Is anyone using Python for embedded applications?

Carl J. Van Arsdall

I'm aware of a couple python projects for embedded systems. I am
currently considering using Python on an embedded platform to develop a
simple application as a personal project, mostly to see if it will
work. I was wondering if anyone here was using python for anything of
that nature? For those that are involved in these types of projects,
how does development in python differ for embedded projects versus a
non-embedded project? Is there a community standard technique or style
for this type of development (i.e. heavy in OO design? commonly used
patterns?) Are there any good tools to assist for this type of
development environment?

Oh, and if anyone has opinions/facts on why python should not be used in
an embedded platform, I'd like to know that too. I'm somewhat familiar
with pythons needs on a system, but there are a number of things I am
not aware of.

Thanks to everyone for their input!

-carl

sjdevnull

Carl said:
I'm aware of a couple python projects for embedded systems. I am
currently considering using Python on an embedded platform to develop a
simple application as a personal project, mostly to see if it will
work. I was wondering if anyone here was using python for anything of
that nature? For those that are involved in these types of projects,
how does development in python differ for embedded projects versus a
non-embedded project?

One place I used to work with opted for Stackless Python for embedded
work, so you might want to look at that depending on your constraints.

Paul Rubin

Carl J. Van Arsdall said:
Oh, and if anyone has opinions/facts on why
python should not be used in an embedded platform, I'd like to know
that too. I'm somewhat familiar with pythons needs on a system, but
there are a number of things I am not aware of. Thanks to everyone for
their input!

I haven't done it myself but have considered it. For one project
(cancelled before a real choice had to be made) I basically decided
CPython was too big for the application, both in memory footprint and
the amount of code in the interpreter that would have to be audited
and maintained.

Among other candidates, one of my favorites was Hedgehog Lisp:

http://hedgehog.oliotalo.fi/

It's much smaller and simpler as Python, though with nowhere near as
many creature comforts. Another possibility was a small JVM.