invert or reverse a string... warning this is a rant

Steven D'Aprano

[You said from an earlier post...]
(That's a complaint I have about the dis module -- it prints its results,
instead of returning them as a string. That makes it hard to capture the
output for further analysis.)

I have a rewritten version of dis just sitting on my hard disk that fixes
exactly that issue. It needs to be updated to take into account some newer 2.5
features and the tests will need to be updated so they retrieve dis's output
instead of redirecting stdout. If you'd like to finish it up and submit it as a
patch, I can forward it to you. It would be good to have a second set of eyes
look at it also.

I'm certainly willing to look at it; as far as submitting it as a patch, I
have no idea what the procedure is. Maybe we can find out together heh? :)

Ron Adam

Steven said:
[You said from an earlier post...]
(That's a complaint I have about the dis module -- it prints its results,
instead of returning them as a string. That makes it hard to capture the
output for further analysis.)
I have a rewritten version of dis just sitting on my hard disk that fixes
exactly that issue. It needs to be updated to take into account some newer 2.5
features and the tests will need to be updated so they retrieve dis's output
instead of redirecting stdout. If you'd like to finish it up and submit it as a
patch, I can forward it to you. It would be good to have a second set of eyes
look at it also.

I'm certainly willing to look at it; as far as submitting it as a patch, I
have no idea what the procedure is. Maybe we can find out together heh? :)

Sounds good to me. I email an attachment to you. :)

DaveM

It has been my experience that Python has discouraging forums with
someone always calling someone else an idiot or telling them they are
awful in some way. I love Python, but the community is way too negative,
uptight and generally down on users who do not have PhD's in CS or Math.
Do you have children? How would your child feel if he brought you
something he had made and you then told him it was awful in *sooo* many
ways. How does that reflect on you and the community you represent?

Wow. Maybe I have thicker skin than you, or perhaps you're a professional
whose self-worth has been damaged, but I would have been grateful for that
critique, not angry. To each his own, I suppose.

DaveM