invoking outside programs from XSLT?

Discussion in 'XML' started by Keith Davies, Feb 8, 2005.

  1. Keith Davies

    Keith Davies Guest

    Hi All,

    is there a (reasonably) portable way in XSLT to invoke an external
    program? I've got data I want to represent as a number of charts.
    I can write SVG easily enough (and they look nice in PDF), but I
    want to produce PNG for inclusion on a website.

    Can I invoke a program from inside XSLT? I can include instructions
    in the Makefile to invoke the program to process the SVG, but I might
    prefer to do it directly from XSLT.

    I'm using SAXON 8.2b, for what it's worth... I could use a SAXON
    extension if needed (and it exists... I suspect it does), but if
    there's a more portable way I'd rather do that.

    Keith
    --
    Keith Davies
    http://www.kjdavies.org/

    Keith Davies, Feb 8, 2005

  2. Keith Davies <> writes:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > is there a (reasonably) portable way in XSLT to invoke an external
    > program? I've got data I want to represent as a number of charts.
    > I can write SVG easily enough (and they look nice in PDF), but I
    > want to produce PNG for inclusion on a website.
    >
    > Can I invoke a program from inside XSLT? I can include instructions
    > in the Makefile to invoke the program to process the SVG, but I might
    > prefer to do it directly from XSLT.
    >
    > I'm using SAXON 8.2b, for what it's worth... I could use a SAXON
    > extension if needed (and it exists... I suspect it does), but if
    > there's a more portable way I'd rather do that.

    You can use an extension function (saxon allows you to escape to java
    for example) an alternative that is in some sense more portable is to
    use the document() function with a URI that points to a server and then
    arrange that your program runs on the server using cgi-bin script or
    some other technology of your choice.

    David

    David Carlisle, Feb 8, 2005