Is any diffrence in...?

Jürgen Exner

Rita said:
Is there any difference to write Perl script on windows or on Linux?

Specifically for writing? Well, yes.
The set of tools that typically come with each OS are different, e.g.
Notepad versus emacs.

jue

Rita

Jürgen Exner said:
Specifically for writing? Well, yes.
The set of tools that typically come with each OS are different, e.g.
Notepad versus emacs.

No I mean Programming code...because same programm i am running on
windows system it is working but on linux system it is not ,that's why?

Paul Lalli

Rita said:
No I mean Programming code...because same programm i am running on
windows system it is working but on linux system it is not ,that's why?

You have a syntax error on line 42.

You *still* don't understand the idea of giving us *all* the
information needed? Cripes, Rita, how many times have you posted here,
and how many times have you gotten this response, from both myself and
countless others?

Post a SHORT BUT COMPLETE script that demonstrates your problem. Tell
us what you mean by "not working". What are the exact texts of the
errors and warnings? What are the inputs, the desired outputs, and the
actual outputs?

I cannot for the life of me understand how you expect anyone to answer
your questions without this information.

You've already driven many of the regulars away from your posts by your
posting style and refusal to follow these simple requests. Is it your
goal to drive the rest away?

Paul Lalli

Jürgen Exner

Rita said:
[...] same programm i am running on
windows system it is working but on linux system it is not ,that's
why?

Probably because you are using some non-portable construct or code piece.

For a better answer please provide a minimal, self-contained code sample
that demonstrates your problem together with an accurate and complete error
description including actual input as well as expected output, actual
output, and how those two differ (unless obvious).

Your current problem description is on the level of "my car works in London
but not in Paris. Why?" Well, there could be a million reasons including you
tried to drive on the left side of the road in London or someone burned your
car in Paris.

jue

Bego Mario Garde

Paul said:
I cannot for the life of me understand how you expect anyone to answer
your questions without this information.

I can understand your excitement, but even without any further
information I (a perl-newbie!) thought about two differences:

* the shebang: #!perl vers #!/usr/bin/perl.
AFAIK you could write #!MickeyMouse with Perl running under Windows?

and

* system(), as e.g. a "system(ls)" will list the directory contents on a
unix-like system, but won't work on a windows system.

Bego

Jürgen Exner

Bego said:
I can understand your excitement, but even without any further
information I (a perl-newbie!) thought about two differences:

* the shebang: #!perl vers #!/usr/bin/perl.
AFAIK you could write #!MickeyMouse with Perl running under Windows?

Actually Windows does not use a shebang line to begin with.
* system(), as e.g. a "system(ls)" will list the directory contents
on a unix-like system, but won't work on a windows system.

Actually it will if you installed an 'ls' command on Windows.

And yes, those are two areas to watch out for.
But there are dozens and dozens of other potential pitfalls. Unless the OP
shows us _what_ is "not working" in which way there is no possibility to
help her.

jue

Matt Garrish

Bernard El-Hagin said:
Perhaps this is because Windows doesn't have an "ls" command? Try it
with "dir".

Works just fine with ls on my XP Pro machine (having cygwin installed)...
: )

Matt

David K. Wall

Bernard El-Hagin said:
[...]
Works just fine with ls on my XP Pro machine (having cygwin
installed)...
: )

Smartass. ;-)

Works fine for me under Windows, too, because I have the GNU tools
compiled for win32 in my path. Heh.

Joe Smith

Rita said:
Is there any difference to write Perl script on windows or on Linux?

It is easy to write perl scripts that run on both platforms; I do it
all the time.

What are you really asking for?
-Joe