Invision Power Board 1.3 - Changing font size in Post, Reply & Edit boxes

Paul D. Sullivan

I've been trying to find out how to increase the font size in the
text entry fields in Invision Power Board 1.3 for a while. The
part where you enter your post and do the quick reply and all
that has a really small font by comparision to the display font
in the forum, and I wanted to at least have the same size if
possible.

After some hours of working the issue, I tested about every
relevant entry in the Style Sheet. I found one line that didn't
seem to work at all, no matter what I did. It looked like this:

..forminput, .textinput, .radiobutton, .checkbox { font-size:
11px; font-family: verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;
vertical-align: middle }

I have this philosophy that when I want to work on something, I
break it down into its constituent parts, so I tried that here
and created 4 individual Styles:

..forminput { font-size: 11px; font-family: verdana, helvetica,
sans-serif; vertical-align: middle }
..textinput { font-size: 11px; font-family: verdana, helvetica,
sans-serif; vertical-align: middle }
..radiobutton { font-size: 11px; font-family: verdana, helvetica,
sans-serif; vertical-align: middle }
..checkbox { font-size: 11px; font-family: verdana, helvetica,
sans-serif; vertical-align: middle }

Once I did that, I was able to make a change to the font size for
each of those 4 entries and THIS time, it actually worked.

The main one to worry about is TEXTINPUT. That is the main body
of where you enter the text. I went ahead and set that to 12px.
I also set FORMINPUT to 12px. That is for the edit boxes for
title and description, etc. So, the final deal was to replace
the single line with 4 individual lines and the final changes
looked like this:

..forminput { font-size: 12px; font-family: verdana, helvetica,
sans-serif; vertical-align: middle }
..textinput { font-size: 12px; font-family: verdana, helvetica,
sans-serif; vertical-align: middle }
..radiobutton { font-size: 11px; font-family: verdana, helvetica,
sans-serif; vertical-align: middle }
..checkbox { font-size: 11px; font-family: verdana, helvetica,
sans-serif; vertical-align: middle }

You can make 'em as big as ya want, but for me, 12px is just
fine.

So, it would seem that the problem is solved, at least for me.

Of note - there are two other key lines that may be helpful to
ya'all. In the style sheet they show up like this:

..postcolor { font-size: 12px; line-height: 140% }
..signature { font-size: 10px; color: darkblue; line-height:
130% }

Postcolor is the default font size to display the forums. When I
looked at it, the line-height was 160%, I think. So, I set it to
140%, and it seems well spaced now.

Signature is the default signature style, and I changed its
line-height to 130% and the default color to blue to
differentiate it from the main post.

One thing you can do if you wish for the TEXTINPUT style is give
it the same LINE-HEIGHT as the POSTCOLOR area to ensure
consistency in appearance. I was able to do that by making the
following modification:

..textinput { font-size: 12px; font-family: verdana, helvetica,
sans-serif; vertical-align: middle; line-height: 140% }

I hope all this helps someone in their quest for formatting
control in IPB 1.3.

Good luck.