Invoking an external program in ASP.NET

Nibha Kothari

Hi,

I am trying to invoke an external email management
program from my ASP.NET web application. For testing
purposes I created a very simple webform that has a
single button. The code behind has the following:

Sub btnGo_Click(ByVal sender as System.Object, ByVal e as
System.EventArgs) Handles btnGo.Click
Dim objInfo As New ProcessStartInfo()
objInfo.FileName = "c:\program files\gammadyne
mailer\gm.exe"
objInfo.Arguments = "/t e:\temp\cba\eecm.txt"
Dim objProc As New Process()
objProc.Start(objInfo)
End Sub

When I click on the Go button, I can see gm.exe in the
Task Manager, but nothing happens. The program doesnt
send out the email like it's supposed to. When I use the
same piece of code in a Windows Application or a Windows
Service it works just fine.

I know this has to do with the security of the ASPNET
user, but I have also tried executing the webform and the
web application under a different user that belongs to
the Administrators group, but with the same result. So I
don't know what to do, please advice.

Regards,
Nibha