From: (e-mail address removed) [mailto:[email protected]] On
Behalf Of Lloyd Linklater
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 5:15 PM
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: IronRuby
=20
I have heard disturbing things about IronRuby. The short version is
that MS wants to get into the open source arena as that seems to be
their biggest competition, but not in the way that those already there
are. I heard that they want to change the rules for open source to
insinuate themselves everywhere. I read their new version of the open
source agreement that says that if you copy the smallest bit from = their
code that you MUST include the entire MS disclaimer and sundry stuff.

The IronRuby license:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/sharedsource/licensingbasics/permissiv=
elicense.mspx

That link can be found on IronRuby's Rubyforge project page =
(ironruby.rubyforge.org).

In short: No. MS even submitted the Permissive License for review by the =
OSI (self-appointed watchdog over OSS licenses).
Also, I heard that they are going to add windows specific calls so = that
the user could "optimize" his program with the "optional" calls. This
is what they did with java and Sun was outraged, sued and won. Now, = MS
came out with a more or less windows specific java in the form of C#.

Seems somebody misunderstood something a long the line (or listened to =
FUD spread by Google): IronRuby will do the same thing for .NET as JRuby =
does for Java: include an interface to the runtime/VM used.

In a sense, you'll be locked into a runtime. But only if you use the =
code of that runtime.

You can go ahead, and grab IronRuby from Rubyforge and build it =
yourself, and take a look.
Are they going to do this with ruby? If so, will we be forced to = write
windows ruby just to have it cross platform compatible?

Huh? Will JRuby and Matz' Ruby suddenly disappear when IronRuby is =
finalized?
Has anyone else been reading these things?

Not me.

Gregory Seidman

I have heard disturbing things about IronRuby. The short version is
that MS wants to get into the open source arena as that seems to be
their biggest competition, but not in the way that those already there
are. I heard that they want to change the rules for open source to
insinuate themselves everywhere. I read their new version of the open
source agreement that says that if you copy the smallest bit from their
code that you MUST include the entire MS disclaimer and sundry stuff.

Blah blah blah. If you don't like it, don't use it.
Also, I heard that they are going to add windows specific calls so that
the user could "optimize" his program with the "optional" calls. This
is what they did with java and Sun was outraged, sued and won. Now, MS
came out with a more or less windows specific java in the form of C#.

Oh noes! You mean I might be able to integrate with the entire .NET
platform in which IronRuby runs? I could make calls to various .NET
libraries that aren't available on other (read: non-.NET rather than
non-Windows, given that various .NET VMs/runtimes are available for various
operating systems) platforms? Truly, that would be a tragedy. Oh, yeah,
unless that's what I was trying to do in the first place. And if it isn't,
I don't have to use IronRuby.
Are they going to do this with ruby? If so, will we be forced to write
windows ruby just to have it cross platform compatible?

What are you smoking? No one's forcing you to do anything. There are
several implementations of Ruby compilers/VMs/interpreters/runtimes,
including YARV, MRI, Rubinius, Cardinal, JRuby, and IronRuby. Some are more
mature than others. Some perform better than others. Some provide
integration with platform-specific libraries (i.e. JRuby and IronRuby
providing Java and .NET integration, respectively). None of them are
standards-compliant because no standard exists (no, a test suite is not a
standard, and neither is a reference implementation).
Has anyone else been reading these things?

We've all seen it, but no one is depending on Microsoft's goodwill so no
one is particularly worried.

--Greg

John Joyce

[...]

This is also what they did with C++ in the form of Visual C++
they tried to do it with HTML and Javascript too. Anything they touch
really.
They just try to use it as a business tactic. But every platform has
stuff like that.
You think Silverlight is just out of the goodness of their hearts?
why are you shocked? This has long been one of their strategies.
Sometimes it is simply an engineer introducing legitimate features,
but tech companies have long known that features can also be platform
lock-ins!
If it's a legitimately useful/cool feature, others implement it as
well and it becomes a defacto standard like the xml remote procedure
call that led to AJAX.
The irony is, Microsoft is probably setting themselves up to have
more malware written in more languages that are easier to write code in.

Lloyd Linklater

Phil said:
The IronRuby license:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/sharedsource/licensingbasics/permissivelicense.mspx

That link can be found on IronRuby's Rubyforge project page
(ironruby.rubyforge.org).

In short: No. MS even submitted the Permissive License for review by the
OSI (self-appointed watchdog over OSS licenses).

In short, yes. From your link and I read and referenced:

3. Conditions and Limitations
(C) If you distribute any portion of the software, you must retain all
copyright, patent, trademark, and attribution notices that are present
in the software.

"ANY portion of the software"
"you must retain ALL..."

Gregory said:
What are you smoking? No one's forcing you to do anything.

I was just asking about things I read. No need to ask what I am
smoking. The things I have been reading seem alarmist and I wanted to
ask in a place where I had hoped I could get a more reasoned and
reasonable response.

Greg Donald

I have heard disturbing things about IronRuby. The short version is
that MS wants to get into the open source arena as that seems to be
their biggest competition, but not in the way that those already there
are. I heard that they want to change the rules for open source to
insinuate themselves everywhere. I read their new version of the open
source agreement that says that if you copy the smallest bit from their
code that you MUST include the entire MS disclaimer and sundry stuff.

M$ simply doesn't understand open source. They think they can make
their own version of everything when really they should just
contribute to the existing software project like other not-so-large
contributers do.

To have so much money and still be so clueless..

John Lam (CLR)

Can someone clarify for me the state of the various Ruby
implementations under .NET?
Here are the ones I've heard of.

1) Gardens Point Ruby.NET from Queensland University of Technology in
Australia (funded by Microsoft)
2) RubyCLR from John Lam
3) IronRuby from Microsoft which hired John Lam who now runs the
project

1) and 3) are both being actively developed. There are folks who have commi=
t privileges to 2), but I don't really have cycles now to contribute to 2) =
and 3) :(

-John

Ari Brown

On Sep 12, 2007, at 11:15 AM, Lloyd Linklater wrote:

<snip>

I may be bashed as a MS hater.... but long live the penguin.

Apparently, what MS will do is enter a field and provide everything
the competitors provide, except more.

The catch is they insert all sorts of trips, like the software will
only work when applied to .NET productions.
An example is a piece of network software they wrote which would only
talk to Windoze machines.

So.......
I really want to get my hands on that ruby compiler sooooooo baaaaaaaad

~ Ari
English is like a pseudo-random number generator - there are a
bajillion rules to it, but nobody cares.

Michael T. Richter

--=-p8ff/ke3uywXAVGFdW1l

--=-up4wPYe5VjeQaeKOHMGd

I read their new version of the open
source agreement that says that if you copy the smallest bit from their
code that you MUST include the entire MS disclaimer and sundry stuff.

And this is different from the viral portions of the GPL suite how,
precisely? If I make a program with over a million lines of code and
add a hundred lines from a GPLed source, suddenly all of my millions of
lines of code are under the GPL. Or is this different because it's
Microsoft?

--=20
Michael T. Richter <[email protected]> (GoogleTalk:
(e-mail address removed))
I'm not schooled in the science of human factors, but I suspect surprise
is not an element of a robust user interface. (Chip Rosenthal)

--=-up4wPYe5VjeQaeKOHMGd

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; CHARSET=3DUTF-8">
<META NAME=3D"GENERATOR" CONTENT=3D"GtkHTML/3.12.1">
</HEAD>
<BODY>
On Thu, 2007-13-09 at 00:15 +0900, Lloyd Linklater wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=3DCITE>
<PRE>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#000000">I read their new version of the open</FONT>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#000000">source agreement that says that if you copy the sma=
llest bit from their</FONT>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#000000">code that you MUST include the entire MS disclaimer=
and sundry stuff.</FONT>
</PRE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>
And this is different from the viral portions of the GPL suite how, precise=
ly?&nbsp; If I make a program with over a million lines of code and add a h=
undred lines from a GPLed source, suddenly all of my millions of lines of c=
ode are under the GPL.&nbsp; Or is this different because it's Microsoft?<B=

<BR>
<TABLE CELLSPACING=3D"0" CELLPADDING=3D"0" WIDTH=3D"100%">
<TR>
<TD>
-- <BR>
<B>Michael T. Richter</B> &lt;<A HREF=3D"mailto:[email protected]">ttmri=
(e-mail address removed)</A>&gt; (<B>GoogleTalk:</B> (e-mail address removed))<BR>
<I>I'm not schooled in the science of human factors, but I suspect surprise=
is not an element of a robust user interface. (Chip Rosenthal)</I>
</TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>
</BODY>