IP Information

Charles A. Lackman

Hello,

I am running a web server from my home and when anyone visits my web site, I
get a report that shows the IP address of the visitor. Is there a way to
get more information about the visitor, like thier Email address or other
types of contact information?

WhoIs only gives me the ISP.

Thanks,

Chuck

Kyril Magnos

Chuck,

No, you cannot get email address or other personal information unless the
user provides it to you with their consent. This is for security and privacy
reasons (and with the new spam laws being dreamed up, you may not want to
even try!). You can provide your users with a form to fill out and ask them
to provide this information if you need it.

--
HTH

Kyril Magnos

| Hello,
|
| I am running a web server from my home and when anyone visits my web site,
| get a report that shows the IP address of the visitor. Is there a way to
| get more information about the visitor, like thier Email address or other
| types of contact information?
|
| WhoIs only gives me the ISP.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Chuck

Mark Rae

I am running a web server from my home and when anyone visits my web site, I
get a report that shows the IP address of the visitor. Is there a way to
get more information about the visitor, like thier Email address or other
types of contact information?

Not really possible to get their email address - you don't actually have to
have an email address to be on the Internet(!) - think of an Internet
café... However, you can get quite a lot of stuff by a combination of
Request.ServerVariables and the client-side JavaScript navigation object.

http://www.markrae.co.uk/zzScratch/debug.aspx