    appreciated.

    Thanks
    , Jan 23, 2006

  2. Paul Tomblin Guest

    In a previous article, said:
    >Hello group.
    >
    >I'm an undergraduate studying for my bachelor degree in CMB
    >University. http://www.viduranet.com/inforum/ is the only available
    >forum for BIT students. A fundamental of programming is one subject we
    >have to face. And all of us are absolute beginners.
    >
    >We really appreciate if you can actively help us by answering our JAVA
    >problems as there is a forum for JAVA.

    Funny thing about universities - there is a person there who is PAID to
    answer your questions. Not only that, but he or she is probably really
    familiar with the course.

    Even more importantly, that person will help you make sure you're actually
    getting some value out of your time there by NOT doing your homework for
    you, but just giving you enough help for you to figure it out by yourself.
    Because there is a great danger with asking strangers for help is that
    we'll end up doing all the work, and you'll come out of university with a
    degree that isn't worth the paper it's printed on, as you and the local
    businesses will discover after you've been fired a few times for not
    knowing what your degree says you know. I know, I've fired several people
    like that, and thrown several dozen resumes in the garbage after seeing a
    pattern of frequent job changes.

    --
    Paul Tomblin <> http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
    Graffiti has merely machine-gunned the surviving handwriting ability
    Paul Tomblin, Jan 23, 2006

  3. Paul Tomblin wrote:
    > and thrown several dozen resumes in the garbage after seeing a
    > pattern of frequent job changes.

    I don't know exactly how frequent and how many job changes define your
    pattern, but it would be maybe fair to consider the possibility that
    such a pattern can also be caused by incompetent companies, and not only
    by incompetent candidates.
    Andrea Desole, Jan 23, 2006
  4. Sameer Guest

    Why you are asking for help?
    There is a lot of help/documentation available for Java technology
    which is totally FREE!
    For a newbie the 'Java Tutorial' from Java Series which is free
    available to download is a great place to start.
    Try the tutorials from
    ibm.com/java
    by creating an IBM account, which are also free ones and little ones
    for newbies.

    Little googling will help you a lot!

    Happy coding.
    -Sameer
    Sameer, Jan 23, 2006
  5. zero Guest

    Andrea Desole <> wrote in news:dcda9
    $43d519a6$d468cb3c$:

    > Paul Tomblin wrote:
    >> and thrown several dozen resumes in the garbage after seeing a
    >> pattern of frequent job changes.
    >>

    > I don't know exactly how frequent and how many job changes define your
    > pattern, but it would be maybe fair to consider the possibility that
    > such a pattern can also be caused by incompetent companies, and not only
    > by incompetent candidates.

    Very true. IMO a resume is only an indication, and the only way to get a
    real feel of your applicant's knowledge is a test.
    zero, Jan 23, 2006
  6. Oliver Wong Guest

    "zero" <> wrote in message
    > Andrea Desole <> wrote in news:dcda9
    > $43d519a6$d468cb3c$:
    >
    >> Paul Tomblin wrote:
    >>> and thrown several dozen resumes in the garbage after seeing a
    >>> pattern of frequent job changes.
    >>>

    >> I don't know exactly how frequent and how many job changes define your
    >> pattern, but it would be maybe fair to consider the possibility that
    >> such a pattern can also be caused by incompetent companies, and not only
    >> by incompetent candidates.

    > Very true. IMO a resume is only an indication, and the only way to get a
    > real feel of your applicant's knowledge is a test.

    On the other hand, I believe most IT companies receive more resumes than
    they'd care for when they advertise for a position, and it costs time and
    money to actually interview and test candidates, so the more candidates they
    can eliminate (by expecting near flawless resumes), the cheaper it is for
    them to run through their recruitment process.

    Yes, there's a risk of inadvertently turning away an excellent
    candidate, but business is about balancing risks and costs, and hiring new
    people, when done properly, is an expensive task.

    - Oliver
    Oliver Wong, Jan 23, 2006
  7. Roedy Green Guest

    On 23 Jan 2006 09:27:44 -0800, wrote, quoted or
    indirectly quoted someone who said :

    >I'm an undergraduate studying for my bachelor degree in CMB
    >University. http://www.viduranet.com/inforum/ is the only available
    >forum for BIT students. A fundamental of programming is one subject we
    >have to face. And all of us are absolute beginners.

    If you want help from this group, someone will have to post questions
    on its behalf here, and relay the responses back.

    I don't like answering questions in email. The answer then is useful
    to only one person. Ditto for answering in a limited forum. It is
    poor leveraging of effort.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Jan 23, 2006
  8. Paul Tomblin Guest

    In a previous article, Andrea Desole <> said:
    >Paul Tomblin wrote:
    >> and thrown several dozen resumes in the garbage after seeing a
    >> pattern of frequent job changes.
    >>

    >I don't know exactly how frequent and how many job changes define your
    >pattern, but it would be maybe fair to consider the possibility that
    >such a pattern can also be caused by incompetent companies, and not only
    >by incompetent candidates.

    Yes, my resume has a couple of short (less than one year) stints. But it
    also has one of 6 years and a couple of 4 years.

    I was given a bunch of resumes by HR for my last opening, and a couple of
    them had ONLY short stints. The ones who'd had only a couple of 3 month
    jobs since college got thrown away. Some of the others got a technical
    interview. Some of the technical interviews are the reason why I suspect
    that many recent graduates bought themselves degrees without actually
    learning anything.

    --
    Paul Tomblin <> http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
    You're nicer than I. I was thinking "Mark, would you recognize a clue
    Paul Tomblin, Jan 23, 2006
  9. Andrea Desole sez:
    > Paul Tomblin wrote:
    >> and thrown several dozen resumes in the garbage after seeing a
    >> pattern of frequent job changes.
    >>

    > I don't know exactly how frequent and how many job changes define your
    > pattern, but it would be maybe fair to consider the possibility that
    > such a pattern can also be caused by incompetent companies, and not only
    > by incompetent candidates.

    On the gripping hand, if the candidate keeps accepting jobs at
    incompetent companies, time after time after time...

    Dima
    --
    Well, lusers are technically human. -- Red Drag Diva
    Dimitri Maziuk, Jan 24, 2006
  10. Paul Tomblin wrote:

    > Yes, my resume has a couple of short (less than one year) stints. But it
    > also has one of 6 years and a couple of 4 years.
    >
    > I was given a bunch of resumes by HR for my last opening, and a couple of
    > them had ONLY short stints. The ones who'd had only a couple of 3 month
    > jobs since college got thrown away. Some of the others got a technical
    > interview. Some of the technical interviews are the reason why I suspect
    > that many recent graduates bought themselves degrees without actually
    > learning anything.

    these values look to me quite fair. But there are also people who
    consider something like 5 years an "ideal" time, and don't appreciate it
    if someone has worked for a company shorter or longer. Not that the CV
    is thrown away; it's just considered as something negative.
    Concerning the quality of the people interviewed, I'm not sure the
    duration of their jobs makes a difference. But I might be wrong
    Andrea Desole, Jan 24, 2006
  11. Dimitri Maziuk wrote:

    > On the gripping hand, if the candidate keeps accepting jobs at
    > incompetent companies, time after time after time...

    True, people should get smarter with experience.
    Still, it's not always possible or easy to find out how a company is
    from a couple of interviews. In any case, that might make the candidate
    naive, but not necessarily a bad developer
    Andrea Desole, Jan 24, 2006
  12. Andrea Desole sez:
    > Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
    >>
    >> On the gripping hand, if the candidate keeps accepting jobs at
    >> incompetent companies, time after time after time...

    > True, people should get smarter with experience.
    > Still, it's not always possible or easy to find out how a company is
    > from a couple of interviews. In any case, that might make the candidate
    > naive, but not necessarily a bad developer

    No, just not someone who'd score top points in the selection process.

    Dima
    --
    We're sysadmins. Sanity happens to other people. -- Chris King
    Dimitri Maziuk, Jan 25, 2006