Is anyone using Python for embedded applications?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Carl J. Van Arsdall, Dec 12, 2006.

  1. I'm aware of a couple python projects for embedded systems. I am
    currently considering using Python on an embedded platform to develop a
    simple application as a personal project, mostly to see if it will
    work. I was wondering if anyone here was using python for anything of
    that nature? For those that are involved in these types of projects,
    how does development in python differ for embedded projects versus a
    non-embedded project? Is there a community standard technique or style
    for this type of development (i.e. heavy in OO design? commonly used
    patterns?) Are there any good tools to assist for this type of
    development environment?

    Oh, and if anyone has opinions/facts on why python should not be used in
    an embedded platform, I'd like to know that too. I'm somewhat familiar
    with pythons needs on a system, but there are a number of things I am
    not aware of.

    Thanks to everyone for their input!

    -carl

    --

    Carl J. Van Arsdall

    Build and Release
    Carl J. Van Arsdall, Dec 12, 2006

  2. Carl J. Van Arsdall

    Guest

    Carl J. Van Arsdall wrote:
    > I'm aware of a couple python projects for embedded systems. I am
    > currently considering using Python on an embedded platform to develop a
    > simple application as a personal project, mostly to see if it will
    > work. I was wondering if anyone here was using python for anything of
    > that nature? For those that are involved in these types of projects,
    > how does development in python differ for embedded projects versus a
    > non-embedded project?

    One place I used to work with opted for Stackless Python for embedded
    work, so you might want to look at that depending on your constraints.
    , Dec 13, 2006

  3. Carl J. Van Arsdall

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Carl J. Van Arsdall" <> writes:
    > Oh, and if anyone has opinions/facts on why
    > python should not be used in an embedded platform, I'd like to know
    > that too. I'm somewhat familiar with pythons needs on a system, but
    > there are a number of things I am not aware of. Thanks to everyone for
    > their input!

    I haven't done it myself but have considered it. For one project
    (cancelled before a real choice had to be made) I basically decided
    CPython was too big for the application, both in memory footprint and
    the amount of code in the interpreter that would have to be audited
    and maintained.

    Among other candidates, one of my favorites was Hedgehog Lisp:

    http://hedgehog.oliotalo.fi/

    It's much smaller and simpler as Python, though with nowhere near as
    many creature comforts. Another possibility was a small JVM.
    Paul Rubin, Dec 13, 2006