Is any diffrence in...?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Rita, Dec 29, 2005.

  1. Rita

    Rita Guest

    Is there any difference to write Perl script on windows or on Linux?
    Rita, Dec 29, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Rita wrote:
    > Is there any difference to write Perl script on windows or on Linux?


    Specifically for writing? Well, yes.
    The set of tools that typically come with each OS are different, e.g.
    Notepad versus emacs.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Dec 29, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Rita

    Rita Guest

    Jürgen Exner wrote:
    > Rita wrote:
    > > Is there any difference to write Perl script on windows or on Linux?

    >
    > Specifically for writing? Well, yes.
    > The set of tools that typically come with each OS are different, e.g.
    > Notepad versus emacs.


    No I mean Programming code...because same programm i am running on
    windows system it is working but on linux system it is not ,that's why?
    Rita, Dec 29, 2005
    #3
  4. Rita

    Paul Lalli Guest

    Rita wrote:

    > No I mean Programming code...because same programm i am running on
    > windows system it is working but on linux system it is not ,that's why?


    You have a syntax error on line 42.

    You *still* don't understand the idea of giving us *all* the
    information needed? Cripes, Rita, how many times have you posted here,
    and how many times have you gotten this response, from both myself and
    countless others?

    Post a SHORT BUT COMPLETE script that demonstrates your problem. Tell
    us what you mean by "not working". What are the exact texts of the
    errors and warnings? What are the inputs, the desired outputs, and the
    actual outputs?

    I cannot for the life of me understand how you expect anyone to answer
    your questions without this information.

    You've already driven many of the regulars away from your posts by your
    posting style and refusal to follow these simple requests. Is it your
    goal to drive the rest away?

    Paul Lalli
    Paul Lalli, Dec 29, 2005
    #4
  5. Rita

    PB Guest

    Jürgen Exner wrote:

    > Notepad versus emacs.



    .... or vi.
    PB, Dec 29, 2005
    #5
  6. Rita

    Tintin Guest

    "Rita" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Is there any difference to write Perl script on windows or on Linux?


    Yes.
    Tintin, Dec 29, 2005
    #6
  7. Rita wrote:
    > [...] same programm i am running on
    > windows system it is working but on linux system it is not ,that's
    > why?


    Probably because you are using some non-portable construct or code piece.

    For a better answer please provide a minimal, self-contained code sample
    that demonstrates your problem together with an accurate and complete error
    description including actual input as well as expected output, actual
    output, and how those two differ (unless obvious).

    Your current problem description is on the level of "my car works in London
    but not in Paris. Why?" Well, there could be a million reasons including you
    tried to drive on the left side of the road in London or someone burned your
    car in Paris.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Dec 29, 2005
    #7
  8. Paul Lalli schrieb:
    >> No I mean Programming code...because same programm i am running on
    >> windows system it is working but on linux system it is not ,that's why?

    >
    > I cannot for the life of me understand how you expect anyone to answer
    > your questions without this information.
    >


    I can understand your excitement, but even without any further
    information I (a perl-newbie!) thought about two differences:

    * the shebang: #!perl vers #!/usr/bin/perl.
    AFAIK you could write #!MickeyMouse with Perl running under Windows?

    and

    * system(), as e.g. a "system(ls)" will list the directory contents on a
    unix-like system, but won't work on a windows system.

    Bego
    Bego Mario Garde, Dec 30, 2005
    #8
  9. Bego Mario Garde wrote:
    > Paul Lalli schrieb:
    >>> No I mean Programming code...because same programm i am running on
    >>> windows system it is working but on linux system it is not ,that's
    >>> why?

    >>
    >> I cannot for the life of me understand how you expect anyone to
    >> answer your questions without this information.
    >>

    >
    > I can understand your excitement, but even without any further
    > information I (a perl-newbie!) thought about two differences:
    >
    > * the shebang: #!perl vers #!/usr/bin/perl.
    > AFAIK you could write #!MickeyMouse with Perl running under Windows?


    Actually Windows does not use a shebang line to begin with.

    > * system(), as e.g. a "system(ls)" will list the directory contents
    > on a unix-like system, but won't work on a windows system.


    Actually it will if you installed an 'ls' command on Windows.

    And yes, those are two areas to watch out for.
    But there are dozens and dozens of other potential pitfalls. Unless the OP
    shows us _what_ is "not working" in which way there is no possibility to
    help her.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Dec 30, 2005
    #9
  10. Rita

    Matt Garrish Guest

    "Bernard El-Hagin" <> wrote in
    message news:Xns973C6947F425elhber1lidotechnet@10.232.40.227...
    > Bego Mario Garde <> wrote:
    >>
    >> * system(), as e.g. a "system(ls)" will list the directory
    >> contents on a unix-like system, but won't work on a windows
    >> system.

    >
    >
    > Perhaps this is because Windows doesn't have an "ls" command? Try it
    > with "dir".
    >


    Works just fine with ls on my XP Pro machine (having cygwin installed)...
    : )

    Matt
    Matt Garrish, Dec 30, 2005
    #10
  11. Bernard El-Hagin <> wrote:

    > "Matt Garrish" <> wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    >>> Perhaps this is because Windows doesn't have an "ls" command? Try
    >>> it with "dir".
    >>>

    >>
    >> Works just fine with ls on my XP Pro machine (having cygwin
    >> installed)...
    >>: )

    >
    >
    > Smartass. ;-)


    Works fine for me under Windows, too, because I have the GNU tools
    compiled for win32 in my path. Heh.
    David K. Wall, Dec 30, 2005
    #11
  12. Rita

    Joe Smith Guest

    Rita wrote:
    > Is there any difference to write Perl script on windows or on Linux?


    It is easy to write perl scripts that run on both platforms; I do it
    all the time.

    What are you really asking for?
    -Joe
    Joe Smith, Jan 4, 2006
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. mohammed rafi
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    14,377
    Charles Bailey
    May 7, 2004
  2. mohammed rafi
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,291
    ben cohen
    May 6, 2004
  3. ITpro
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    2,601
    David N. Welton
    Oct 29, 2005
  4. vj
    Replies:
    17
    Views:
    23,648
    jessie143143
    Oct 21, 2012
  5. Luai

    Diffrence between ++i and i++

    Luai, Apr 12, 2004, in forum: C Programming
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    11,580
    Mabden
    May 7, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page