Invision Power Board 1.3 - Changing font size in Post, Reply & Edit boxes

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Paul D. Sullivan, Jul 20, 2005.

  1. I've been trying to find out how to increase the font size in the
    text entry fields in Invision Power Board 1.3 for a while. The
    part where you enter your post and do the quick reply and all
    that has a really small font by comparision to the display font
    in the forum, and I wanted to at least have the same size if
    possible.

    After some hours of working the issue, I tested about every
    relevant entry in the Style Sheet. I found one line that didn't
    seem to work at all, no matter what I did. It looked like this:

    ..forminput, .textinput, .radiobutton, .checkbox { font-size:
    11px; font-family: verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;
    vertical-align: middle }

    I have this philosophy that when I want to work on something, I
    break it down into its constituent parts, so I tried that here
    and created 4 individual Styles:

    ..forminput { font-size: 11px; font-family: verdana, helvetica,
    sans-serif; vertical-align: middle }
    ..textinput { font-size: 11px; font-family: verdana, helvetica,
    sans-serif; vertical-align: middle }
    ..radiobutton { font-size: 11px; font-family: verdana, helvetica,
    sans-serif; vertical-align: middle }
    ..checkbox { font-size: 11px; font-family: verdana, helvetica,
    sans-serif; vertical-align: middle }

    Once I did that, I was able to make a change to the font size for
    each of those 4 entries and THIS time, it actually worked.

    The main one to worry about is TEXTINPUT. That is the main body
    of where you enter the text. I went ahead and set that to 12px.
    I also set FORMINPUT to 12px. That is for the edit boxes for
    title and description, etc. So, the final deal was to replace
    the single line with 4 individual lines and the final changes
    looked like this:

    ..forminput { font-size: 12px; font-family: verdana, helvetica,
    sans-serif; vertical-align: middle }
    ..textinput { font-size: 12px; font-family: verdana, helvetica,
    sans-serif; vertical-align: middle }
    ..radiobutton { font-size: 11px; font-family: verdana, helvetica,
    sans-serif; vertical-align: middle }
    ..checkbox { font-size: 11px; font-family: verdana, helvetica,
    sans-serif; vertical-align: middle }

    You can make 'em as big as ya want, but for me, 12px is just
    fine.

    So, it would seem that the problem is solved, at least for me.

    Of note - there are two other key lines that may be helpful to
    ya'all. In the style sheet they show up like this:

    ..postcolor { font-size: 12px; line-height: 140% }
    ..signature { font-size: 10px; color: darkblue; line-height:
    130% }

    Postcolor is the default font size to display the forums. When I
    looked at it, the line-height was 160%, I think. So, I set it to
    140%, and it seems well spaced now.

    Signature is the default signature style, and I changed its
    line-height to 130% and the default color to blue to
    differentiate it from the main post.

    One thing you can do if you wish for the TEXTINPUT style is give
    it the same LINE-HEIGHT as the POSTCOLOR area to ensure
    consistency in appearance. I was able to do that by making the
    following modification:

    ..textinput { font-size: 12px; font-family: verdana, helvetica,
    sans-serif; vertical-align: middle; line-height: 140% }

    I hope all this helps someone in their quest for formatting
    control in IPB 1.3.

    Good luck.
    Paul D. Sullivan, Jul 20, 2005