ip location appears on web page

mrcakey

Mike Barnard said:
[1] Odd thing is, Ferring, UK, where I live has the greatest
percentage of over 80's in any UK area. I never see a granny showing
her bits to me in these ads.

"Get your lawn bowls out for the lads"

+mrcakey

Toby A Inkster

Mike said:
I often find pop up windows from 'Friendfinder' or something who tell me
that there are people in my village who are "looking for me" [1]. How do
they know the name of my village? My exchange is 4km away in a
differently named town, my domain is registered with a company based in
scotland. There are no servers, exchanges or anything else techy in the
village. Sometimes the ads say Brighton instead, though.

Several ways. Firstly there are big databases of IP addresses, such as
Maxmind GeoIP. You can try out their service here:

http://www.maxmind.com/app/lookup_city

Maxmind gets their information from a variety of sources -- mostly by
buying data from online retailers. The retailer records your delivery
address and your IP address, which gives it a rough guess of where that IP
is located -- sure you might be ordering something to be delivered to a
different address, but with GeoIP averaging out the data over thousands of
data sets, they end up with reasonably accurate results.

They claim to be 99% accurate at country-level, and 81% accurate at city
level in the US (only 54% in the UK, varies in other countries -- by
"accurate at city level" they mean "within 25 miles of the city"). They
also offer a free version with slightly less accuracy, but still good
enough for advertisers of the type you mentioned.

Both the free and paid for versions give me my IP address in Maidstone,
Kent, which is probably outside their 25 mile range (I've not bothered
measuring the distance), but not a million miles away either. (I live
about 20 miles from you -- in Lewes.)

Some sites seem to believe I live in Popham, Hampshire -- not sure which
database they use, but probably one of Maxmind's competitors.

Another option is to run a whois query on the IP address. For larger
offices who actually manage their own IP space, this should give them the
full office address. For most home users at ISPs this end up returning the
ISP's head office address, or perhaps a slightly more accurate address,
such as a local telephone exchange. Some ISPs allow home users to manage
their (static) IP addresses and provide proper whois information. Running
a whois on my IP address at whois.ripe.net gives my correct address and
postcode.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 21 days, 19:20.]

Bottled Water
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2008/02/18/bottled-water/

FrederickRiley

This (below) is what I am talking about!

I am trying to create a web page where the person browsing my web page
will have the town of there IP location appears on the page.  For
example a person in Springfield PA browsing the page will see the word
"Springfield" whereas someone browsing the same page from Newark NJ
will see the word "Newark" instead.
Any help would be appreciated.
Carol Riley

Just butting in here.

I often find pop up windows from 'Friendfinder' or something who tell
me that there are people in my village who are "looking for me" [1].
How do they know the name of my village? My exchange is 4km away in a
differently named town, my domain is registered with a company based
in scotland. There are no servers, exchanges or anything else techy in
the village. Sometimes the ads say Brighton instead, though.

What info can they find to narrow it down to the village?  I'm really
curious now.

[1] Odd thing is, Ferring, UK, where I live has the greatest
percentage of over 80's in any UK area.  I never see a granny showing
her bits to me in these ads.

dorayme

<[email protected]
m>,
Andy Dingley said:
There is no simple relation between IP and geography. Most IP that
you see belong to large national ISPs, and these could are resolvable
to no more than a large region at best.

All this is relative. On an intergalcatic scale, it would resolve
to pretty specific. I personally would find it useful - when on a
space walkabout - to know I am near the earth. Call it a
psychological comfort if you like.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 20 Feb 2008 12:05:28 GMT
Mike Barnard scribed:
Just butting in here.

I often find pop up windows from 'Friendfinder' or something who tell
me that there are people in my village who are "looking for me" [1].
How do they know the name of my village? My exchange is 4km away in a
differently named town, my domain is registered with a company based
in scotland. There are no servers, exchanges or anything else techy in
the village. Sometimes the ads say Brighton instead, though.

What info can they find to narrow it down to the village? I'm really
curious now.

[1] Odd thing is, Ferring, UK, where I live has the greatest
percentage of over 80's in any UK area. I never see a granny showing
her bits to me in these ads.

Hey, if you're the type of guy who enjoys perusing a granny's bits, there's
probably not a heck of a lot of "friends" out there who'll want to find
you, anyway...

Jeff

It does not need to be perfect for my purposes

It won't be. Go buy an IP to location list. Google yields several of
them.

That won't be hard to implement (it can be as little as one line),
but the method will vary depending on your side scripting and what
format the IP list is in as well as how fast you want it.

Jeff