    Is AxKit still alive or is all the sensible money on Cocoon?

    Jonathan
    , Jun 9, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > Is AxKit still alive or is all the sensible money on Cocoon?

    I've never heard of AxKit, for whatever that's worth.

    Joe Kesselman, Jun 9, 2006

  3. Nick Kew Guest

    wrote:
    > Is AxKit still alive

    What does the site tell you?

    > or is all the sensible money on Cocoon?

    Nope. Since Apache 2, we have extensive XML capabilities
    available as built into the server.

    --
    Nick Kew
    Nick Kew, Jun 9, 2006
  4. AxKit is one of the remaining sub-projects of the Apache XML project --
    see http://xml.apache.org/. Interestingly, AxKit retains its own domain
    (http://axkit.org) rather than having been brought onto Apache's own
    servers.

    One way to tell whether it's alive is to check what's happening on the
    bug list. The last entry in the resolved-bugs list is a year old. Given
    that there are more recent bug report than that, this is not encouraging.

    Suggestion: Hit AxKit's own mailing list and/or IRC and ask them what
    they think its status is...?
    Joe Kesselman, Jun 9, 2006

    Joe Kesselman wrote:
    > AxKit is one of the remaining sub-projects of the Apache XML project --
    > see http://xml.apache.org/. Interestingly, AxKit retains its own domain
    > (http://axkit.org) rather than having been brought onto Apache's own
    > servers.
    >
    > One way to tell whether it's alive is to check what's happening on the
    > bug list. The last entry in the resolved-bugs list is a year old. Given
    > that there are more recent bug report than that, this is not encouraging.
    >
    > Suggestion: Hit AxKit's own mailing list and/or IRC and ask them what
    > they think its status is...?

    Thanks for that, I had noted these points already.

    There is very little activity in the newsgroups and Matt Sergeant
    hasn't posted on this topic in the newsgroups for ages.

    My question was not what is Axkit's official state was but which
    solution was better to commit ones organisation to, going forward,
    Axkit or Cocoon. My feel is Cocoon unless anyone knows any other
    better options?

    Jonathan

    p.s. I'll be putting this question to ApacheCon in Dublin later this
    month, I'll see what they say.
    , Jun 12, 2006
  6. Nick Kew Guest

    Nick Kew, Jun 12, 2006
  7. wrote:
    > My question was not what is Axkit's official state was but which
    > solution was better to commit ones organisation to, going forward,
    > Axkit or Cocoon. My feel is Cocoon unless anyone knows any other
    > better options?

    The fact that you're having trouble finding out anything about AxKit's
    state strikes me as sufficient reason to believe you may have trouble
    getting support for it. Cocoon's got an active community. That would be
    sufficient reason for me; your milage may vary.

    Joe Kesselman, Jun 12, 2006
  8. Peter Flynn Guest

    wrote:
    > Joe Kesselman wrote:
    >> AxKit is one of the remaining sub-projects of the Apache XML project --
    >> see http://xml.apache.org/. Interestingly, AxKit retains its own domain
    >> (http://axkit.org) rather than having been brought onto Apache's own
    >> servers.
    >>
    >> One way to tell whether it's alive is to check what's happening on the
    >> bug list. The last entry in the resolved-bugs list is a year old. Given
    >> that there are more recent bug report than that, this is not encouraging.
    >>
    >> Suggestion: Hit AxKit's own mailing list and/or IRC and ask them what
    >> they think its status is...?

    > Thanks for that, I had noted these points already.
    >
    > There is very little activity in the newsgroups and Matt Sergeant
    > hasn't posted on this topic in the newsgroups for ages.
    >
    > My question was not what is Axkit's official state was but which
    > solution was better to commit ones organisation to, going forward,
    > Axkit or Cocoon. My feel is Cocoon unless anyone knows any other
    > better options?

    Last time I checked AxKit had problems compiling under anything later
    than RH7 because they didn't have access to a system running FC. I
    did actually get it working once, but the Perl dependencies are the
    usual nightmare.

    Cocoon is heavily supported, and seems to work out of the box. You
    will, however, need some serious memory and CPU for Cocoon.

    > p.s. I'll be putting this question to ApacheCon in Dublin later this
    > month, I'll see what they say.

    Maybe see you there.

    ///Peter
    --
    XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/
    Peter Flynn, Jun 12, 2006
  9. jonathan Guest

    These are all good points that you've raised and it was exactly the
    sort of conversation I was trying to start. To take it a little
    further, we're basically after something that will handle multiple
    transformations on an xml source for various purposes, caching where
    appropriate to save bandwidth and processor cycles.

    AxKit pretty well gave us what we wanted but we fear it's not going to
    be well supported, Cocoon offers better levels of support but maybe to
    big for what we need, we don't want a CMS and we aren't currently using
    Tomcat/Java solutions, we predominately use Perl and Apache.

    Any other options out there that you know of, I'll certainly attend the
    "Content Transformation with Apache: Filters and Proxies" at ApacheCon.

    May see some of you there.

    Jonathan
    jonathan, Jun 13, 2006
  10. Peter Flynn Guest

    jonathan wrote:
    > These are all good points that you've raised and it was exactly the
    > sort of conversation I was trying to start. To take it a little
    > further, we're basically after something that will handle multiple
    > transformations on an xml source for various purposes, caching where
    > appropriate to save bandwidth and processor cycles.
    >
    > AxKit pretty well gave us what we wanted but we fear it's not going to
    > be well supported, Cocoon offers better levels of support but maybe to
    > big for what we need, we don't want a CMS and we aren't currently using
    > Tomcat/Java solutions, we predominately use Perl and Apache.

    Well Tomcat is part of Apache, and I wouldn't shed any tears at giving
    up on Perl, myself :) My concern about AxKit was that it was a bit
    lightweight for large-scale implementations. Cocoon doesn't have to be
    big -- you can cut swathes of crud out of the sitemap.xmap which is only
    there as examples, and define an application to tie it down tight. And
    if you're not going to be reprogramming Cocoon, you don't need to know
    any Java, just XML and XSLT. Cocoon itself isn't a CMS, although there
    are several built using it.

    ///Peter
    --
    XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/