ioctl alternative (linux)

Nico Coesel

I'm looking for a faster alternative to talk to a device driver. I
noticed every ioctl call takes about 20ms. This is way too slow for my
purpose. Any hints?

Joe Pfeiffer

I'm looking for a faster alternative to talk to a device driver. I
noticed every ioctl call takes about 20ms. This is way too slow for my
purpose. Any hints?

First hint would be to take it to a Linux group. This one is about the
C programming language.

Second would be to give some more details: why is it too long? Is this
a driver you're writing, or one that is part of your distribution?

Jorgen Grahn

First hint would be to take it to a Linux group.

Like comp.os.linux.development.system. Followup set.
C programming language.

Second would be to give some more details: why is it too long? Is this
a driver you're writing, or one that is part of your distribution?

One reflection: 20 ms seems insanely long, unless this is some
extremely low-powered embedded system. I know I've done ioctl's at a
rate of 1e+05 to 1e+06 per second or so on recent-ish PC hardware --
and these ioctls also did plenty of work. (Not that I think it's a
good idea to do system calls at this insane rate, but I couldn't
change the design.)

/Jorgen

Nico Coesel

Joe Pfeiffer said:
First hint would be to take it to a Linux group. This one is about the
C programming language.

I tried to find one but most of the Linux groups appear to be 'dead'.
Second would be to give some more details: why is it too long? Is this
a driver you're writing, or one that is part of your distribution?

I found the problem. A sleep (which shouldn't be there) in one of the
drivers was the culprit.