irb> require 'fcgi.so' => 'no such file to load' error

DocPneumo

5th try

I submitted a shorter version of this yesterday but it does not seem to
have ever shown up.

I have a fresh install of Ruby, RubyGems, FastCGI and ruby-fcgi (gem
install fcgi). I've done this under fc4 & fc5. Ruby & FastCGI were
compiled from source.
RubyGems was installed via setup.rb.

irb> require 'fcgi.so' gives a 'no such file to load' error.
Searching for the file locates it at:
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fcgi-0.8.7/lib/fcgi.so
Trying a require to the absolute path:
irb> require '/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fcgi-0.8.7/lib/fcgi.so' =>
true

I'd rather not have to use require '<path_to_fcgi>/fcgi.so' whenever I
need to require 'fcgi.so'. Is there any way to permanently add
path_to_fcgi.so to Ruby's loadpath? I've added the path to
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/fcgi.conf without joy.

Is there a glitch in the way this gem has been installed?
I see that :
irb> require 'mysql' => true
but
irb> require 'net-ssh' and require 'chronic' among others all give the
'no such file to load' error.
each of these was loaded with 'gem install xxx' apparently without
hitch. Each seems to work when used within my rails apps. I do not
really have a handle on how the gem install mechanism and associated
load paths work. Perhaps all is ok, but at least one author, James
Duncan Davidson, uses testing with irb> require 'fcgi.so' to assure a
correct install of fcgi.so.

Oh, one last thing: irb> puts $LOADPATH => nil

Vincent Fourmond

DocPneumo said:
5th try

I submitted a shorter version of this yesterday but it does not seem to
have ever shown up.

I have a fresh install of Ruby, RubyGems, FastCGI and ruby-fcgi (gem
install fcgi). I've done this under fc4 & fc5. Ruby & FastCGI were
compiled from source.
RubyGems was installed via setup.rb.

irb> require 'fcgi.so' gives a 'no such file to load' error.
Searching for the file locates it at:
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fcgi-0.8.7/lib/fcgi.so
Trying a require to the absolute path:
irb> require '/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fcgi-0.8.7/lib/fcgi.so' =>
true

Just a stupid idea: have you tried require 'fcgi' ?

Cheers,

Vince

DocPneumo

Vincent said:
Just a stupid idea: have you tried require 'fcgi' ?

Cheers,

Vince

Yes. I tried that as well. Same response. In addition, I have added
'export RUBYOPT=rubygems' to ~/.bash_profile. This was recommended in a
discussion of the mechanics of RubyGems I found on the web.

DocPneumo

Michael said:
sorry, but this should read

export RUBYOPT=-rubygems

http://rubygems.org/read/chapter/3#page70 for more information

^manveru

Thanks. That is the correct reference for my RUBYOPT addition to
~/.bashrc. The manual shows the line exactly as I have it: 'export
RUBYOPT=rubygems' without the '-'. Is that a typo in the manual? In any
event, making the change you suggested had no effect on the response
to"require 'fcgi.so'" in irb. (I did restart irb to allow the
environment change to be seen. I am running irb as the correct user,
not as root, Running irb as root has the same effect, however.)