Invoke posting message to newsgroup from html file

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Alex Vinokur, Jan 6, 2005.

  1. Alex Vinokur

    Alex Vinokur Guest

    Alex Vinokur, Jan 6, 2005

  2. Alex Vinokur

    rf Guest

    "Alex Vinokur" <> wrote

    > To invoke posting email one can write
    >
    > Is it possible to write something like to invoke posting message to

    newsgroup?

    <checks the microsoft documentation/>

    Oddly enough yes.

    href=news:alt.html

    but it it will of course be subject to even more limitations than the mailto
    protocol, that is it will not work in a large number of cases.

    The documentation also states that in only "opens" the clients default news
    applicaion. It says nothing about sending anything.

    It is also a microsoft only invention, not the subject AFAIK of any RFC.
    Probably won't work in any other browser although I have not checked, mainly
    through lack of interest :)

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jan 6, 2005

  3. Alex Vinokur

    Dylan Parry Guest

    rf wrote:

    > Probably won't work in any other browser although I have not checked, mainly
    > through lack of interest :)

    It also appears to work in *my* FF/Thunderbird combination, but as you
    say it isn't guaranteed to work anywhere.

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Dylan Parry, Jan 6, 2005
  4. Alex Vinokur

    Steve Pugh Guest

    rf wrote:

    [href=news: URLs]
    >It is also a microsoft only invention, not the subject AFAIK of any

    RFC.
    >Probably won't work in any other browser although I have not checked,

    mainly
    >through lack of interest :)

    I remember writing some news: URLs back in the days before MS
    discovered the web.

    news: URLs are mentioned in RFC 1630, right between mailto and telnet.
    Steve

    Steve Pugh, Jan 6, 2005
  5. Alex Vinokur

    rf Guest

    "Dylan Parry" <> wrote in
    > rf wrote:
    >
    > > Probably won't work in any other browser although I have not checked,

    mainly
    > > through lack of interest :)

    > It also appears to work in *my* FF/Thunderbird combination, but as you
    > say it isn't guaranteed to work anywhere.

    <checks/>

    <aol>me too</aol>, although I never actually configured FF for this. It
    probably stole the setting from my IE configuration when I installed it.

    I can't seem to find anywhere in the FF confituration where one can set
    these things although, once again, my interest is rapidly fading :)

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jan 6, 2005
  6. Alex Vinokur

    Alex Vinokur Guest

    "rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote in message news:hBaDd.106931$...
    > "Alex Vinokur" <> wrote
    >
    > > To invoke posting email one can write
    > >
    > > Is it possible to write something like to invoke posting message to

    > newsgroup?

    > <checks the microsoft documentation/>
    >
    > Oddly enough yes.
    >
    > href=news:alt.html

    href="mailto: causes opening "email message window"

    href=news:alt.html doesn't cause opening "news message window"; it causes (on Outlook Express) going to alt.html under default NNTP
    servrer.
    I wouls like to get "news message window" like "email message window".

    --
    Alex Vinokur
    http://sourceforge.net/users/alexvn

    Alex Vinokur, Jan 6, 2005
  7. On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 14:40:27 +0200, Alex Vinokur <> wrote:

    > To invoke posting email one can write
    >
    > Is it possible to write something like to invoke posting message to newsgroup?

    Instead of starting up someones news client, you could of course try to pipe
    someone through google-groups with
    <http://posting.google.com/post?cmd=post&enc=ISO-8859-1&group=alt.html>.
    Requires a Google account though, instead of a news client. Thus doesn't make it
    much more reliable.

    BTW: why would you want to do it? What is the use? Can you give an example of
    what you intend to use it for?
    Alternatively: Is referring to a thread or post not good enough? For example
    with <http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=> to
    refer to this thread? If someone wants to respond to a thread or post thus made
    available to them, they can. Just bluntly letting someone, anyone, post to a
    newsgroup without telling them exactly what usenet is and what a post to a
    newsgroup is, can be not very nice on the person and to the ng involved.

    --
    ,-- --<--@ ---- PretLetters: 'woest wyf', met vele interesses: -----------.
    | weblog | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/_private/weblog.html> |

    Barbara de Zoete, Jan 6, 2005
  8. Alex Vinokur

    rf Guest

    "Alex Vinokur" <> wrote

    > href="mailto: causes opening "email message window"
    >
    > href=news:alt.html doesn't cause opening "news message window"; it causes

    (on Outlook Express) going to alt.html under default NNTP
    > servrer.
    > I wouls like to get "news message window" like "email message window".

    You missed this bit of my post:

    > > The documentation also states that in only "opens" the clients default

    news
    > > applicaion. It says nothing about sending anything.

    Opening a new news message window is simply not supported. It is not going
    to happen.

    You also missed this bit:

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jan 6, 2005
  9. Alex Vinokur

    Alex Vinokur Guest

    "Barbara de Zoete" <> wrote in message news:eek:psj6nirzqx5vgts@zoete_b...
    > On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 14:40:27 +0200, Alex Vinokur <> wrote:
    >

    > > To invoke posting email one can write
    > >
    > > Is it possible to write something like to invoke posting message to newsgroup?
    > >

    > Instead of starting up someones news client, you could of course try to pipe
    > someone through google-groups with
    > <http://posting.google.com/post?cmd=post&enc=ISO-8859-1&group=alt.html>.
    > Requires a Google account though, instead of a news client. Thus doesn't make it
    > much more reliable.
    >
    > BTW: why would you want to do it? What is the use? Can you give an example of
    > what you intend to use it for?

    Here is a box I have designed.

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/test-av1/msg/2e59908c57532711
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/test-av1/attach/2e59908c57532711/gm_pfbox.htm?part=2

    "Post a message" from the right opens an Outlook Express email message window.

    "Post a message" from the left redirects to web news message site.
    I would like "Post a message" from the left to open an _Outlook Express_ news message window.

    > Alternatively: Is referring to a thread or post not good enough? For example
    > with <http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=> to
    > refer to this thread? If someone wants to respond to a thread or post thus made
    > available to them, they can. Just bluntly letting someone, anyone, post to a
    > newsgroup without telling them exactly what usenet is and what a post to a
    > newsgroup is, can be not very nice on the person and to the ng involved.

    [snip]

    Alex Vinokur, Jan 6, 2005
  10. On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 15:54:07 +0200, Alex Vinokur <> wrote:

    > "Barbara de Zoete" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 14:40:27 +0200, Alex Vinokur <> wrote:
    >>

    >> > To invoke posting email one can write
    >> >
    >> > Is it possible to write something like to invoke posting message to

    >> newsgroup?
    >> >

    >> Instead of starting up someones news client, you could of course try to pipe
    >> someone through google-groups with
    >> <http://posting.google.com/post?cmd=post&enc=ISO-8859-1&group=alt.html>.
    >> Requires a Google account though, instead of a news client. Thus doesn't make
    >> it
    >> much more reliable.
    >>
    >> BTW: why would you want to do it? What is the use? Can you give an example of
    >> what you intend to use it for?

    > Here is a box I have designed.
    >
    > http://groups-beta.google.com/group/test-av1/msg/2e59908c57532711
    > http://groups-beta.google.com/group/test-av1/attach/2e59908c57532711/gm_pfbox.htm?part=2
    >
    > "Post a message" from the right opens an Outlook Express email message window.
    >
    > "Post a message" from the left redirects to web news message site.
    > I would like "Post a message" from the left to open an _Outlook Express_ news
    > message window.

    You can want all you want. This is not going to happen. Especially since so many
    of us do not use OE at all. Also in many an occasion a news client (what ever
    news client) is not going to be available (schools, libraries, office). Good
    luck with what you want. Maybe it is time to switch to what can be done in stead.

    Barbara de Zoete, Jan 6, 2005
  11. Alex Vinokur

    Richard Guest

    On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 15:54:07 +0200 Alex Vinokur wrote:

    > "Barbara de Zoete" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 14:40:27 +0200, Alex Vinokur <>
    >> wrote:

    >> > To invoke posting email one can write
    >> >
    >> > Is it possible to write something like to invoke posting message to

    >> newsgroup?
    >> >

    >> Instead of starting up someones news client, you could of course try
    >> to pipe
    >> someone through google-groups with
    >> <http://posting.google.com/post?cmd=post&enc=ISO-8859-1&group=alt.html>
    >> .
    >> Requires a Google account though, instead of a news client. Thus
    >> doesn't make it
    >> much more reliable.

    >> BTW: why would you want to do it? What is the use? Can you give an
    >> example of
    >> what you intend to use it for?

    > Here is a box I have designed.

    > http://groups-beta.google.com/group/test-av1/msg/2e59908c57532711
    > http://groups-beta.google.com/group/test-av1/attach/2e59908c57532711/gm_
    > pfbox.htm?part=2

    > "Post a message" from the right opens an Outlook Express email message
    > window.

    > "Post a message" from the left redirects to web news message site.
    > I would like "Post a message" from the left to open an _Outlook
    > Express_ news message window.

    The visitor would have to have a news service that carried the group.

    href=news:alt.html
    This method only opens the group.
    If the visitor is subscribed to it or the service he has, has it.
    It will not open a new message window.
    To do that, you may need a php or javascript thing.

    Richard, Jan 6, 2005
  12. Alex Vinokur

    rf Guest

    "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote

    > href=news:alt.html
    > It will not open a new message window.
    > To do that, you may need a php or javascript thing.

    Please provide an example where javascript can achieve what the OP wants.

    More importantly please provide an example where PHP can achieve what the OP
    wants, or at the least cite a source (other than your own) that hints that
    it even *possible* with PHP.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jan 6, 2005
  13. Alex Vinokur

    Toby Inkster Guest

    rf wrote:

    > href=news:alt.html
    > It is also a microsoft only invention, not the subject AFAIK of any RFC.

    "news:" URLs are not an MS invention. You can use:

    -OR-

    There are also "nntp:" URLs, like this:

    nntp://news.server:119/news.group.name/12345

    Where ":119" is the port (optional) and 12345 is the article reference
    number within that group. (This reference number is server-specific, so
    not globally useful. You can probably see it by consulting the "Xref"
    header in your newsreader.)

    "news:" URLs are generally more useful. Opera, strangely implements them
    in an odd way, wanting a non-standard syntax:

    It's silly -- I'm not sure if they've changed it in recent releases, but
    that was certainly the case in 5.x/6.x. "nntp:" seems to work well(-ish)
    in Opera though.

    In general, "news:news.group.name" is fairly well supported, but the
    others less so.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Jan 7, 2005
  14. Alex Vinokur

    paul Guest

    rf wrote:

    > "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote
    >

    >>href=news:alt.html
    >>It will not open a new message window.
    >>To do that, you may need a php or javascript thing.

    > Please provide an example where javascript can achieve what the OP wants.
    >
    > More importantly please provide an example where PHP can achieve what the OP
    > wants, or at the least cite a source (other than your own) that hints that
    > it even *possible* with PHP.

    I think PHP should be able to send a message to a news server, it's just
    like sending email except the headers are a little different & the
    server needs news account access.

    Here's a bunch of functions for basically writing your own google
    groups: http://us4.php.net/manual/en/ref.imap.php but I think you ought
    to be able to do what the OP asks with http://us4.php.net/mail Ah here,
    the second to last comment on the bottom of this page:
    http://us2.php.net/manual/en/function.imap-mail.php

    paul, Jan 7, 2005
  15. Alex Vinokur

    rf Guest

    "paul" <> wrote
    > rf wrote:
    >
    > > "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote
    > >

    > >>href=news:alt.html
    > >>It will not open a new message window.
    > >>To do that, you may need a php or javascript thing.

    > > Please provide an example where javascript can achieve what the OP

    wants.

    > > More importantly please provide an example where PHP can achieve what

    the OP
    > > wants, or at the least cite a source (other than your own) that hints

    that
    > > it even *possible* with PHP.

    > I think PHP should be able to send a message to a news server, it's just
    > like sending email except the headers are a little different & the
    > server needs news account access.

    You miss the point. The OP asked how to cause the mail clients new message
    window to appear as a result of some action in a browser, much like mailto:
    does (sometimes) for an email client.

    RtS said this could be done with PHP which we both know is bogus advice. PHP
    runs on the server, mailto: and news: protocols run on the client.

    I was taking him to task. Don't expect to hear anything though, I suspect he
    has me in his killfile :)

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jan 7, 2005
  16. Alex Vinokur

    rf Guest

    "Toby Inkster" <> wrote
    > rf wrote:
    >
    > > href=news:alt.html
    > > It is also a microsoft only invention, not the subject AFAIK of any RFC.

    > "news:" URLs are not an MS invention.

    I came to that conclusion because the MS documentation specifically refers
    to an RFC for mailto: but says nothing at all for news:. This usually
    indicates MS is smugly inventing things without considering public standards
    or recommendations.

    Now that this thread is jogging my memory I do actually recall seeing news:
    before, several years ago. In fact IIRC somebody posted an HTML page here
    that managed to open a news client (IE coupled to OE), create a "folder" and
    add to a specific newsgroup to that folder. I can't remember why though :)

    > In general, "news:news.group.name" is fairly well supported, but the
    > others less so.

    OK.

    So, *is* it possible to cause a new post window to appear?

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jan 7, 2005
  17. Alex Vinokur

    paul Guest

    rf wrote:

    > "paul" <> wrote
    >

    >>I think PHP should be able to send a message to a news server, it's just
    >>like sending email except the headers are a little different & the
    >>server needs news account access.

    > You miss the point. The OP asked how to cause the mail clients new message
    > window to appear as a result of some action in a browser, much like mailto:
    > does (sometimes) for an email client.
    >
    > RtS said this could be done with PHP which we both know is bogus advice. PHP
    > runs on the server, mailto: and news: protocols run on the client.

    I guess I read the OP differently. Certainly it wouldn't work that way.

    paul, Jan 7, 2005
  18. Toby Inkster wrote :
    > rf wrote:
    >
    >> href=news:alt.html
    >> It is also a microsoft only invention, not the subject AFAIK of any RFC.

    > "news:" URLs are not an MS invention. You can use:

    > -OR-
    >
    > There are also "nntp:" URLs, like this:
    >
    > nntp://news.server:119/news.group.name/12345

    FWIW....
    I am using MesNews and when I read this post, it recognises the "news:"
    urls as a clickable link.

    However, it did not recognise the "nntp:" url as a clickable link
    *until* I hit the /_reply_to_group_/ button.

    --
    eat beef jerky

    Disco Octopus, Jan 7, 2005