IP-Cor for the old 8086/8087 ?

Hartmut Reinke

Hello,

i was searching for an replacement of an Intel 8086 und 8087, and some
more IO-chips, which are no more physically available today.

I found several Cores at reasonable prices, but I still miss a
replacement for the 8086 an 8087. (we cannot use the 80186-kompatibles,
because we need the same interrupt interface as the 8086). We had a
solution, using an 80486DX2, which is quite compatible, but even this
one seems to have a limited availability.

Somebody knows someting? There should be a great demand fo a solution,
to keep older control systems running. It need not be free of cost.

Hartmut

Hans

Hello Hartmut,

I would speak to CAST (http://www.cast-inc.com/) since I am pretty sure they
can modify their 186 to an 8086 (just remove the 8259 PIC?). They also have
a 187 core both are supplied by Evatronix so they should be able to come up
with a nice solution, the price might be a different story :)

Hans
www.ht-lab.com

| Hello,
|
| i was searching for an replacement of an Intel 8086 und 8087, and some
| more IO-chips, which are no more physically available today.
|
| I found several Cores at reasonable prices, but I still miss a
| replacement for the 8086 an 8087. (we cannot use the 80186-kompatibles,
| because we need the same interrupt interface as the 8086). We had a
| solution, using an 80486DX2, which is quite compatible, but even this
| one seems to have a limited availability.
|
| Somebody knows someting? There should be a great demand fo a solution,
| to keep older control systems running. It need not be free of cost.
|
| Hartmut

Hartmut Reinke

Hans said:
Hello Hartmut,

I would speak to CAST (http://www.cast-inc.com/) since I am pretty sure they
can modify their 186 to an 8086 (just remove the 8259 PIC?). They also have
a 187 core both are supplied by Evatronix so they should be able to come up
with a nice solution, the price might be a different story :)

Hans
www.ht-lab.com
Thank you for that Information.
Meanwhile we know, we could even use the 80186 as it is (unneeded
peripherals, including the 8259 can be disabled without greater
problems), so we have some choice concerning the 8086, but there seems
to be no other source for a reasonable fpu except evatronix.
It seems to be good, but the price will surely be a great problem... :-(

Hartmut
www.srel.de

Tobias Weingartner

Hartmut said:
Thank you for that Information.
Meanwhile we know, we could even use the 80186 as it is (unneeded
peripherals, including the 8259 can be disabled without greater
problems), so we have some choice concerning the 8086, but there seems
to be no other source for a reasonable fpu except evatronix.
It seems to be good, but the price will surely be a great problem... :-(

Hartmut
www.srel.de

I'm a newbie, but it seems to be that if you need an 8086, would it
not make more sense to pick up one of the various low-power [345]86
chips out there, and use it? Why waste all that fpga/etc real-estate
on an 8086? :)

Hartmut Reinke

Tobias said:
I'm a newbie, but it seems to be that if you need an 8086, would it
not make more sense to pick up one of the various low-power [345]86
chips out there, and use it? Why waste all that fpga/etc real-estate
on an 8086? :)

Yes, this is not a bad idea.
But with all of these CPUs we may run into a problem of availability. We
got burned serveral times, and we should be able to deliver spare parts
at least for the next 10 years. If necessary, we could change the type
of fpga by recompiling our design, but replacing an undeliverable cpu
will be a greater job.

Hartmut

Hans

| Hartmut Reinke wrote:
| > Hans schrieb:
| >

| I'm a newbie, but it seems to be that if you need an 8086, would it
| not make more sense to pick up one of the various low-power [345]86
| chips out there, and use it? Why waste all that fpga/etc real-estate
| on an 8086? :)

It is actually not that bad, my 8086 takes about 9% of a Spartan 3S5000 :)

To use a more realistic part, it takes 40% of a Spartan S31000 and 34% of a
Cyclone C20 both with a 14.7456MHz clock constraint. A large chunk of the
real estate is taken up by the 32/16 bits divider.

Regards,
Hans
www.ht-lab.com