IP-core in VHDL

mep

Hi out there
Does anybody here know about an implementation in VHDL for x86? Freeware -
shareware or professionel!
Mogens Pelle

Antti Lukats

mep said:
Hi out there
Does anybody here know about an implementation in VHDL for x86? Freeware -
shareware or professionel!

1) there is no free x86, not known to us
2) there is virtually no shareware IP-cores at all !!!
3) there are commercial x86 cores from several vendors (mentor/ARC,...)

Antti
xilinx.openchip.org

PPS I have some half way made x86 core, but that is not for public not yet.
A SoC system existed that did some print on graphic LCD (on xilinx ML300)
etc.. maybe it will be released one day.

Hans

Hi Mogens,

Any particular reason why you need an x86 core? I have written my own 8086
core in VHDL and I can tell you it was a real struggle. The 86 instruction
decoder is not particular "HDL friendly" and I spend lots of time
implementing all the exceptions. I suspect that for this reason you can only
find commercial cores and they are not cheap (probably in the region of
£20K). Try http://www.cast-inc.com/ they have a very fast 186 core,

Regards,
Hans.
www.ht-lab.com

mep

test. I have tried to respond, but the mail was refused. If this goes throu,
I will try again
mogens

mep

Hi Hans,
Yes to me there is. I am working at the technical university of Denmark and
we have for many years used a 8088-based system to teach microprocessor
design. The hardware is worn out and have to be replaced by a FPGA-based
board. But all our examples, projects, drills etc. are based on this system.
To make the transition easier, we are looking for an IP-core, which can
execute 8088-compatibel code and make it possible to use the old "software"
at least for a period..

Is your core for sale?

Mogens