IPython Article on O'Reilly's ONLamp site

Jeremy Jones

I've written an article on IPython which is now live on O'Reilly's
ONLamp site at
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/python/2005/01/27/ipython.html. All
feedback is welcome. Regardless of what you may think of the article, I
hope it encourages everyone to at least try out IPython. IPython has
become an indispensible tool in my toolbox. I cannot say enough great
things about it.

Jeremy Jones

Ville Vainio

Jeremy> feedback is welcome. Regardless of what you may think of
Jeremy> the article, I hope it encourages everyone to at least try
Jeremy> out IPython. IPython has become an indispensible tool in
Jeremy> my toolbox. I cannot say enough great things about it.

I've said this before, but I'd just like to add that IPython (with the
pysh profile) makes a damn fine command prompt for Windows. The loss
of job control is not a problem there, because it never was there in
the first place.

Even if you never use the underlying Python functionality, you can
enjoy the Bash-like filename completion (the only way to fly - the
windows "4dos-style" completion doesn't cut it for me). I've never
really trusted Bash (from cygwin) in Windows, it has always felt very
alien. Just install ipython and the "unxutils" package, and windows
command prompt suddenly becomes usable.

What is essential for me (because I deal with complex source trees) is
the persistent "bookmark functionality" for directories (yes,
Fernando, this is a shameless plug ;-):

Lines starting w/ @POR078 are commands typed by the user.

------- ipython session -------------

@POR078[prj]|22> %bookmark?

Manage IPython's bookmark system.

%bookmark <name> - set bookmark to current dir
%bookmark -l - list all bookmarks
%bookmark -d <name> - remove bookmark
%bookmark -r - remove all bookmarks

You can later on access a bookmarked folder with:
%cd -b <name>
or simply '%cd <name>' if there is no directory called <name> AND
there is such a bookmark defined.

Your bookmarks persist through IPython sessions, but they are
associated with each profile.

@POR078[testrunner]|24> %bookmark tr
@POR078[testrunner]|25> cd /prj/SyncML/doc/
@POR078[doc]|26> %bookmark smldoc