invisible javascript

Mr. x

Hello,
Can I make my java script code be invisible to other people who enter into
my site by IE browser ? - How ?

Thanks :)

Michael Winter

on 13/11/2003:
Hello,
Can I make my java script code be invisible to other people who enter into
my site by IE browser ? - How ?

No-one can see your code, only its affects, just by entering your
web-site, so it's already invisible. You obviously mean something
else. Could you explain further?

Mike

Douglas Crockford

Can I make my java script code be invisible to other people who enter into
my site by IE browser ? - How ?

No, you can't. Anyone who tells you different is either misinformed or lying.

Evertjan.

Douglas Crockford wrote on 14 nov 2003 in comp.lang.javascript:
No, you can't. Anyone who tells you different is either misinformed or
lying.

Yes, you can.

Use Serverside ASP javascript.

Sorry, that is not what you ment, I suppose. ;-}

Mr. x

I see that if I do :
<script language = "javascript>
... here is my code
</script>

If I open the html source - I see the java-script code.
I want also to use the java-script on the client side,
but I don't know how.
Please, help.

Thanks :)

Markus Ernst

Mr. x said:
Hello,
Can I make my java script code be invisible to other people who enter into
my site by IE browser ? - How ?

Thanks :)

You ask the community to help you for free in this forum - and your scripts
are what you can give back to the community ;-)

I had a look at your site and played some of your games. If you coded that
all by yourself it's impressing. But some of these games are also available
for free download in script archives. So even if you re-invented them on
your own, if somebody wants to get them he/she will anyway.

As you have to deliver the code to the user agent for playing, there's no
way to hide it. You can disable the right click button but you can't disable
the view source command, and even if you could you would not be able to
prevent somebody from opening the file in a text editor.

Just go on writing nice stuff and have fun with it.

kaeli

Hello,
Can I make my java script code be invisible to other people who enter into
my site by IE browser ? - How ?

Thanks :)

You can use an obfuscator, but anyone who actually knows script enough
to know what that is will go find a deobfuscator.
It discourages idiots from copying, though.

Other than that, if the browser can see it, so can I.

Mr. x

Scripts are indeed not mine (only on the games ...),
I did some minor changes to translate them to Hebrew.
The other forums are all made by myself.

If I cannot hide my own java scripts, so I cannot - I'll live with that...

Thanks anyway :)

Charlene Russ

I am confused... all anyone has to do is view source in a web browser
and wah-lah there's the JS code.

-Charlene

Evertjan.

Charlene Russ wrote on 17 nov 2003 in comp.lang.javascript:
I am confused... all anyone has to do is view source in a web browser
and wah-lah there's the JS code.

Don't be, all you have to do is put 35 returns on the top of your html page
and 50% of the view-sorcerers will think that they have an empty page.

Additional measures increase this percentage, but you cannot fool the very
experienced readers of this NG anytime.

Douglas Crockford

Don't be, all you have to do is put 35 returns on the top of your html page
and 50% of the view-sorcerers will think that they have an empty page.

Additional measures increase this percentage, but you cannot fool the very
experienced readers of this NG anytime.

That's just silly.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Evertjan. said:
Douglas Crockford wrote on 17 nov 2003 in comp.lang.javascript:

So you can be fooled? Sorry, I did not expect that.

What Douglas probably meant is that it is silly to assume that the average
user is unable to note the scrollbars he is used to especially in the
`view-source:' window. All you do by those CR/LF is to increase document
size, thus increase loading time, and display yourselves to nothing else
than a scriptkiddie to the average user or programmer.

PointedEars

Evertjan.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote on 18 nov 2003 in comp.lang.javascript:
All you do by those CR/LF is to increase document
size, thus increase loading time

Yes, sure,
by 70 bytes,
so by 10 milliseconds at 7kB/s,
or 100 microseconds at 700kB/s.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Evertjan. said:
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote on 18 nov 2003 in comp.lang.javascript:

Yes, sure,
by 70 bytes,

Depends on how many CR/LF you include.
so by 10 milliseconds at 7kB/s,
or 100 microseconds at 700kB/s.

You should read my postings to the end
and learn how to quote (mark omissions).

PointedEars

Evertjan.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote on 20 nov 2003 in comp.lang.javascript:
Depends on how many CR/LF you include.

You should read my postings to the end
and learn how to quote (mark omissions).

Did I step on your ears, Thomas ?

Fabian

Google hu kiteb:
To "obfuscate" your JS code, try this little utility:

http://utenti.lycos.it/ascii2hex/

It may help to confuse novices...

Anyone so green that this would deter them is also too green to adjust
an unobfuscated script to meet their specific needs.

For me, I'd just c+p into sc unipad, then it is a single right mouse
click away from converting into more human-readable text.