    I only let them vote on my poll once. I set a cookie and put there IP in my
    database. Then I do a select to see if there IP is in the database and check
    to see if they have a cookie. Does anyone see a problem with this?
    Dave, Jan 28, 2004

  2. Dave

    Ray at Guest

    I see a couple of problems.

    1. Your clock is wrong. You're jumping to the ~end~ of the line, which I
    guess is extremely courteous. :]

    2. A user can delete his cookie and vote again.

    3. It's quite likely that more than one person will access your site via
    the same IP, like users behind a firewall or a proxy server or AOL users.
    There isn't a 100% fool-proof way of veryfing that one person does one thing
    only one time. How can you determine it? It can't be done with any common
    technology. You can make people register to vote and send confirmation
    e-mails before they can vote, but even with that, I'd say that the average
    person has over 1 e-mail address. Unless you can retina scan your site
    visitors, you can't stop someone from doing something twice if he really
    wants to, unfortunately. The best you can do is make it too much of a PITA
    for someone to do something repeatedly and hope that it's enough.

    Ray at home

    Ray at, Jan 29, 2004