Invalid Postpack and ConfigSource file is also used in a parent....

Mr.Magic

I have a webserver running multiple sites that up until two weeks ago was
working fine. Now when people are using the web sites, I'm getting errors in
the event log that say either:

The configSource file 'xxx' is also used in a parent, this is not allow
(web.config line 90)

or

Invalid postback or callback argument.

The problem is, the invalid postback is happening in different website on
different pages. And not all the time. It's happening about 15 times an hour
but only during business hours when the system is being used the most.

Any body have any thoughts on what this could be?

TIA - Jeff.

Gregory A. Beamer

I have a webserver running multiple sites that up until two weeks ago
was working fine. Now when people are using the web sites, I'm getting
errors in the event log that say either:

The configSource file 'xxx' is also used in a parent, this is not
allow (web.config line 90)

or

Invalid postback or callback argument.

What is line 90 of the web.config. That will give you the best place to
look.

In general, there are a couple of things that can cause the problems you
are describing.

1. You have subwebs that are serving sites.
2. The sites have a corrupt ASP.NET temporary folder.

Without more information on your server set up, I doubt you will get
much more help than this generic information.

one thing I would do is figure out which Microsoft patch munged up your
server, as it was most likely a Microsoft patch that did it (things
don't "just happen", so the root cause, if you have not changed
anything, is a server update).

once you know the cause, you can search for support, as there is likely
a "if you build your web apps like X, this patch might".

Peace and Grace,