
    EnableEventValidation="true" %> in a page. For security purposes, this
    feature verifies that arguments to postback or callback events originate
    from the server control that originally rendered them. If the data is valid
    and expected, use the ClientScriptManager.RegisterForEventValidation method
    in order to register the postback or callback data for validation.

    Source Error:

    Stack Trace:

    [ArgumentException: Invalid postback or callback argument. Event validation
    is enabled using <pages enableEventValidation="true"/> in configuration or
    <%@ Page EnableEventValidation="true" %> in a page. For security purposes,
    this feature verifies that arguments to postback or callback events
    originate from the server control that originally rendered them. If the
    data is valid and expected, use the
    ClientScriptManager.RegisterForEventValidation method in order to register
    the postback or callback data for validation.]
    System.Web.UI.ClientScriptManager.ValidateEvent(String uniqueId, String
    argument) +2082588
    System.Web.UI.Control.ValidateEvent(String uniqueID, String
    eventArgument) +106
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
    +32
    eventArgument) +7
    sourceControl, String eventArgument) +11
    includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5102

    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET
    Version:2.0.50727.210

    I had trouble getting the instructions in the error to work. If anybody can
    help me here, I would greatly apprecciate it. Thanks.
    --
    Nathan Sokalski

    http://www.nathansokalski.com/
    Nathan Sokalski, Jan 9, 2007

  2. Nathan Sokalski wrote:
    > I have a DataList in which the ItemTemplate contains two Button controls
    > that use EventBubbling. When I click either of them I receive the following
    > error:
    >
    > Server Error in '/' Application.
    >
    > Invalid postback or callback argument. Event validation is enabled using
    > <pages enableEventValidation="true"/> in configuration or <%@ Page
    > EnableEventValidation="true" %> in a page. For security purposes, this
    > feature verifies that arguments to postback or callback events originate
    > from the server control that originally rendered them. If the data is valid
    > and expected, use the ClientScriptManager.RegisterForEventValidation method
    > in order to register the postback or callback data for validation.
    >
    > Exception Details: System.ArgumentException: Invalid postback or callback
    > argument. Event validation is enabled using <pages
    > enableEventValidation="true"/> in configuration or <%@ Page
    > EnableEventValidation="true" %> in a page. For security purposes, this
    > feature verifies that arguments to postback or callback events originate
    > from the server control that originally rendered them. If the data is valid
    > and expected, use the ClientScriptManager.RegisterForEventValidation method
    > in order to register the postback or callback data for validation.
    >
    > Source Error:

    > current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the
    >
    > Stack Trace:
    >
    > [ArgumentException: Invalid postback or callback argument. Event validation
    > is enabled using <pages enableEventValidation="true"/> in configuration or
    > <%@ Page EnableEventValidation="true" %> in a page. For security purposes,
    > this feature verifies that arguments to postback or callback events
    > originate from the server control that originally rendered them. If the
    > data is valid and expected, use the
    > ClientScriptManager.RegisterForEventValidation method in order to register
    > the postback or callback data for validation.]
    > System.Web.UI.ClientScriptManager.ValidateEvent(String uniqueId, String
    > argument) +2082588
    > System.Web.UI.Control.ValidateEvent(String uniqueID, String
    > eventArgument) +106
    > System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
    > +32
    > System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String
    > eventArgument) +7
    > System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler
    > sourceControl, String eventArgument) +11
    > System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +33
    > includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5102

    > Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET
    > Version:2.0.50727.210
    >
    > I had trouble getting the instructions in the error to work. If anybody can
    > help me here, I would greatly apprecciate it. Thanks.

    If this is what I think it may be, then make sure you're not calling the
    same sub that pulls from your data source twice.

    For instance, if you created a sub procedure that populates your
    datalist and you are calling it when the user clicks a button within
    your itemtemplate, after the data processing has been done (or whatever
    processing you're doing with that button), make sure that it isn't also
    being called in your Page_load sub. When your page FIRST loads and you
    populate the datalist control, make sure that you have it within a If
    Not Page.IsPostBack and not where it gets called on every load.

    That's how I ran into the same error.
    Jim in Arizona, Jan 9, 2007

  3. Nathan,

    There is no problem with crossposting. But you are crossposting it so much,
    that I expect that you get your answer in another newsgroup than I am active
    in for this question.

    Cor

    Cor Ligthert [MVP], Jan 10, 2007