Is anyone using the W3C time text standard?

shrike

Howdy,

I was looking around for a video codec that would render a monochrome
xterm fairly well, and after finding MPEG4-17, and some googling I
stumbled in the W3C timed text standard. Now I'm totally confused. Is
anybody actually using this?

-Thanks

Joe Kesselman

I was looking around for a video codec that would render a monochrome
xterm fairly well, and after finding MPEG4-17, and some googling I
stumbled in the W3C timed text standard. Now I'm totally confused. Is
anybody actually using this?

Note that the W3C doesn't generally publish "standards"; their
specifications are called Recommendations. The intent is specifically to
recognize that defining something is only the starting point; it only
becomes an industry standard if people actually support it and use it.

The Timed Text Markup Language is recent enough that there Should
(Must?) have been at least a couple of working implementations before it
was approved as a Recommendation. That doesn't guarantee that the
implementations were incorporated into any real-world product or tool.

Note that it's intended for "online captioning" -- which doesn't seem to
be a particularly good match for what you're actually trying to accomplish.

--
Joe Kesselman,

Richard Tobin

Joe Kesselman said:
The Timed Text Markup Language is recent enough that there Should
(Must?) have been at least a couple of working implementations before it
was approved as a Recommendation.

Look for an implementation report link in the "Status of this Document"
section.

-- Richard