Is Apache ASP similar to ASP?

Brett

I'm developing with CF 5 and SQL Server 2000. I think they are both
great products. The major draw is their cost. I don't develop stand
alone products because anyone that wants to purchase them must also
purchase CF Server and SQL Server. So I run them as a hosted service.

MySQL is supposed to be free. If you are using this product, how do
you like it? What are you using for a front end?

I'd like to move toward developing software that some one can run on
their own webserver with the only cost being the software purchase.
That means the database and front end software need to be free (MySQL,
PHP, CGI). If the customer doesn't have these, they can download them
for free or small fee. What are some feasible alternatives to CF and
SQL Server?

Is ASP Apache comparable to ASP or ASP.NET? Everything will run on a
Lunix Server to keep cost down.

Thanks,
Brett

Jeff Cochran

I'm developing with CF 5 and SQL Server 2000. I think they are both
great products. The major draw is their cost. I don't develop stand
alone products because anyone that wants to purchase them must also
purchase CF Server and SQL Server. So I run them as a hosted service.

MySQL is supposed to be free. If you are using this product, how do
you like it?

Works fine, with a few idiosyncracies.
What are you using for a front end?

IIS/ASP and Apache/PHP/Perl
I'd like to move toward developing software that some one can run on
their own webserver with the only cost being the software purchase.
That means the database and front end software need to be free (MySQL,
PHP, CGI). If the customer doesn't have these, they can download them
for free or small fee. What are some feasible alternatives to CF and
SQL Server?

Free alternatives or feasible alternatives? If it has to be free,
you're doing the Open Source route.
Is ASP Apache comparable to ASP or ASP.NET?

Limited version of ASP, not even close on .NET.
Everything will run on a
Lunix Server to keep cost down.

Then you aren't running IIS, you aren't completely running ASP and
you're posting in the wrong group.

Jeff

Brett

Works fine, with a few idiosyncracies.

IIS/ASP and Apache/PHP/Perl

Free alternatives or feasible alternatives?
I don't want to give up to much be need something affordable. Perhaps
Windows (IIS) with Apache, MySQL and ASP/PHP/Perl is very affordable.
Anything that cuts out the high cost of MS SQL Server and Cold Fusion.
If it has to be free,
you're doing the Open Source route.

Limited version of ASP, not even close on .NET.

Then you aren't running IIS, you aren't completely running ASP and
you're posting in the wrong group.

You comment on ASP but above mention you are using PHP and Perl. Why
are you using all three?

BTW, do you consider development on Windows (IIS) better than Linux if
MySQL is being used?

Brett

Matt,

I'm starting to see that MySQL is a competitor to MS SQL Server and
Oracle. Why use PHP instead of Perl, Python, C++, or ASP?

Thanks,
Brett

Mark Schupp

You need to decide on a platform first.

If you must use Linux/Apache then ASP would be an extra add-on and it would
make more sense to use PHP or Perl.

If you decide to go with a Windows server then you will have IIS and ASP at
no additional cost and should probably use them (I don't see a lot of point
in buying a Windows server and then using Apache).

MySQL can be used with either Apache or IIS/ASP.

Brett

Mark Schupp said:
You need to decide on a platform first.

If you must use Linux/Apache then ASP would be an extra add-on and it would
make more sense to use PHP or Perl.

If you decide to go with a Windows server then you will have IIS and ASP at
no additional cost and should probably use them (I don't see a lot of point
in buying a Windows server and then using Apache).

I agree and Windows with IIS will be the platform. Would there be any
reason to use Python over ASP? Google seems to think Python is a
great language and are seeking Python programmers. I don't have
enough knowledge of either to know.

What are reasons to use ASP over ASP.NET? Is there an additional cost
to use ASP.NET?

Jeff Cochran

Free alternatives or feasible alternatives?
I don't want to give up to much be need something affordable. Perhaps
Windows (IIS) with Apache, MySQL and ASP/PHP/Perl is very affordable.
Anything that cuts out the high cost of MS SQL Server and Cold Fusion.

The use an alternative to MS SQL, such as MSDE, or MySQL. Understand
the differences and limitations and how they relate to your specific
project.
You comment on ASP but above mention you are using PHP and Perl. Why
are you using all three?

Because I use the appropriate tool for the task at hand. You asked
about ASP.
BTW, do you consider development on Windows (IIS) better than Linux if
MySQL is being used?

No. Development is development and whether a particular platform is
used is irrelevant in terms of better or worse. Use what is required
to do the job that needs to be done. I'm a firm believer in the
policy of developing on a system that mimics the deployment system,
though what you write the code on is irrelevant in that process.

MySQL wokrs well on both platforms, so platform isn't an issue. Same
with PHP and Perl. ASP is an IIS feature, and if you use the Linux
alternatives you're losing some of the reason you develop in ASP and
making a compromise. If you have to have a free system, Linux or
another open source OS is the way to go. That would push you in a
direction for development toward those technologies fully supported on
that OS.

I prefer Microsoft/IIS/ASP and SQL Server because I'm familiar with
it. I don't routinely use Linux/Apache/Perl/PHP because I'm less
familiar with it. I find that instances where MySQL would be a viable
alternative often allow me to use MSDE and leverage my SQL Server
skills, but MySQL works fine as an alternative to MS SQL Server. A
database is a database, and except for specific limitations of one
choice versus another, are minor decisions in creating an application.

Jeff

Jeff Cochran

I agree and Windows with IIS will be the platform. Would there be any
reason to use Python over ASP? Google seems to think Python is a
great language and are seeking Python programmers. I don't have
enough knowledge of either to know.

If you're not looking for a job with Google, what they are seeking in
skills is irrelevant. Python is a perfectly viable language, if you
choose to go that route, but ask about it in a Python group.
What are reasons to use ASP over ASP.NET? Is there an additional cost
to use ASP.NET?

The .NET framework is no charge to add to a Microsoft/IIS server.
It's a different environment from classic ASP, but if you're starting
out, it's a great option.

By the way, ASP isn't a programming language, nor is .NET. If you're
considering .NET, again, look in a .NET group, and plan on learning
C#.

Jeff

Jeff Cochran

Are you using IIS/ASP or Apache/PHP/Perl? Why?

Yes. Because they were right for the project. I don't use Apache on
Windows, and I really dislike ASP on Apache. Almost as much as I
dislike Cold Fusion. :)

Jeff