IP dns question

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by GriffithsJ, Jan 19, 2004.

  1. GriffithsJ

    GriffithsJ Guest

    I have a series of websites, let's call them "customer1.mydomain.co.uk" -->
    "customer200.mydomain.co.uk".

    Each URL is bound to an individual IP address which can be resolved using
    nslookup.

    So, for example
    customer1.mydomain.co.uk = 100.200.300.1
    customer200.mydomain.co.uk = 100.200.300.200

    However, I can't fit all these 200 websites on the same server, so I have
    bought 4 servers, serverA -> serverD.

    I have arbitrarily put customer 1-50 on serverA, customer 51-100 on serverB
    etc.

    Having set all this up, I now find that customers 1-50 represent most of the
    load, so I want to distribute the load a bit more evenly. You can imagine
    the scenario.

    As part of my Admin tools, I've created a display that does dynamic lookups
    of the URLs and returns me the IP address from the DNS A record. However, I
    want to have some way of finding out which machine this IP is actually bound
    to. I'm constantly migrating dealers from one server to another and keeping
    track of this manually is too great a headache. Does anyone know of a
    method of saying "I've know the web site address by a) the URL and b) the IP
    address, I now need to find out the name of the server on which it is
    bound". Each server has a primary IP address that is "permanent" and not
    associated with any customers' web site.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks

    Griff

    GriffithsJ, Jan 19, 2004

  2. GriffithsJ

    Roland Hall Guest

    Re: IP dns question - OT for all except m.p.windows.server.dns

    "GriffithsJ" wrote:
    <!--SNiP-->

    You're probably going to catch hell for this post since you posted to
    microsoft.public.windows.server.dns
    microsoft.public.win2000.dns
    microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript
    microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
    microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general
    microsoft.public.inetserver.misc

    Unless your web servers are running on W2K, this does not have anything to
    do with:
    microsoft.public.win2000.dns

    These definitely do NOT have anything to do with DNS:

    microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript
    microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
    microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general

    This one really doesn't either but it is server related:
    microsoft.public.inetserver.misc

    That leaves us with this;
    microsoft.public.windows.server.dns

    It is also not really a DNS question since it is a philosophy or methodology
    question related to host name naming practices. It should fall more into
    the security arena because adding the server name to your URL is a security
    issue. Your servers should be behind firewalls. Your internal DNS can have
    anything it wants but external should only have public domain naming.

    Please only follow up in m.p.window.server.dns

    --
    Roland

    This information is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
    or fitness for a particular purpose.
    -Technet Knowledge Base-
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;kbhowto&sd=TECH&ln=EN-US&FR=0
    -Technet Script Center-
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/scriptcenter/default.asp
    -WSH 5.6 documentation download-
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...48-207D-4BE1-8A76-1C4099D7BBB9&displaylang=en
    -MSDN Library-
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp

    Roland Hall, Jan 19, 2004

  3. GriffithsJ

    GriffithsJ Guest

    Re: IP dns question - OT for all except m.p.windows.server.dns

    Hi Roland

    Apologies if I posted to groups that you don't think were appropriate.
    However, to my mind they seemed the most appropriate ones for reaching the
    groups of people who would most likely have been faced with a similar
    problem.

    Griff

    GriffithsJ, Jan 19, 2004
  4. GriffithsJ

    VBCodr Guest

    Re: IP dns question - OT for all except m.p.windows.server.dns

    then you need to learn how to use newsgroups.
    first rule: don't bite the hands that could feed you.

    VBCodr, Jan 19, 2004
  5. Re: IP dns question - OT for all except m.p.windows.server.dns

    <URL:http://homepages.tesco.net./~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/add-the-followup-to-header.html>

    Jonathan de Boyne Pollard, Jan 19, 2004
  6. G> However, I want to have some way of finding out which machine
    G> this IP is actually bound to.

    Create (in the DNS database) and publish appropriate address->name mappings
    for all of your IP addresses. Then perform address->name DNS lookups.

    Jonathan de Boyne Pollard, Jan 19, 2004
  7. GriffithsJ

    GriffithsJ Guest

    "VBCodr" <> wrote in message
    > then you need to learn how to use newsgroups.
    > first rule: don't bite the hands that could feed you.

    Okay....

    First, I'd like to re-iterate my apology.

    Second, "VBCodr", I'd really appreciate it if you could teach me proper
    "newsgroup etiquette" since the last thing I want to do would be to alienate
    those very people whom I'm trying to get to help me. As mentioned
    previously, I have a problem that I believe is most likely to affect web
    developers and specifically involves DNS. My problem is that I need to
    solve the problem using a web programming environment and therefore
    (wrongly, as it turns out) thought that I should contact people in both the
    web development and the dns fields of expertise. I've obviously got this
    quite wrong so I would therefore be most grateful if you would explain how
    to correctly choose the most appropriate newsgroups for such a question.

    And finally...should anyone actually be able to provide an answer to my
    question then that would be espescially great.

    Many thanks

    Griff

    GriffithsJ, Jan 19, 2004
  8. GriffithsJ

    Bob Barrows Guest

    GriffithsJ wrote:
    > "VBCodr" <> wrote in message
    >> then you need to learn how to use newsgroups.
    >> first rule: don't bite the hands that could feed you.

    > Okay....
    >
    > First, I'd like to re-iterate my apology.

    It was back-handed :)

    > Second, "VBCodr", I'd really appreciate it if you could teach me
    > proper "newsgroup etiquette"

    PMFJI

    It's pretty simple: pick one newsgroup that seems appropriate. Post your
    question to it. If you guessed wrong, usually somebody will reply and
    redirect you to the appropriate newsgroup.
    Your intent should not be to force as many people as possible to read your
    question: your intent should be to ask your question to the people who are
    most likely to have the knowledge to answer the question.

    I do congratulate you for cross-posting rather than multi-posting.

    > And finally...should anyone actually be able to provide an answer to
    > my question then that would be espescially great.

    Sorry, I've been developing web applications for several years, but I've
    never had to deal with DNS issues (a good clue that the newsgroup I read
    this message in was not an appropriate group for this question). I usually
    leave that stuff to the network people.

    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows, Jan 19, 2004
  9. Re: IP dns question - OT for all except m.p.windows.server.dns

    (Followups To:microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)

    "GriffithsJ" <> wrote

    > First, I'd like to re-iterate my apology.
    >
    > Second, "VBCodr", I'd really appreciate it if you could teach me proper
    > "newsgroup etiquette" since the last thing I want to do would be to alienate
    > those very people whom I'm trying to get to help me.

    Here is a start:

    http://www.mvps.org/vb/index.html?rants/ignoreme.htm

    LFS

    Larry Serflaten, Jan 19, 2004
  10. Re: IP dns question - OT for all except m.p.windows.server.dns

    <URL:http://www.templetons.com./brad/emily.html>

    Jonathan de Boyne Pollard, Jan 19, 2004
  11. Re: IP dns question - OT for all except m.p.windows.server.dns

    Each time you add an IP to one of your servers
    dump an updated list of IPs bound to the machine.
    In your mgmt code, use the four lists as x-ref lookups.

    Roger

    Roger Abell [MVP], Jan 19, 2004
  12. Re: IP dns question - OT for all except m.p.windows.server.dns

    In news:,
    Roland Hall <nobody@nowhere> posted a question
    Then Kevin replied below:
    : "GriffithsJ" wrote:
[...]