Invalid session when a new IE window is opened using window.open()

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by raj, Apr 7, 2004.

  1. raj

    raj Guest

    Hello,
    I am running into this strange session invalid issue when I open a new
    browser window using javascript's window.open(). I have a portlet
    running on Jetspeed portal. I have two different links on this portal
    which point to two different applications running on two "different"
    ports on an application server. On click of each link I invoke
    window.open() with the URL for that link and it invokes a child
    browser with that URL. Now, when I click both the links from the
    parent window, I am able to open 2 different browser windows but when
    I try to access the applications in these windows, it throws me a
    SessionTimeOut exception invalidating the session.

    My idea was to make it available to the user so that the user can (if
    wanted) open two links in two differnt browsers and work
    simultaneously. I was told that when window.open() is used, it just
    opens a IE window but not a IE process and thus carries the same
    session. I want it to be new session whenever the user clicks those
    links as they are different applications and should be dealt
    differently. Is there a work around for this?

    Are there any settings in IE that I can force to create a new IE
    process when the link is clicked or is there any thing that I can do
    in Javascript to make this work. I spend almost a whole day
    researching on this but in vain. Please let me know if you guys have
    any ideas.

    TIA,
    Gnan
    raj, Apr 7, 2004

  2. What IE version are you using?

    --
    Manohar Kamath
    Editor, .netWire

    Manohar Kamath [MVP], Apr 7, 2004

  3. raj

    Gnan Shabada Guest

    Hi,
    I am using IE 5.50.4134 with SP1 fix pack and q279177 patch.

    Gnan Shabada, Apr 7, 2004
  4. I don't know much about IE 5.5, but there must be an option that says "New
    session for new window" in the browser options. This was taken out in IE 6,
    and now IE defaults to keeping sessions as the parent page.

    --
    Manohar Kamath
    Editor, .netWire

    Manohar Kamath [MVP], Apr 8, 2004
  5. raj

    J. Baute Guest

    What happens if you create a new window by pressing CTRL-N, or right
    clickign a link and selecting "open in new window"?

    Btw, is your homepage in IE set to a local page (file:// protocol, not a
    http:// site). This is known to cause session loss when popups are
    generated as well.

    J. Baute, Apr 8, 2004
  6. raj

    Gnan Shabada Guest

    I checked all the options for the browser. No where that says to create
    a new session when a new window is opened. I guess they had it prior to
    IE5 but no more.

    No, my browser's homepage starts with http:// and it behaves the same
    way even if i right-click and say Open in New window for use Ctrl+N for
    new window. In either cases, it doesn't spawn a new IE process. Is there
    any option in Javascript that can be turned on/off to force it to create
    unique sessions for each opened window??

    Gnan Shabada, Apr 8, 2004
  8. raj

    raj Guest

    I checked all the options for the browser. No where that says to
    create a new session when a new window is opened. I guess they had it
    prior to IE5 but no more.

    No, my browser's homepage starts with http:// and it behaves the same
    way even if i right-click and say Open in New window for use Ctrl+N
    for new window. In either cases, it doesn't spawn a new IE process. Is
    there any option in Javascript that can be turned on/off to force it
    to create unique sessions for each opened window??

    Thanks

    raj, Apr 8, 2004
  9. raj

    J. Baute Guest

    > No, my browser's homepage starts with http:// and it behaves the same
    > way even if i right-click and say Open in New window for use Ctrl+N for
    > new window. In either cases, it doesn't spawn a new IE process. Is there
    > any option in Javascript that can be turned on/off to force it to create
    > unique sessions for each opened window??

    No, there is't a way to control sessions from clientside JavaScript.
    It's odd you don't get the same problems with Ctrl+N, cause basically that's
    just what window.open() does as well.
    Have you tried using a different browser like Mozilla or Opera? If it's a
    browser issue it should work in at least one of those, otherwise it's
    probably something serverside.
    J. Baute, Apr 9, 2004