Iran opens Nuclear Enrichment School, judeo-yank-fascists in defeat

Discussion in 'Python' started by thermate@india.com, Feb 4, 2007.

  1. Guest

    First the tiny hezbollah destroyed merkevas one after another using
    precision anti-tank weapons reducing the israelis to madness of
    indiscriminate cluster bombing.

    But the Iranians are the smartest of these Islamics. Grand chess
    masters ... who once saved the ass of jews under Cyrus the Great from
    Nebuchadnezzer

    =================

    Open house at Iranian nuclear site

    Isfahan, Iran
    February 5, 2007
    AdvertisementAdvertisement

    Iran has opened one of its nuclear sites to local and international
    reporters and ambassadors to show the transparency of its program
    before a UN Security Council deadline this month.

    Tehran has kept up efforts to give the site at Isfahan more publicity.
    A tourism official said late last year that Iran planned to open it
    and other nuclear plants to foreign tourists.

    Iran's ambassador to the International Atomic Energy Agency, Ali
    Asghar Soltanieh, said the purpose of the tour was to assure the world
    that Iran's program was peaceful.

    "In fact we have representatives from all over the world," Mr
    Soltanieh said. "We decided to have them come here and see for
    themselves," he said.

    He made a point of emphasising the IAEA surveillance cameras at
    Isfahan.

    Photographers and video camera operators were not allowed to take
    pictures in the outside area of the compound.

    Uranium ore is converted into yellowcake and gas at Isfahan. The gas
    is transferred to the more sophisticated plant at Natanz, where it
    could be enriched with centrifuges.

    Reporters at the weekend passed the Natanz site but were not allowed
    inside, where Iran recently said it was installing 3000 centrifuges.

    NEW YORK TIMES

    , Feb 4, 2007

  2. Frank Arthur Guest

    It is good to blow up a marketplace full of people buying and selling food

    It is good to blow up a marketplace full of people buying and selling food
    in Iraq.
    This is how Muslim insurgents will drive "the enemy" out of their country.
    By killing and maiming fellow Iraqis! The traditional Muslim way.
    The way of Allah! The way of the Quaran! The way of Mohammed!
    They don't need any democracy. They don't need free elections. They are true
    believers!

    Suicide truck bomber kills at least 130 in Baghdad
    By Tina Susman, Times Staff Writer
    11:23 AM PST, February 3, 2007

    BAGHDAD -- A suicide bomber posing as a trucker hauling food drove into a
    busy market in central Baghdad today and blew himself up, killing at least
    130 people, injuring more than 300, and capping a particularly volatile day
    in Iraq's sectarian war.

    Seven car bombs also tore through the northern city of Kirkuk, leaving two
    dead in attacks that underscored tensions enveloping the oil-rich region as
    Arabs and Kurds vie for power. Another person died south of Baghdad in a
    separate car bombing.

    The incidents illustrated the breadth of polarization plaguing Iraq as U.S.
    and Iraqi officials prepare for what they vow will be a decisive crackdown
    on insurgents.

    The Interior Ministry said the blast in the market in Sadriya killed at
    least 130 people and injured 305. It came in the early evening as shoppers
    thronged the stalls and tiny shops to stock up for the evening meal. Hamed
    Majed, a butcher, was tending to customers when he saw a large yellow truck
    trying to navigate down the narrow, alley-like street leading through the
    market.

    Frank Arthur, Feb 4, 2007

  3. Re: It is good to blow up a marketplace full of people buying andselling food

    Frank,
    Could you please try and stick to discussing python related subjects on this
    mailing list?

    - Jonathan

    Jonathan Curran, Feb 4, 2007

    On Feb 4, 11:46 am, "Frank Arthur" <> wrote:
    > It is good to blow up a marketplace full of people buying and selling food
    > in Iraq.
    > This is how Muslim insurgents will drive "the enemy" out of their country.
    > By killing and maiming fellow Iraqis! The traditional Muslim way.
    > The way of Allah! The way of the Quaran! The way of Mohammed!
    > They don't need any democracy. They don't need free elections. They are true
    > believers!

    Excellent comment by the internet spook on duty. Your analysis is
    correct that they are CIA PATSIES. They dont have the smarts of Cuba,
    India, Iran, Venezuela, Israel or the Yanks. Its quite obvious who is
    behind the controlled demolition of Silverstein Properties and the
    Golden Dome of that mosque or shrine of the Shia.

    Dr Fidel Castro Ruz has made Cuba into a leading Biotechnology Center
    of the World. Many American sheeple dont even know the full name of Dr
    Ruz, or his occupation or even the status of Cuba as the leading
    Biotechnology Center in the world.

    RESPONSE FROM DR. FIDEL CASTRO RUZ, PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF CUBA,
    TO THE STATEMENTS MADE BY THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT ON BIOLOGICAL
    WEAPONS.

    Hardly three days ago, someone only too well known to us, Assistant
    Secretary of State Otto Reich was caught out in an embarrassing lie
    when he said that four Cuban planes had landed in the Venezuelan
    capital on April 12, and that nobody knew "what they were doing there,
    what they were carrying, we don't know". Apparently, it was the
    beginning of an anti-Cuba campaign or a vendetta due to the amazing
    failure of the fascist coup he set in motion, or both.

    On Tuesday May 7, when the Ministry of Foreign Affairs challenged him
    publicly, the State Department said that it had no confirmation
    whatsoever, and that it did not want to discuss the subject any more.

    The idea of destroying Cuba, an obsession that has lasted more than 43
    years, has lead and still leads U.S. policy down a tortuous path
    filled with lies, mistakes, failures and crimes. What the US
    government is telling the world today and what it is doing with Cuba
    is perhaps the most grievous and demoralizing contradiction in its
    foreign policy. This great power had never found itself in such a
    compromising position and it has no alternative but to lie, lie and
    lie. And there is no lack of unscrupulous characters in major public
    positions willing to do so, no lack of press spokesmen caught up in
    the continuous and bitter need to right wrongs and explain the
    inexplicable in their bosses' statements.

    Even men like Colin Powell, son of Jamaican immigrants, that despite
    his military training or maybe because of it, is not considered a hawk
    since he knows about war and has seen many men die --a man that many
    Americans even came to look on as a potential presidential candidate--
    has found himself enmeshed in shameful and little ennobling intrigues
    promoted by such characters. He knows better than anyone else how
    inexperienced they are and what little intellectual and political
    worth those people have.

    Whom this new character involved in a sinister maneuver against Cuba
    can deceive? Mr. John Bolton, an Under Secretary of State, none other
    than the one for Arms Control. What are they aiming for with the
    attack launched by this official in an aggressive speech against Cuba
    given at the Heritage Foundation, famous for its ultra-rightwing
    stance?

    His statement, supposedly an analysis of the dangers of terrorism
    threatening the United States, begin by saying: "In addition to Libya
    and Syria, there is a threat coming from another BWC signatory, and
    one that lies just 90 miles from the U.S. mainland-namely, Cuba."

    Then, after the usual name-calling and stupid remarks full of the
    hatred common in such arrogant and misinformed people, Mr. Bolton
    added something all his own:

    "We know that Cuba is collaborating with other state sponsors of
    terror."

    "Castro has repeatedly denounced the U.S. war on terrorism. He
    continues to view terror as a legitimate tactic to further
    revolutionary objectives. Last year, Castro visited Iran, Syria and
    Libya --all designees on the same list of terrorist-sponsoring states.
    At Teheran University, these were his words: 'Iran and Cuba, in
    cooperation with each other, can bring America to its knees. The U.S.
    regime is very weak, and we are witnessing this weakness from close-
    up.'"

    "But Cuba's threat to our security has often been underplayed. An
    official U.S. government report in 1998 concluded that Cuba did not
    represent a significant military threat to the United States or the
    region. It went only so far as to say that, 'Cuba has a limited
    capacity to engage in some military and intelligence activities which
    could pose a danger to U.S. citizens in some circumstances.'"

    Mr. Bolton immediately looked for something to cover up the suspicious
    fact that it had never before occurred to any US government official
    to make such an infamous accusation against Cuba. Mr. Bolton blames
    this weakness on William Cohen, who was the U.S. Defense Secretary
    four years earlier when the criticized report was issued. Mr. Bolton
    made not the slightest mention of the fact that scarcely five months
    and two weeks earlier, on November 19, 2001, he himself made
    absolutely no mention of Cuba in a speech given to the conference of
    the parties to the Convention on Biological Weapons in Geneva when he
    cited many countries that were a source of concern to him as potential
    biological weapons producers. Why this sudden and unexpected change?

    Mr. Bolton's May 6 piece of tabloid journalism ends by saying: "For
    four decades Cuba has maintained a well-developed and sophisticated
    biomedical industry, supported until 1990 by the Soviet Union. This
    industry is one of the most advanced in Latin America, and leads in
    the production of pharmaceuticals and vaccines that are sold
    worldwide. Analysts and Cuban defectors have long cast suspicion on
    the activities conducted in these biomedical facilities.

    "Here is what we now know: The United States believes that Cuba has at
    least a limited offensive biological warfare research-and-development
    effort. Cuba has provided dual-use biotechnology to other rogue
    states. We are concerned that such technology could support BW
    programs in those states. We call on Cuba to cease all BW-applicable
    cooperation with rogue states and to fully comply with all of its
    obligations under the Biological Weapons Convention."

    The international press immediately picked up Mr. Bolton's string of
    Olympic-size lies, which is exactly what he wanted.

    "Washington, May 6 (ANSA). Under Secretary of State John Bolton today
    accused Cuba of helping 'enemy governments' with biological weapons
    programs.

    "Cuba had at least an offensive biological weapons program and could
    be transferring its results to other states hostile to the United
    States', Bolton said.

    "The Under Secretary Bolton spoke to the Heritage Foundation, one of
    the ultraconservative groups in Washington."

    "Washington, May 6 (DPA) The United States today accused Cuba of
    developing offensive biological weapons and of providing information
    about them to states hostile to the United States, and urged President
    Fidel Castro's government to cease this cooperation."

    "Washington, May 6 (REUTERS). On Monday, the United States accused
    three countries -Cuba, Libya and Syria- of trying to develop weapons
    of mass destruction and warned that it would take steps to prevent
    them from supplying these arms to terrorist groups."

    "'States that sponsor terror and pursue weapons of mass destruction
    must stop. States that renounce terror and abandon WMD can become part
    of our effort. But those who do not can expect to become our
    targets.'"

    "Washington, May 6 (EFE) The United States today added Cuba to Syria
    and Libya on the list of countries who are part of the 'axis of evil'
    dedicated to manufacturing weapons of mass destruction, and warned
    that it would take steps to prevent them from supplying such weapons
    to terrorist organizations."

    "Washington, May 6 (NOTIMEX). The United States today included Cuba in
    the so-called 'axis of evil' because it thinks it has the capacity to
    develop biological weapons which are a threat to United States
    security, a greater threat than that from Iraq, Iran and North Korea."

    "Washington, May 6 (AFP) On Monday, the United States warned Cuba
    against any proliferation of biological weapons, urging the Havana
    government to cease providing any kind of biotechnological equipment
    to countries that Washington considers dangerous, such as Iraq and
    Libya."

    The list and the extension of articles and reports on the subject
    would be endless.

    The job is already done! The entire world, especially the American
    public that is constantly bombarded with perfidious lies, has been
    informed and is ready to believe that Cuba is a biological power, that
    it has a program for producing such weapons and that it poses a danger
    to the United States. And as John Bolton, the very distinguished Under
    Secretary of State for Arms Control and International Security has
    said it, we have to believe it.

    However, as the old saying goes: "Lies have short legs". In the United
    States itself some people are astounded and they are beginning to
    figure out the whole game.

    "Washington, May 6 (NOTIMEX). The United States today refused to
    produce the evidence it had claimed to have to back up the accusations
    made against Cuba.

    "Both, the White House and State Department spokesmen said that the
    accusation against Cuba is not based on assumptions but on
    confidential information about the biological and chemical potential
    of the Cuban pharmaceutical industry.

    "This accusation took not only the international community by surprise
    but also members of the United States Congress.

    According to the same dispatch, "political analysts pointed out that
    the accusation against Cuba made by President George W. Bush's
    administration could be part of a White House strategy to find a
    justification for tightening its isolationist policy on Cuba.

    "The statement that Cuba could pose a terrorist threat to the security
    of the United States was made at a time when several proposals to
    relax Washington's Cuba policy are being analyzed on Capital Hill.

    "Nevertheless, political analysts maintain that in view of this and
    bearing in mind that his brother Jeb will be seeking reelection as
    governor of Florida this year, President Bush wants to ingratiate
    himself with the Cuban exile community.

    "Given the fact that more than four decades of economic blockade
    against Cuba have not removed Fidel Castro from power in Havana, the
    only people who want this isolationist policy to remain in effect and
    harder are the vast majority of the Cuban exile community in the
    United States.

    "The possibility of including Cuba as a member of the so-called 'axis
    of evil' with Iraq, Iran and North Korea at the head would make it
    easier for Bush to obtain the Congress backing for increasing instead
    of reducing the economic stranglehold on the Island."

    "Washington, May 6 (AP). "'I think that it will delay us taking new
    steps towards a trade opening', said Graham, chairman of the Senate
    Select Committee on Intelligence. 'Unilateral steps will be most
    affected'."

    "Graham, however, did not hide his amazement at Bolton's accusation.
    He said that in March the Committee he chairs held a secret hearing on
    security related issues and the administration made no mention of
    biological weapons."

    On May 7, when a journalist asked White House spokesman Ari Fleischer:
    "Is there any proof of this, or is this an assumption of the United
    States?" Fleischer replied: "No, it's not an assumption. I assure you
    that Secretary Bolton would not have said it if he did not have good
    cause, reason and fact to say it. That was based on sound analysis,
    and on information that is studied and available to the United States
    government."

    This is a typical reply by someone who is launching an absolutely
    baseless and groundless accusation. The only thing studied carefully
    is lies and deceit. It is certainly a very sad role this spokesman
    has. Furthermore, why should we believe Mr. Bolton?

    Anyone who remembers the fifteen incredible pretexts, known today
    through declassified official documents, that were elaborated at the
    end of 1961 by the high US authorities to undertake a direct military
    attack against Cuba in 1962, would not be surprised by such a sinister
    lie. We demand proof. Let them produce even the tiniest piece of
    evidence! They do not have any, and they cannot have them because they
    simply do not exist. They should not be hiding behind the alleged
    sensitivity of their sources, when there is actually not an atom of
    truth in what they are saying. This very old trick and overly stupid
    argument only serve to demonstrate their little consideration for, and
    low concept of, the American people whose intelligence deserve more
    respect.

    I will also say this: If a Cuban scientist from any of our
    biotechnology institutes had been cooperating with any country in the
    development of biological weapons, or if he or she had tried to create
    them on his or her own initiative, he or she would be immediately
    presented in a court of justice as we would consider it an act of
    treason to the country.

    The Law against Terrorist Acts passed by the National Assembly of
    Cuba, in its Article 10, provides: "The person who manufactures,
    facilitates, sells, transports, sends, introduces in the country or
    keeps in his or her possession, under any form or in any place {...}
    chemical or biological agents, or any other substance from whose
    investigation, design or combination thereof any product can be
    derived that meets the description offered", is liable to sanctions of
    10 to 30 years of imprisonment, life sentence or capital punishment.

    This is really an absolute lie, a treacherous blow against the sale of
    food to Cuba authorized in a Law from the year 2000, which was
    subsequently modified on many occasions through amendments introduced
    by the staunch advocates of the blockade that made it practicably
    impossible to apply it after it had been passed. They are simply
    trying to mislead and dishearten the growing number of Americans who
    are increasingly upset by the most cruel and inhuman measure against
    the Cuban people, which clash with the idealism, and ethics of a
    nation that has, in fact, been deceived for dozens of years with
    regards to Cuba.

    The only truth in Bolton's lie is that Cuba is 90 miles from the
    continental territory of the United States.

    It is a false and manipulated assertion that our country has
    repeatedly denounced the United States war against terrorism. I have
    said, and I stand by it, that the solution to this scourge will not be
    reached through war, which would only serve to breed hatred and
    fanaticism but rather through a sincere and determined cooperation
    among all countries in the world and by building a truly universal
    culture and conscience against terrorism.

    We were the first to put forward this form of cooperation the very
    same day of the tragedy in New York.

    It is a slanderous invention, a fabricated lie, to say that Castro
    considers terror as a legitimate tactic for furthering revolutionary
    objectives. Actually, everybody knows that our revolutionary movement
    never used such methods that do not fit in with our doctrine, our
    principles and our concept of the armed struggle.

    Mr. Bolton, you'd better get your facts right. Don't be misled by the
    fantastic stories told by your dear friends from the CANF. Never were
    the civilian population and innocent people the victims of our
    actions. Our tactic always was to fight against heavily equipped enemy
    units. Presently, you want to call terrorism any armed resistance,
    regardless of the legitimate causes that may justify it. Along that
    line you could end up applying such definition to the struggle of the
    American colonists who rebelled and fought against English domination.
    George Washington and those who after long years of war and enormous
    sacrifices conquered the independence of the United States of America
    were not terrorists.

    Someone has failed you badly, Mr. Bolton, when they told you about my
    speech at the university of Teheran. It was not one speech, but two,
    in two universities and a few remarks at the end of my visit to the
    mausoleum that keep the remains of the Imam Khomeini. I have gone over
    them both in detail. In my remarks to the students in Teheran, there
    is not one single paragraph that resembles the one you dishonestly
    included in your speech at the Heritage Foundation on May 6. I never
    said that "Iran and Cuba in cooperation with each other could bring
    the United States to its knees". I did say, in one of the three
    speeches I made during that visit, that imperialism was bereft of
    ideas that ideas are more powerful than weapons and that one day
    imperialism would crumble. I also said that "the Iranian people with
    heroism and not with weapons defeated the Shah, and this showed the
    power of ideas. Also, there could never be anyone in the world so
    powerful that could not be defeated by ideas."

    Finally, I added: "That is our hope. There is a superpower with
    thousands of nuclear arms, planes, armored ships, aircraft carriers,
    intelligent missiles [...] No matter how many weapons nor how much
    wealth it has, it will not be able to defeat human beings."

    I made not the slightest mention of the use of weapons in that
    struggle. In fact, I said just the opposite. That is what I think,
    that is how I saw it then and that is what I said. I am not in the
    habit of hiding my thoughts or manipulating my words. My three
    speeches in the Iranian capital were broadcast on Cuban radio and
    television. Thus, Mr. Bolton did not discover anything and I do not
    renounce my ideas. I said some other things about doctrines and
    political principles. I have all the tapes and the transcription of
    those speeches. I can prove what I have said.

    It should also be said that when I visited Iran, I had the honor of
    getting to know a great country with a culture that goes back
    thousands of years, a country with deep religious beliefs and a great
    spiritual strength; a country wanting to eradicate poverty, fighting
    against drug trafficking and other such plagues, determined to bring
    education, health, employment and well being to more than 60 million
    people. Not one of the many leaders I talked to said anything to me
    about biological weapons or any other kind of weapon.

    What a great difference I could perceive between that culture and
    customs with that of the West. But, I did not only visit that country,
    I also visited Algeria, Malaysia, Qatar, Syria and Libya where they
    showed me how Ghadafi's family home had been destroyed and spoke about
    the loss of human life caused by the F-16 brutal air raid, including a
    little girl.

    Thousands of years of history accumulate in that part of the world,
    which must not be destroyed nor their people annihilated. Billions of
    people in the world have seen with deep indignation the televised
    images of the terrible events in Palestine.

    Apparently, when Mr. Bolton alluded to my speech in Teheran, he
    irresponsibly and dishonestly mixed excerpts of what I had said with
    fragments and statements of what other people said to foreign press
    agencies, and information from wire service cables given by someone
    else or things the speech writer invented. My clear, precise,
    transparent statements can be found in the speeches I have mentioned
    and in the press communiqué of May 10, 2001 issued by both delegations
    where, by the way, the Cuban position against terrorism is described
    in point 6 of the agreed document that literally reads:

    "While condemning the phenomenon of terrorism in all its forms,
    especially state terrorism, the two parties agreed to cooperate
    closely at a bilateral and international level to fight against and
    eliminate this terrible phenomenon, to cooperate in the fight against
    international organized crime and drug trafficking, being always
    mindful of the cardinal principles of international law, and
    particularly those of sovereignty and non-interference in the internal
    affairs of states."

    This statement was issued 127 days before September 11.

    I should thank Mr. Bolton for his praise of our pharmaceutical
    industry, one of the most advanced in Latin America, which "leads in
    the production of pharmaceuticals and vaccines that are sold
    worldwide", according to his own words. We only wish it was more
    advanced. Even his country could benefit from some of its discoveries,
    but they would not allow it. However, he lies shamelessly when he
    tells the American and world public opinion that the United States
    believes that Cuba has at least a limited offensive biological warfare
    research and development effort. This statement is as false as it is
    grave.

    Our researchers and doctors are educated with an elevated concept of
    solidarity and ethics. Millions of people in the world can testify to
    that. They work for the well being and health of human beings. For 40
    years, 34,307 Cuban medical doctors and health workers have worked
    free of charge in a large number of poor countries saving the lives
    and safeguarding the health of millions of people. Nobody in the world
    could beat them in their dedication and their willingness to make
    sacrifices.

    At this very moment, 2,671 of them are working in isolated and
    inhospitable places in Latin America, the Caribbean and Africa. It
    would be very difficult to persuade these men and women to produce
    viruses and bacteria to kill children, women, old people or the people
    of any country. The pride and high moral standards of our people,
    which have led them to stand firm against 43 years of attacks and
    blockade, rests on the rationality of a policy that does not
    contradict their ethics and principles.

    Thirty nine thousand and eight hundred youths coming from more than
    120 Third World countries have graduated in Cuba from 33 technical and
    university specialties. Even under the conditions prevailing in the
    special period, which resulted from the cruel blockade by the United
    States, 8,053 youths from Latin America, the Caribbean and Africa are
    studying medicine in our country free of charge, a career that costs
    more than $200 thousand in the United States.

    In spite of Bolton's lies and those of many others like him, Cuba
    enjoys great prestige because of the health services it has provided
    to humanity. That is, for its true fight against another kind of
    terrorism that many chose to ignore: the diseases that kill more than
    11 million children every year, whose lives could be saved were it not
    for the selfish attitude of the industrialized world. An incalculable
    number of people survive or recover their health thanks to the
    selfless work of the doctors who come from a poor small country and
    treat them with vaccines and preventive methods or therapies developed
    by Cuba.

    We would like to know if the U.S. government is doing something
    similar or if it would be prepared to cooperate with such programs for
    the benefit of those that it euphemistically describes as emerging
    countries, as we have not excluded any economically developed nation
    from our programs.

    We have even offered hundreds of scholarships to American youngsters
    who don't have the money to study medicine in their country, to come
    study in the Latin American School of Medical Sciences.

    We have even offered hundreds of scholarships to study in the Latin
    American School of Medical Sciences to U.S. youngsters who don't have
    the money to study medicine in their country.

    Cuban children are vaccinated against 13 diseases and enjoy wonderful
    health. The infant mortality rate for every thousand live births is
    lower than that of the United States itself. Medical care is
    guaranteed to one hundred percent of the population absolutely free of
    charge. Unfortunately in the United States, with a population of over
    280 million, 16 percent of the people do not have medical insurance,
    and that includes more than 10 million children. In such an immensely
    rich and scientifically advanced country where hundreds of thousands
    of people die every year for these reasons, who is to blame? Who kills
    these people? Who denounce such facts? How can they invent, what gives
    them the moral right to claim from over there, and who is going to
    believe their heinous slander that we Cubans are developing biological
    warfare programs?

    On the other hand, never in the 43 years of the Revolution's history
    has anyone in our country launched or taken part in a terrorist act
    against the United States from our territory. Not one drop of US blood
    has been shed nor has any US company lost a single screw due to
    terrorist acts originated in Cuba.

    Those who in the United States are accusing our country of terrorism,
    or of supporting or sponsoring terrorism, cannot say that about Cuba.
    Thousands of our compatriots have died and tens of thousands of acts
    of sabotage have been recorded as part of terrorist actions and US
    aggression against Cuba. Can their spokesmen deny these facts? I am
    not referring to the American people; I am referring to their
    government. The overriding question of the powers given to U.S.
    government officials to effectuate out of court executions and to kill
    people anywhere in the world has not even been clarified. I have
    personally often been the target of these sinister plans. That was how
    they operated in the past. Have they or haven't they gone back to such
    disgusting methods? Why doesn't Mr. Bolton tell us a little bit about
    that subject?

    As for weapons of mass destruction, Cuba's policy has been
    irreproachable. No one has ever produced a single piece of evidence
    that any program for developing nuclear, chemical or biological
    weapons has been set up in our country. Those who have no sense of
    ethics, or who fail to understand that the government of Cuba abides
    by truth and transparency, might at least understand that it would
    have been utterly stupid to behave in any other way. Any such program
    would lead the economy of any small country to bankruptcy. Cuba would
    never have been able to transport such weapons. Moreover, it would be
    a mistake to use them in battle against an enemy that has a thousand
    times more of those weapons and that would be only to happy to find an
    excuse to use them.

    >From a political point of view, we are living in an era when there are

    and there will be weapons much more powerful that any produced through
    technology, namely: the weapons of morality, reason and ideas; with
    them no country is weak but without them no nation is powerful.
    Adherence to such a maxim requires exceptionally strong convictions,
    steel nerves and talent. They should know by now that, as far as the
    Cuban people is concerned, the ideals that inspire freedom, dignity,
    love of one's homeland, its identity, its culture and the strictest
    sense of justice that human beings can conceive of are more valuable
    than anything on Earth. These are not weapons of mass destruction, but
    rather weapons of mass moral defense, and we are willing to fight and
    die for them.

    I understand that for a man like Bolton, intoxicated with the
    military, economic and technological might of the superpower on whose
    behalf he speaks, it might not be easy to understand these things.
    However, it would be a good idea if he tried.

    Cuba has absolutely nothing to hide. On the contrary, it is proud of
    its development in the biomedical research field.

    I shall offer a brief historical summary.

    1979: the Genetic Engineering Group was set up in the National Center
    for Scientific research.

    1981: the first biotechnology scientific-productive institution
    devoted to producing alpha and beta interferon was founded.

    The medical-pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry program: this
    came into being as a result of the scientific, economic and social
    development the country had achieved.

    Cuba met the standards for inspection and certification by
    international agencies and by the national regulatory agencies of
    those countries with which it was to have trading relations.

    The major part of the investment program is developed between 1990 and
    1997. It would comprise 40 facilities.

    A completely humanitarian industry is developed to research and
    produce medicines for preventing disease and saving lives, as well as
    to increase food production.

    The purchase of technological equipment used worldwide from commercial
    companies with an international reputation.

    Abiding by agreements entered by Cuba in compliance with the
    Convention on Biological and Toxin Weapons, the Cuban biotechnology
    industry, the health system and the civil defense organizations submit
    an annual report to the United Nations on confidence building
    measures.

    Many regulatory agencies from various countries have visited Cuban
    productive biotechnology facilities as a prerequisite for marketing
    our products in their countries.

    In the next few years, 50 new products will come on to the market.
    These include biopharmaceuticals, vaccines and diagnosis kits.

    Our country already has a stock of intellectual property consisting of
    more than 150 inventions and over 500 patents registered abroad. The
    results of scientific research are published in the most important
    international journals.

    1990: Our products began to be exported and exports have increased
    every year since then.

    1992: Cuba signed the Convention on Biological Diversity ratified in
    1994.

    1995: landmark forms of marketing are introduced: technology
    transfers, at-risk development contracts with foreign companies, and
    production-commercial partnerships.

    Today, products and technology of the Cuban biotechnology industry are
    available in more than 40 countries

    Agreements for Technology transfers or negotiations are currently
    underway with 14 countries:

    India: 4 transfers, 4 products

    China: 2 transfers, 4 products.

    Brazil: 2 transfers, 2 products.

    Egypt: 4 transfers, I product under negotiation.

    Malaysia: 6 transfers.

    Iran: 4 transfers, 4 products.

    Russia: 1 transfer, 1 product.

    South Africa: 1 transfer, 1 product.

    Tunisia: 1 transfer, 1 product.

    Algeria: 1 transfer, 3 products.

    Great Britain-Belgium: 1 transfer, 1 product.

    Venezuela: 1 transfer, 2 products under negotiation.

    Mexico: 1 transfer, 1 product

    New trade and production negotiations are underway with 10 countries:

    Malaysia, Holland, Spain, Brazil, Venezuela, Vietnam, Mexico, Ukraine,
    Germany and the United States (in this case negotiations over the use
    of the Cuban anti-meningitis vaccine and the first contacts for
    possible clinical trials with the EGF vaccine for lung cancer).

    Cuban biotechnology centers have already registered:

    24 products, both biopharmaceuticals and vaccines.

    49 cutting edge generic medicine.

    5 products for treating AIDS.

    15 new medical equipment

    24 diagnosis systems.

    And moving on from these results, scientific research is now focusing
    on 60 projects.

    Among the most significant new products that scientific researchers
    try to obtain are the following:

    29 new vaccines including 8 cancer vaccines, 4 of which are in the
    clinical trial stage not only in Cuba but also in Canada, Argentina
    and England.

    21 innovative products for treating cancer plus the 28 cytostatics
    already known, which a new plant will begin producing.

    Cuban biotechnology centers have filed for patents on 150 inventions
    that would bring our total number of patents registered to 505. Four
    of these patents have been awarded the Medal of the World Intellectual
    Property Organization.

    Countless politicians, scientists and businesspeople have visited
    Cuban biotechnology institutes. In the year 2000, 1520 people visited
    just one of the most important centers; 484 of them came from the
    United States.

    The doors of our research centers are opened to any international
    institution.

    In an official public note, Cuba has proposed three important draft
    agreements to the United States, which are more beneficial for the
    United States than they are for Cuba, given the extent of the problems
    in each of the two countries. One, a draft agreement on immigration
    issues; two, a draft cooperation agreement to fight illegal
    trafficking in narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances; three, a
    draft bilateral cooperation program to fight terrorism. We have not
    received any reply whatsoever. Perhaps their reply is to accuse us of
    manufacturing biological weapons? Who do they think they can
    intimidate with that?

    We are urged to stop any kind of cooperation applicable to biological
    weapons with "rogue" states and to meet all our obligations under the
    Convention on Biological and Toxin Weapons. What is the international
    organization that decides whether a country is or is not a rogue
    state? What is the rule of the Convention on Biological Weapons that
    Cuba has violated? Is it perhaps that on top of the criminal blockade
    they are now trying to prevent us from marketing our medicines and
    using our most wholesome and noblest products, the fruit of the talent
    of our scientists, to place them at the service of any person's health
    anywhere in the world? Could it be that the U.S. government wants to
    have a bilateral agreement in addition to those Cuba has proposed,
    namely, cooperation in the struggle against the production of
    biological weapons? Say so, then. We would be willing to include it on
    our list of projects pending a reply.

    We are sorry, Mr. Bolton. After the lies, slanders, tales and insults
    you launched in your May 6 speech, we are sorry to tell you that you
    lack any morale to make exhortations to Cuba on this subject and even
    less to make any demand at all using a threatening tone and language.
    Neither can you pretend to give Cuba any lesson in politics or ethics.

    Anyway, you and your government could draw inspiration from Cuba's
    decent and honorable behavior. I can assure you that we will charge
    absolutely nothing for this technology transfer.

    Friday, May 10, 2002

> [...]

    > > Iran's ambassador to the International Atomic Energy Agency, Ali
    > > Asghar Soltanieh, said the purpose of the tour was to assure the world
    > > that Iran's program was peaceful.

    > > "In fact we have representatives from all over the world," Mr
    > > Soltanieh said. "We decided to have them come here and see for
    > > themselves," he said.

    > > He made a point of emphasising the IAEA surveillance cameras at
    > > Isfahan.

    > > Photographers and video camera operators were not allowed to take
    > > pictures in the outside area of the compound.

    > > Uranium ore is converted into yellowcake and gas at Isfahan. The gas
    > > is transferred to the more sophisticated plant at Natanz, where it
    > > could be enriched with centrifuges.

    > > Reporters at the weekend passed the Natanz site but were not allowed
    > > inside, where Iran recently said it was installing 3000 centrifuges.

    , Feb 4, 2007
  5. Bob Kolker Guest

    Frank Arthur wrote:

    > Suicide truck bomber kills at least 130 in Baghdad
    > By Tina Susman, Times Staff Writer
    > 11:23 AM PST, February 3, 2007

    The sound of the exploding bomb is the Muslim Call to Prayer.

    Allah hu'Akbar.

    Bob Kolker

    Bob Kolker, Feb 5, 2007