Is "Borland C++ Builder 1" code-compatible with the free BorlandC++ 5.5 ?

Discussion in 'C++' started by Rolf Hemmerling, Nov 5, 2003.

  1. Hello !

    For a student project, I must use

    Borland C++ 5.5
    with binary libries of QT/Win Academic, Borlanc C++ 5.5 edition
    http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/windows.html

    , but there is no good free IDE, I tested all I can get. By now, we use
    the DevC++ IDE
    http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html
    , with a wrapper utiltiy, which transforms the Borland C++ error
    messages to the format which is demanded by DevC++

    Now I learned that the **german** version of "Borland C++ Builder 1" is
    available for less than 25 EUR:
    http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/3826607430/

    So is "Borland C++ Builder 1" code-compatible with the the free edition
    of Borland C++ 5.5,

    so that I may use the QT libraries with C++ Builder 1 ?

    So is Borland C++ 5.5 **of the same age** as Borland C++ Builder 1, or
    which C++ Builder corresponds to the free C++5.5 ?

    And what special features do I get with Borland C++ Builder 1, which are
    not availabe with the free Borland C++ 5.5 compiler, besides the IDE ?
    a) which C++ framework ?
    b) Is there a GUI designer, and if so for which C++ framework?
    c) o.k., I get an IDE for FAST develpment ( the DevC++ solution is "slow").
    d) What are the benifits of the current C++ Builder 6 ( code is
    incompatible to C++ 5.5 code, I learend ), in comparsion to C ++ Builder 1 ?

    Sincerely
    Rolf

    --
    / / / Alone on the data highway...
    / / like on an allee in Hannover-Herrenhausen

    Rolf Hemmerling, Nov 5, 2003

  2. Rolf Hemmerling

    Jack Klein Guest

    Re: Is "Borland C++ Builder 1" code-compatible with the free Borland C++ 5.5 ?

    On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 11:10:24 +0100, Rolf Hemmerling
    <> wrote in comp.lang.c++:

    > Hello !
    >
    > For a student project, I must use
    >
    > Borland C++ 5.5
    > with binary libries of QT/Win Academic, Borlanc C++ 5.5 edition
    > http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/windows.html
    >
    > , but there is no good free IDE, I tested all I can get. By now, we use
    > the DevC++ IDE
    > http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html
    > , with a wrapper utiltiy, which transforms the Borland C++ error
    > messages to the format which is demanded by DevC++
    >
    > Now I learned that the **german** version of "Borland C++ Builder 1" is
    > available for less than 25 EUR:
    > http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/3826607430/
    >
    > So is "Borland C++ Builder 1" code-compatible with the the free edition
    > of Borland C++ 5.5,
    >
    > so that I may use the QT libraries with C++ Builder 1 ?

    Questions about specific versions of specific compilers are not
    language issues, and off-topic here. The Borland support groups are
    on their server nntp://newsgroups.borland.com. The ones for questions
    about C++ Builder have news:borland.public.cppbuilder.* in their
    names.

    I see that you have tried to cross-post to one of the Borland groups,
    but you post will never get there. They do not accept posts from
    other usenet hosts, only directly to their server listed above.

    --
    Jack Klein
    Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

    Jack Klein, Nov 6, 2003