IronPython 0.7 released!

Discussion in 'Python' started by James, Mar 23, 2005.

  1. James

    James Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. James

    James Guest

    Fran├žois Pinard emailed me that my posting of the link with no
    explanation appeared rude.

    So here is a some information.

    IronPython is a Python implementation targeting the .NET and Mono
    platforms from the same person who brought us Jython, Jim Hugunin. MS
    hired Jim since the first release (0.6) and this is the first and
    eagerly awaited release since then.

    Now if I hear something about the state of StarKiller, it would make my
    day complete :).

    >From the release....

    IronPython is the code name of the early pre-alpha preview release of
    the new Implementation Running on .NET of the Python programming
    language. The .NET Framework is a managed programming model for
    Windows; Microsoft standardized part of it in ECMA several years ago
    as the Common Language Infrastructure and C# Language Specification
    standards.

    IronPython is fast - up to 1.8x faster than Python-2.4 on the standard
    pystone benchmark. It supports an interactive interpreter with fully
    dynamic compilation. It is well integrated with the rest of the
    framework and makes all .NET libraries easily available to Python
    programmers.

    IronPython 0.7 is a pre-alpha release. It is suitable for experimenting
    and playing with; however, a large amount of testing, packaging and
    library development remains to be done before a production-quality
    IronPython-1.0. We want to be sure to release IronPython in this early
    state in order to encourage feedback and discussion in the community of
    IronPython's features and designs as early as possible so that we can
    incorporate that into the 1.0 design.

    Also see
    Boo
    Boo is a new object oriented statically typed programming language for
    the Common Language Infrastructure with a python inspired syntax and a
    special focus on language and compiler extensibility.
    http://boo.codehaus.org/

    Python for .NET
    Python for .NET is a near-seamless integration of the Python runtime
    with the .NET Common Language Runtime (CLR). It lets you script and
    build applications in Python, using CLR services and components written
    in any language that targets the CLR (C#, Managed C++, VB.NET, etc.).
    www.zope.org/Members/Brian/PythonNet

    James.
    James, Mar 23, 2005

  3. Hi !

    I am curious :

    1) I can't download the file ("error in the GotDotNet system").
    2) On http://ironpython.com, there are no new version

    @-salutations
    --
    Michel Claveau
    Do Re Mi chel La Si Do, Mar 23, 2005
  4. James

    Ville Vainio Guest

    Ville Vainio, Mar 23, 2005
  5. James

    Robin Becker Guest

    Do Re Mi chel La Si Do wrote:
    > Hi !
    >

    > I am curious :
    >
    > 1) I can't download the file ("error in the GotDotNet system").
    > 2) On http://ironpython.com, there are no new version

    I'm also a bit puzzled that www.ironpython.com has no mention of this
    release.
    Curious that J Hugunin didn't announce it himself.
    --
    Robin Becker
    Robin Becker, Mar 23, 2005
  6. Robin Becker wrote:

    > Do Re Mi chel La Si Do wrote:
    >> Hi !
    >>

    >> I am curious :
    >>
    >> 1) I can't download the file ("error in the GotDotNet system").
    >> 2) On http://ironpython.com, there are no new version
    >>

    > I'm also a bit puzzled that www.ironpython.com has no mention of this
    > release.
    > Curious that J Hugunin didn't announce it himself.

    Jim Hugunin announced it himself in a keynote at PyCon. You can read a lot
    about it on Python centric blogs - just one example:
    http://www.postneo.com/2005/03/23/keynote-ironpython

    --
    Benjamin Niemann
    Email: pink at odahoda dot de
    Benjamin Niemann, Mar 23, 2005
  7. James

    Robin Becker Guest

    Benjamin Niemann wrote:
    > Robin Becker wrote:

    >>I'm also a bit puzzled that www.ironpython.com has no mention of this
    >>release.
    >>Curious that J Hugunin didn't announce it himself.

    > Jim Hugunin announced it himself in a keynote at PyCon. You can read a lot
    > about it on Python centric blogs - just one example:
    > http://www.postneo.com/2005/03/23/keynote-ironpython

    well that's nice, but I don't do blogs and certainly don't do M$
    Passport logins which it seems the gotdotnet site requires.

    --
    Robin Becker
    Robin Becker, Mar 23, 2005
  8. Luis M. Gonzalez, Mar 24, 2005
  9. James

    Ville Vainio Guest

    Robin> well that's nice, but I don't do blogs and certainly don't

    You don't need to "do" much - just go to planetpython.org

    --
    Ville Vainio http://tinyurl.com/2prnb
    Ville Vainio, Mar 24, 2005
  10. Robin Becker <> writes:

    > Benjamin Niemann wrote:
    >> Robin Becker wrote:

    >>>I'm also a bit puzzled that www.ironpython.com has no mention of this
    >>>release.
    >>>Curious that J Hugunin didn't announce it himself.

    >> Jim Hugunin announced it himself in a keynote at PyCon. You can read
    >> a lot
    >> about it on Python centric blogs - just one example:
    >> http://www.postneo.com/2005/03/23/keynote-ironpython
    >>

    > well that's nice, but I don't do blogs and certainly don't do M$
    > Passport logins which it seems the gotdotnet site requires.

    Robin - we're too old for blogs ;-)

    But I could download the thingie with Mozilla without logging in into
    somewhere - although the bug tracker seems to require login.

    Thomas
    Thomas Heller, Mar 24, 2005
  11. James

    Robin Becker Guest

    Thomas Heller wrote:
    >>well that's nice, but I don't do blogs and certainly don't do M$
    >>Passport logins which it seems the gotdotnet site requires.

    > Robin - we're too old for blogs ;-)
    >
    > But I could download the thingie with Mozilla without logging in into
    > somewhere - although the bug tracker seems to require login.
    >
    > Thomas

    yes, but the simple download is a bit bare, I was hoping to find out
    more and then the passport login seems to come into play. Is there no
    other homepage somewhere? I assumed wsa www.ironpython.com, but that
    seems a bit out of date now. The mailing list seems to go to end of
    February so was looking for some recent back and forth.
    --
    Robin Becker
    Robin Becker, Mar 24, 2005
  12. James

    Robin Becker Guest

    Luis M. Gonzalez wrote:
    > James wrote:
    >
    > http://www.gotdotnet.com/workspaces/workspace.aspx?id=ad7acff7-ab1e-4bcb-99c0-57ac5a3a9742
    >
    > This is what I get when I follow this link:
    > "Operational Troubleshooting in Progress"
    >
    > I've been visiting ironpython's site all day long searching for news
    > but nothing...
    > Has anyone managed to download the new release?
    > If so please, would you email it to me at luismgz at gmail.com ??

    I managed by clicking on the gotdotnet link and got a zip file OK.

    --
    Robin Becker
    Robin Becker, Mar 24, 2005
  13. James

    Robert Kern Guest

    Robin Becker wrote:

    > yes, but the simple download is a bit bare, I was hoping to find out
    > more and then the passport login seems to come into play. Is there no
    > other homepage somewhere? I assumed wsa www.ironpython.com, but that
    > seems a bit out of date now. The mailing list seems to go to end of
    > February so was looking for some recent back and forth.

    Jim has a predilection towards keeping mum for a while so he can make
    big announcements at his conference talks. Once you know that about his
    character, the rest falls into place.

    --
    Robert Kern

    -- Richard Harter
    Robert Kern, Mar 24, 2005
  14. James

    Robin Becker Guest

    Robert Kern wrote:
    > Robin Becker wrote:
    >
    >> yes, but the simple download is a bit bare, I was hoping to find out
    >> more and then the passport login seems to come into play. Is there no
    >> other homepage somewhere? I assumed wsa www.ironpython.com, but that
    >> seems a bit out of date now. The mailing list seems to go to end of
    >> February so was looking for some recent back and forth.

    > Jim has a predilection towards keeping mum for a while so he can make
    > big announcements at his conference talks. Once you know that about his
    > character, the rest falls into place.

    apparently he announced at 1800 PST on the list, but I note he's
    directing bug reports to the gotdotnet site :(

    I just have this thing about M$ and passport etc etc
    --
    Robin Becker
    Robin Becker, Mar 24, 2005
  15. James

    Josef Meile Guest

    > well that's nice, but I don't do blogs and certainly don't do M$
    > Passport logins which it seems the gotdotnet site requires.

    I agree, even for reading the FAQ and the Readme you need a password :-(
    Josef Meile, Mar 24, 2005
  16. Ville Vainio wrote:

    > Robin> well that's nice, but I don't do blogs and certainly don't
    >
    > You don't need to "do" much - just go to planetpython.org

    Or check out the Daily Python URL (http://www.pythonware.com/daily/) which
    has a pretty high signal to noise ratio.

    --
    Benjamin Niemann
    Email: pink at odahoda dot de
    Benjamin Niemann, Mar 24, 2005
  17. James

    Thomas Gagne Guest

    Thomas Gagne, Apr 5, 2005
  18. James

    Harry George Guest

    Thomas Gagne <> writes:

    > Does the Python community think Microsoft's embrace is a good or bad thing?
    >
    > James wrote:
    > > http://www.gotdotnet.com/workspaces/workspace.aspx?id=ad7acff7-ab1e-4bcb-99c0-57ac5a3a9742

    "Please refer to uploaded documentation for full text of the Shared
    Source License for IronPython" says it all.

    Shared Source is an abomination, complete with the risk of
    cross-contaminating true OSS projects. I wouldn't voluntarily use the
    thing and I certainly wouldn't look at the source code.

    --

    6-6M21 BCA CompArch Design Engineering
    Phone: (425) 294-4718
    Harry George, Apr 5, 2005
  19. James

    Tim Peters Guest

    [Thomas Gagne]
    > Does the Python community think Microsoft's embrace is a good or bad thing?

    All things in this world unfold exactly according to Guido's secret
    Master Plan. So it depends on whether you think Guido is good or bad.
    Members of the Python community are required to think Guido is good.
    Therefore all things that happen in this world are good.

    I know, it takes a bit of practice to truly believe that <wink>.

    not-mentioning-that-i-don't-feel-particularly-embraced-yet-ly y'rs - tim
    Tim Peters, Apr 5, 2005
  20. Hi All--

    Tim Peters wrote:

    > not-mentioning-that-i-don't-feel-particularly-embraced-yet-ly y'rs - tim

    Don't worry, Tim. You will.

    <it-only-takes-a-little-groupthink-exercise>-ly y'rs,
    Ivan

    Meta: <1984-in-what-base-was-that?>-ly y'rs,
    Ivan
    Ivan Van Laningham
    God N Locomotive Works
    http://www.andi-holmes.com/