IP dns question

GriffithsJ

I have a series of websites, let's call them "customer1.mydomain.co.uk" -->
"customer200.mydomain.co.uk".

Each URL is bound to an individual IP address which can be resolved using
nslookup.

So, for example
customer1.mydomain.co.uk = 100.200.300.1
customer200.mydomain.co.uk = 100.200.300.200

However, I can't fit all these 200 websites on the same server, so I have
bought 4 servers, serverA -> serverD.

I have arbitrarily put customer 1-50 on serverA, customer 51-100 on serverB
etc.

Having set all this up, I now find that customers 1-50 represent most of the
load, so I want to distribute the load a bit more evenly. You can imagine
the scenario.

As part of my Admin tools, I've created a display that does dynamic lookups
of the URLs and returns me the IP address from the DNS A record. However, I
want to have some way of finding out which machine this IP is actually bound
to. I'm constantly migrating dealers from one server to another and keeping
track of this manually is too great a headache. Does anyone know of a
method of saying "I've know the web site address by a) the URL and b) the IP
address, I now need to find out the name of the server on which it is
bound". Each server has a primary IP address that is "permanent" and not
associated with any customers' web site.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Griff

Roland Hall

:
<!--SNiP-->

You're probably going to catch hell for this post since you posted to
microsoft.public.windows.server.dns
microsoft.public.win2000.dns
microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general
microsoft.public.inetserver.misc

Unless your web servers are running on W2K, this does not have anything to
do with:
microsoft.public.win2000.dns

These definitely do NOT have anything to do with DNS:

microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general

This one really doesn't either but it is server related:
microsoft.public.inetserver.misc

That leaves us with this;
microsoft.public.windows.server.dns

It is also not really a DNS question since it is a philosophy or methodology
question related to host name naming practices. It should fall more into
the security arena because adding the server name to your URL is a security
issue. Your servers should be behind firewalls. Your internal DNS can have
anything it wants but external should only have public domain naming.

Please only follow up in m.p.window.server.dns

--
Roland

This information is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
or fitness for a particular purpose.
-Technet Knowledge Base-
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;kbhowto&sd=TECH&ln=EN-US&FR=0
-Technet Script Center-
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/scriptcenter/default.asp
-WSH 5.6 documentation download-
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...48-207D-4BE1-8A76-1C4099D7BBB9&displaylang=en
-MSDN Library-
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp

GriffithsJ

Hi Roland

Apologies if I posted to groups that you don't think were appropriate.
However, to my mind they seemed the most appropriate ones for reaching the
groups of people who would most likely have been faced with a similar
problem.

Griff

VBCodr

then you need to learn how to use newsgroups.
first rule: don't bite the hands that could feed you.

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard

G> However, I want to have some way of finding out which machine
G> this IP is actually bound to.

Create (in the DNS database) and publish appropriate address->name mappings
for all of your IP addresses. Then perform address->name DNS lookups.

GriffithsJ

VBCodr said:
then you need to learn how to use newsgroups.
first rule: don't bite the hands that could feed you.

Okay....

First, I'd like to re-iterate my apology.

Second, "VBCodr", I'd really appreciate it if you could teach me proper
"newsgroup etiquette" since the last thing I want to do would be to alienate
those very people whom I'm trying to get to help me. As mentioned
previously, I have a problem that I believe is most likely to affect web
developers and specifically involves DNS. My problem is that I need to
solve the problem using a web programming environment and therefore
(wrongly, as it turns out) thought that I should contact people in both the
web development and the dns fields of expertise. I've obviously got this
quite wrong so I would therefore be most grateful if you would explain how
to correctly choose the most appropriate newsgroups for such a question.

And finally...should anyone actually be able to provide an answer to my
question then that would be espescially great.

Many thanks

Griff

Bob Barrows

GriffithsJ said:
Okay....

First, I'd like to re-iterate my apology.

It was back-handed :)
Second, "VBCodr", I'd really appreciate it if you could teach me
proper "newsgroup etiquette"

PMFJI

It's pretty simple: pick one newsgroup that seems appropriate. Post your
question to it. If you guessed wrong, usually somebody will reply and
redirect you to the appropriate newsgroup.
Your intent should not be to force as many people as possible to read your
question: your intent should be to ask your question to the people who are
most likely to have the knowledge to answer the question.

I do congratulate you for cross-posting rather than multi-posting.
And finally...should anyone actually be able to provide an answer to
my question then that would be espescially great.

Sorry, I've been developing web applications for several years, but I've
never had to deal with DNS issues (a good clue that the newsgroup I read
this message in was not an appropriate group for this question). I usually
leave that stuff to the network people.

Bob Barrows

Roger Abell [MVP]

Each time you add an IP to one of your servers
dump an updated list of IPs bound to the machine.
In your mgmt code, use the four lists as x-ref lookups.

Roger

Kevin D. Goodknecht [MVP]

In Roland Hall <nobody@nowhere> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
[...]