is a webservice the right thing?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by mindcopy, Feb 17, 2006.

  1. mindcopy

    mindcopy Guest

    Hello,

    I need to do the following: gather some data from a client computer and
    put it in a remote (SQL) database. This data is then used on a website.
    The ammount of data in itself is fairly limited, and easely formatted
    into some XML style, but needs to be updated periodically (from every 5
    mins to once a day). The data consists of username, date/time, result
    and description (optionally).

    Due to connection failures and other erros, the first action to take is
    request which data was entered last, so i'm thinking this would be
    perfect for a webservice, however, the bulk of the action will be
    putting the new data into the database.

    Based on what i've been reading it seems to me webservices are in
    general more used to get data instead of posting/processing it, so i a
    bit lost now if i should use a webservice to accept the data and
    process it, or use another preffered method?

    Thank you,

    Peter
    mindcopy, Feb 17, 2006

  2. mindcopy

    Josh Twist Guest

    Even Microsoft advise against the use of remoting now (though it will
    be supported by them).

    Developing distributed systems today:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/webservic...-us/dnwebsrv/html/dsgprescriptiveguidance.asp

    Choosing a distributed technology:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/webservices/choosing/default.aspx

    I'm not sure I understand your requirements well enough to be sure that
    distributed computing is really what you need at all, but if it is,
    these links should help.

    Josh
    http://www.thejoyofcode.com
    Josh Twist, Feb 18, 2006

  3. mindcopy

    mindcopy Guest

    tnx for the response.

    Remoting is something new for me, but after doing some reading, it
    indeed seems a webservice is the better choice at the moment.
    mindcopy, Feb 20, 2006