  1. Chris M

    Chris M Guest

    How do I find out the range of IP addresses which covers the UK? Thanks!

    Chris M, Jan 4, 2005

  2. Chris M

    Oli Filth Guest

    Chris M wrote:
    > How do I find out the range of IP addresses which covers the UK? Thanks!

    IP address values aren't based on geography. There is no specific range
    that covers the UK. Why do you need to know?

    If you're trying to find the ISP of a user for instance, a better way
    might be to do a DNS lookup on the ISP address and see if the URL
    contains "uk". (Just a guess).

    --
    Oli

    Oli Filth, Jan 5, 2005

  3. Chris M

    Richard Guest

    Chris wrote on Tue, 04 Jan 2005 18:39:05 GMT:

    > How do I find out the range of IP addresses which covers the UK? Thanks!

    Try this nifty little porgram. Written by a guy from icann.

    http://www.irnis.net/soft/xipl/

    In the IP locator bar, enter 82.0.0.0 then press locate.
    This will give a whole slew of IP's for the UK.

    Richard, Jan 5, 2005
  4. Chris M

    Richard Guest

    Oli wrote on Wed, 05 Jan 2005 00:22:32 GMT:

    > Chris M wrote:

    ??>> How do I find out the range of IP addresses which covers the UK?
    ??>> Thanks!

    > IP address values aren't based on geography. There is no specific range
    > that covers the UK. Why do you need to know?

    > If you're trying to find the ISP of a user for instance, a better way
    > might be to do a DNS lookup on the ISP address and see if the URL
    > contains "uk". (Just a guess).

    Yes they are country specific.
    My IP starts with 64.x.x.x
    That IP range only by USA cable companies.
    A small country like Tuvalu, or Andorra, probably won't get any more than
    one block assigned to them.
    A block being in the range of X.0.0.0 to X.0.0.255.
    With xipl IP locaotor you can see which countries are assinged which blocks.

    http://www.irnis.net/soft/xipl/

    Richard, Jan 5, 2005
  5. Roy Schestowitz, Jan 5, 2005
  6. Chris M

    Oli Filth Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Oli wrote on Wed, 05 Jan 2005 00:22:32 GMT:
    >

    >>Chris M wrote:

    > ??>> How do I find out the range of IP addresses which covers the UK?
    > ??>> Thanks!
    >

    >>IP address values aren't based on geography. There is no specific range
    >>that covers the UK. Why do you need to know?

    >>If you're trying to find the ISP of a user for instance, a better way
    >>might be to do a DNS lookup on the ISP address and see if the URL
    >>contains "uk". (Just a guess).

    > Yes they are country specific.

    No.

    Oli Filth, Jan 5, 2005
  7. Chris M

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Oli Filth wrote:

    > If you're trying to find the ISP of a user for instance, a better way
    > might be to do a DNS lookup on the ISP address and see if the URL
    > contains "uk". (Just a guess).

    AOL is the UK's second largest ISP with about 2.5 megausers. Reverse DNS
    yields ".com", not ".uk". BTopenworld (.com) is also a big one.

    Better to use RIPE's <http://www.ripe.net/> database to find the country
    associated with the IP address.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Jan 5, 2005
  8. In article <>,
    says...
    > Oli Filth wrote:
    >
    > > If you're trying to find the ISP of a user for instance, a better way
    > > might be to do a DNS lookup on the ISP address and see if the URL
    > > contains "uk". (Just a guess).

    > AOL is the UK's second largest ISP with about 2.5 megausers.

    Is a "megauser" someone like Rick Waller, or is it one million smaller
    people?

    --
    Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
    I do not eat quiche.

    Hywel Jenkins, Jan 5, 2005
  9. Chris M

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 18:39:05 GMT, "Chris M" <> wrote:

    >How do I find out the range of IP addresses which covers the UK?

    You don't. It's either not a good thing to do, or it can't be done
    well enough.

    As a rough guide, it's quite easy to take a list of allocated IP space
    for some "well known" ISPs, and to do a look-up based on this list.
    It's still dubious though - Apart from the obvious AOL, there are
    issues like Demon's Dutch connection, or any ongoing influence of
    Wanadoo's takeover. So for a small set of IPs you can do this, and
    reasonably well, but it's not a particularly large fraction of
    potential incoming IPs.

    For commercial desktops, it's even worse. Small businesses will
    generally be using these same "retail" ISPs (see above). Others though
    will be multinationals who could be coming from anywhere, yet will
    probably be using space from the Class B their NY head office
    registered decades ago.

    Then there are phones, wireless hotspots and roaming dial-in
    agreements.

    Doing a reverse loookup is possible, but this is a time-consuming
    operation and it can whack your server load up enormously if you're
    not careful. It still doesn't work for many of the reasons given.

    If you really care about proving location, then you just can't do it
    from IP address. Legal opinion (that I paid real money for, admittedly
    some years ago) was that the attempt to do this could be seen as
    accepting some liability for actually getting it right - and that the
    site could be on dubious legal ground if it was important to get this
    location right , and IP address was the only mechanism.

    If you're shipping swastikas to Europe-except-Germany, then you will
    probably find that IP address isn't going to meet your needs. Trying
    to deal with Saudi Arabia or China is actually easier, as you can
    treat this as recognising a much smaller set of "known" proxies and
    bar everything else.

    If you care, there are commercial services that offer geographical
    lookup from IP, and they try to keep their lookups fast and current.
    They're still much less than perfect though.
    --
    Smert' spamionam

    Andy Dingley, Jan 5, 2005
  10. Chris M

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Hywel Jenkins wrote:

    > Is a "megauser" someone like Rick Waller, or is it one million smaller
    > people?

    It's TIC for a million users.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS