IRC sockets and queries

Jay

ok have this program and i set a socket 2 connect to the server...so i
can chat on the channels and stuff. my question is how would i go about
set a socket directly 2 an individual query?

my program is right here...
http://h1.ripway.com/jay001/CopyofPyIRCnMo.txt

BTW, im trying to set up a connection between IMServ and my computer
and if you dont know wat IMserv is then please follow..
http://www.zevils.com/linux/imirc/ which is bascially a gateway between
AIM and IRC. so, this IMServ creates a query called IMServ where u give
it commands such as signon and stuff. my prog can only connect to the
host the is hosting IMserv and after you are conected to the IMServ
query... nothing else is transmited to the hosting channel or server...
just the query called IMServ...

Once again, my question is how to create a socket directly to a IRC
query...?

Heiko Wundram

Jay said:
ok have this program and i set a socket 2 connect to the server...so i
can chat on the channels and stuff. my question is how would i go about
set a socket directly 2 an individual query?

Don't take this the hard way, but this question doesn't make sense, and your
source code does neither. It's riddled with inconsistencies and errors, and
I can only barely grasp the fundamental concept behind it...

Anyway, before taking on a project of this size I'd recommend you to do
something smaller in Python and get yourself aquainted with the language
(and maybe programming in general). Python is a language with a shallow
learning curve, but still you must master several things such as
classes/instances/everything is an object/docstrings are string before
being able to programm successfully.

Why not start with the tutorial at www.python.org and work your way up from
there?

--- Heiko.

David Wahler

Jay said:
ok have this program and i set a socket 2 connect to the server...so i
can chat on the channels and stuff. my question is how would i go about
set a socket directly 2 an individual query?

The last part of this paragraph is completely incomprehensible.

Ah, thank you. Now I can see what you're trying to accomplish:
if sys.platform == 'linux':
print "Cant run on a gay linux box!"
print "Get windows! XP or new... Vista!"
sys.exit

Not only is this obnoxious, it doesn't even work.
def dccpopuper(self):
"""Kill everyone with 30 pop ups requesting a dcc chat"""
try:
for number in range(31):
self.irc.send("DCC CHAT" + self.CHANNEL+"\r\n")
irc.generateNICK()
time.sleep(5)
print number*10
except:
print "I know u want 2 kill them but connect first"

Not only is this _extremely_ obnoxious, but it doesn't even work. Don't
expect any help from me.

-- David

Heiko Wundram

David said:
<snip>
Not only is this obnoxious, it doesn't even work.
<snip>
Not only is this _extremely_ obnoxious, but it doesn't even work. Don't
expect any help from me.
<snip>

Thanks for pointing that out (I must've missed those two examples when I
read the code). And I even pointed him in a direction...

apologetically-y'rs,
--- Heiko.

Jay

LMFAO! those were jokes for my friends. lol.and btw the dccpoper and
bot and crap were jokes that i made up for my friends on the #python
channel in freenode... It was a joke.Anyway.. My bad, its ok if u dont
want to help... no one likes me on this group anyway... u guys just
joined the crowd... btw, wat do u mean
get yourself aquainted with the language
(and maybe programming in general).<

Dude, why do u think im not? ive programmed many small and many big
programs, if this is a noob question then my bad, ive asked many ppl
and they cant answer me and this was my last resort since i knew i
would get this kind of bullshit.
I know most of the language fairly and im tired of coming on here and
always getting pointed to python tutorials, its actually pretty
annying, if you dont have a liable answer then could u please not post
then, it only makes sense. Instead of telling someone that their dumb
and that u dont know python, how about just help answering the
question. But watever, i dont know y but this whole group just hates
me... If anyone has a answer then please feel free to post(unlikely).
But thx anyway..

Heiko Wundram

Heiko said:
Yeah, me too. How lame do you think we are?!

I won't feed the trolls... I won't feed the trolls... I won't feed the
trolls... I won't feed the trolls...

--- Heiko.

Thomas Wouters

LMFAO! those were jokes for my friends. lol.and btw the dccpoper and
bot and crap were jokes that i made up for my friends on the #python
channel in freenode... It was a joke.

Yet no one on the channel thought it was funny. It got you kicked and
banned for a while too, but you probably were AFK at the time. Since you
obviously didn't get the message that way, let me try here: stop doing
it, thanks.