Is asp.net menu realy that bad?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Bogdan, Jun 14, 2009.

  1. Bogdan

    Bogdan Guest

    Hi,

    I've been reading a lot about asp.net menu and how difficult it is to make
    it appear consistent in different browsers. I got the idea that the only
    way to do that is to use css friendly adapters.

    My app uses a relatively simple menu: five static items laid out
    horizontally with 4-6 dynamic items each. I use image for static menu and
    static menu items (1 pixel wide and 28 pixels high with repeat-x). For
    dynamic menus I use background colors and borders.

    I use skins and associated css files to style the menu.

    I have tested the app in IE6, IE7, IE8, Safari 3.1.1, and FireFox 3.0.10.
    Everything seems to be working as expected.

    My experience with .NET Web development is very limited. I'd like to roll
    out this app asap but I'm not sure if it is a good idea.

    What are the other browsers that this stuff might not work with? Or, are
    the 'known' problems with asp.net menu applicable only to a more advanced
    usage of this control?

    I'd appreciate _any_ comments.

    Thanks,
    Bogdan

    Bogdan, Jun 14, 2009

  2. On Jun 14, 8:58 pm, "Bogdan" <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been reading a lot about asp.net menu and how difficult it is to make
    > it appear consistent in different browsers.  I got the idea that the only
    > way to do that is to use css friendly adapters.
    >
    > My app uses a relatively simple menu: five static items laid out
    > horizontally with 4-6 dynamic items each.  I use image for static menu and
    > static menu items (1 pixel wide and 28 pixels high with repeat-x).  For
    > dynamic menus I use background colors and borders.
    >
    > I use skins and associated css files to style the menu.
    >
    > I have tested the app in IE6, IE7, IE8, Safari 3.1.1, and FireFox 3.0.10.
    > Everything seems to be working as expected.
    >
    > My experience with .NET Web development is very limited.  I'd like to roll
    > out this app asap but I'm not sure if it is a good idea.
    >
    > What are the other browsers that this stuff might not work with?  Or, are
    > the 'known' problems with asp.net menu applicable only to a more advanced
    > usage of this control?
    >
    > I'd appreciate _any_ comments.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bogdan

    From what I can see in Google it always a matter of control and other
    settings of the page like z-index or xhtmlConformance

    Examples:
    http://blogs.technet.com/stefan_gossner/archive/2006/01/24/418005.aspx
    http://blogs.msdn.com/giorgio/archive/2009/02/01/asp-net-menu-and-ie8-rendering-white-issue.aspx

    So, why bother if it is working good for you?

    Alexey Smirnov, Jun 15, 2009

  3. "Bogdan" <> wrote in

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been reading a lot about asp.net menu and how difficult it is to
    > make it appear consistent in different browsers. I got the idea that
    > the only way to do that is to use css friendly adapters.
    >
    > My app uses a relatively simple menu: five static items laid out
    > horizontally with 4-6 dynamic items each. I use image for static menu
    > and static menu items (1 pixel wide and 28 pixels high with repeat-x).
    > For dynamic menus I use background colors and borders.
    >
    > I use skins and associated css files to style the menu.
    >
    > I have tested the app in IE6, IE7, IE8, Safari 3.1.1, and FireFox
    > 3.0.10. Everything seems to be working as expected.
    >
    > My experience with .NET Web development is very limited. I'd like to
    > roll out this app asap but I'm not sure if it is a good idea.
    >
    > What are the other browsers that this stuff might not work with? Or,
    > are the 'known' problems with asp.net menu applicable only to a more
    > advanced usage of this control?
    >
    > I'd appreciate _any_ comments.

    It is not that bad. If you do not customize the menu too much, you
    should do okay in a wide variety of browsers. If you step outside that
    box, you might have some issues, which is what you mostly hear in forums
    like this.

    One issue with the menu is it uses tables to organize the content. But,
    you can download the free CSS Adapters for .NET controls and output
    lists instead of tables, which is much cleaner.

    Now, there is an issue with the way the CSS is formated, if you ask me.
    The CSS with the default adapter is very "class heavy", which is
    unnecessary and makes it hard to extend. Fortunately, Microsoft has the
    source available and it is very easy to change to a more "standard"
    approach.

    I will have to dig up my custom implementation and blog about it some
    time, for those who want a more hierarchical approach. It is R&D work,
    but it makes for a decent start. Perhaps codeplex?

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Twitter: @gbworld

    | Think outside the box! |

    Gregory A. Beamer, Jun 15, 2009
  4. "Mark Rae [MVP]" <> wrote in news:OmN3Toc7JHA.4632
    @TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl:

    > "Gregory A. Beamer" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Perhaps CodePlex?

    > Definitely! I'd certainly be interested in seeing your modifications...

    It's on a drive at home, so I will have to make time this week to pull it
    out of archive. I would have it out now, but I am have not worked ASP.NET
    since November. ;-)

    Essentially, I whacked the code to use a more standard approach, but I am
    sure it could be improved greatly in a production environment.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Twitter: @gbworld