is a webservice the right thing?

mindcopy

Hello,

I need to do the following: gather some data from a client computer and
put it in a remote (SQL) database. This data is then used on a website.
The ammount of data in itself is fairly limited, and easely formatted
into some XML style, but needs to be updated periodically (from every 5
mins to once a day). The data consists of username, date/time, result
and description (optionally).

Due to connection failures and other erros, the first action to take is
request which data was entered last, so i'm thinking this would be
perfect for a webservice, however, the bulk of the action will be
putting the new data into the database.

Based on what i've been reading it seems to me webservices are in
general more used to get data instead of posting/processing it, so i a
bit lost now if i should use a webservice to accept the data and
process it, or use another preffered method?

Thank you,

Peter

Josh Twist

Even Microsoft advise against the use of remoting now (though it will
be supported by them).

Developing distributed systems today:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/webservic...-us/dnwebsrv/html/dsgprescriptiveguidance.asp

Choosing a distributed technology:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/webservices/choosing/default.aspx

I'm not sure I understand your requirements well enough to be sure that
distributed computing is really what you need at all, but if it is,
these links should help.

Josh
http://www.thejoyofcode.com

mindcopy

tnx for the response.

Remoting is something new for me, but after doing some reading, it
indeed seems a webservice is the better choice at the moment.