    Does anyone know if this code is deprecated?

    thanks!

    James

    James Mercola, Oct 4, 2004

  2. James Mercola

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Spake James Mercola unto thee:

    > Does anyone know if this code is deprecated?

    It's not. It's not actually a part of HTML, but rather a character
    reference, and so can't be deprecated. More likely is that you have found
    a giggly new bug :(

    --
    Dylan Parry
    http://webpageworkshop.co.uk - FREE Web tutorials and references

    Dylan Parry, Oct 4, 2004

  3. "James Mercola" <> wrote:

    > I visited a site recently that uses " &apos; " for apostrophes, but
    > they show up as the actual code rather than the apostrophe as
    > intended (using IE6sp2). On Mozilla Firefox they come thru as
    > apostrophes okay.
    >
    > Does anyone know if this code is deprecated?

    It is not deprecated. It is _undefined_ up to and including HTML 4.01 (so
    browsers may do whatever they like with it), and it is defined in XHTML
    since it is part of XML. And it's never needed.

    For more info, see a recent thread in comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html
    ( http://groups.google.com/groups?th=c43d6958305e608b )

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Oct 4, 2004
  4. Quoth the raven James Mercola:

    > I visited a site recently that uses " &apos; " for apostrophes, but
    > they show up as the actual code rather than the apostrophe as
    > intended (using IE6sp2). On Mozilla Firefox they come thru as
    > apostrophes okay.

    It's an IE bug... or rather not supported. My ISP has a news service
    on their home page that started using &apos; and immediately all the
    IE users started complaining "what's this crap?" As you say, it works
    fine in Moz and Firefox.

    The service finally dropped using it.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 5, 2004
  5. James Mercola

    sjk30

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Use ASCII code 34

    Use &#39; for an apostrophe (straight quote mark)
    Use &#34; for speech marks (double straight quote marks)

    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
    sjk30, Feb 7, 2011