IronPython 0.9 Released

Dennis Lee Bieber

So, one has to uninstall their stable .NET Framework to install a beta .NET Framework to try out a beta release of a new Python? Would this not be of concern to folks who actually build ontop of .NET (and want to be sure their current code / applications / tools work)?

It is really all or none with MS, isn't it? If the language/application is not ready for prime time, why would someone commit to beta code and a beta framework upon which other applications depend?
I've got both 1.1 and 2.0 on this machine... Note that the
warning applies to /language/: as in English or French... You can not
install French if you have an English version installed.

could ildg

Why is iron python runs so fast but jython runs so slow while C# and
java seem very much the same?

Oops. Nevermind.

[like the old Saturday Night Live]

From: "EP" <[email protected]>
To: (e-mail address removed)
Date: Thu, Aug-4-2005 10:09 PM
Subject: Re: IronPython 0.9 Released

"Luis M. Gonzalez" Announced:

MS website says:

"""System Requirements

* Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003; Windows XP

You must install the .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package
Beta 2 prior to installing IronPython."""

And

"""Important: You cannot install two different language versions of the
.NET Framework on the same machine. Attempting to install a second
language version of the .NET Framework will cause the following error to
appear: "Setup cannot install Microsoft .NET Framework because another
version of the product is already installed." If you are targeting a
non-English platform or if you wish to view .NET Framework resources in a
different language, you must download the appropriate language version
of the .NET Framework language pack."""

So, one has to uninstall their stable .NET Framework to install a beta
.NET Framework to try out a beta release of a new Python? Would this
not be of concern to folks who actually build ontop of .NET (and want to
be sure their current code / applications / tools work)?

It is really all or none with MS, isn't it? If the
language/application is not ready for prime time, why would someone commit to beta code
and a beta framework upon which other applications depend?

I may have the wrong perspective on all this, but it really befuddles
me.

[Bring on PyPy]

EP

Oops. Nevermind.

[like the old Saturday Night Live]

EP

I've got both 1.1 and 2.0 on this machine... Note that the
warning applies to /language/: as in English or French... You can not
install French if you have an English version installed.

yes, my apologies to all things Iron and or Python.

"language" and "version" can be confusing if one stays up late without coffee, or perhaps if one has not been debugging their English code properly.

Al Christians

EP said:
yes, my apologies to all things Iron and or Python.

"language" and "version" can be confusing if one stays up late without coffee, or perhaps if one has not been debugging their English code properly.

Still, it's a bit of a PITB to me that it says XP and not Win2000.

Al

Luis M. Gonzalez

could said:
Why is iron python runs so fast but jython runs so slow while C# and
java seem very much the same?

I've been playing with Ironpython since its first release and, in my
experience, it is not faster than Cpython, although this is what they
claim.
Anyway, it is in alpha stage so lets wait until it's mature...