Invalid ViewState and Machine Keys

Brian Lankford

Ever since we moved our asp.net website to two load
balanced servers we have been getting every once in a
while invalid or corrupted viewstate errors. I've looked
around on the internet and the only thing I could find was
an article that told us to look at our machine.config file
on both servers to see if the machinekeys matched. We did
and found out that they are set to "autogenerate":

<machineKey validationKey="AutoGenerate"
decryptionKey="AutoGenerate" validation="SHA1"/>

So, my question is how do we find out what we need to set
the validationKey and decryptionKey to for both
machine.config files? Do we create this or is it located
on the server somewhere?

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

I missed part of the question. The .NET help or quickstarts (I forget which
off hand) has an app for creating a hashed key value for your machine key.