Is Borland Compiler Suited for my Needs (Better than VC++)?

Steven O.

First, sorry if by some chance I am not posting to the correct
newsgroups, these seemed to be the most applicable to my question (see
disclaimer at end of post for further comments....).

Started with the Borland web site, and it didn't answer my questions,
so I hope someone here will be kind enough to reply. I took a few
courses on C++ using Microsoft Visual C++, and then taught myself MFC
for GUI design -- an exercise akin to using only a carrot peeler to
prepare a gourmet four-course dinner. There must be an easier way,
something like the way Visual Basic offers a fairly reasonable way to
create a GUI.

I am basically a hobbyist, and want to use C++ to play around with
some artificial intelligence stuff, expert systems, fuzzy logic,
things like that. I want it to be EASY to make a straightforward GUI
with menus, text displays, dialog boxes, and some relatively simple
graphics to go along with my code. I don't need to do any Enterprise
stuff, no connecting to databases or the Web, just need to be able to
create, save, and load files to/from disk.

I have Windows 2000, and so need a compiler/IDE that runs on that.
Price is also a big issue -- I was surprised Borland did not have a
free Personal C++ Builder, like the free Personal JBuilder. But my
questions are:
1. Does Borland have a C++ compiler/IDE that makes it real easy to
build my GUI, and...
2. Is there a cheap, student version, something I can buy at the
local university (I am a part-time student).

If Borland doesn't do it, is there something from some other vendor?
(Does the new .NET C++ compiler offer a better way than VC++ !?)
Thanks in advance for all replies.

(e-mail address removed)

Standard Antiflame Disclaimer: Please don't flame me. I may actually *be* an idiot, but even idiots have feelings.

David White

Steven O. said:
First, sorry if by some chance I am not posting to the correct
newsgroups,

Alas, this is the case. This might point you in a more fruitful direction:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
these seemed to be the most applicable to my question (see
disclaimer at end of post for further comments....).

No, they aren't. They are for discussion of standard C++ and/or C.
Started with the Borland web site, and it didn't answer my questions,
so I hope someone here will be kind enough to reply. I took a few
courses on C++ using Microsoft Visual C++, and then taught myself MFC
for GUI design

[snip]

There are newsgroups for both compilers. I suggest asking questions about
both in their own newsgroups and then deciding for yourself.

DW

Richard Heathfield

[Cross-posted to comp.programming, and followups set, because the question
is less off-topic there than in clc++ or acllcc++]
First, sorry if by some chance I am not posting to the correct
newsgroups, these seemed to be the most applicable to my question (see
disclaimer at end of post for further comments....).

Um, oddly enough, neither of the groups you chose is suitable. Hence, please
use comp.programming if you want to continue this discussion. Thanks.
Started with the Borland web site, and it didn't answer my questions,

Yeah, that's traditional. The quality of Borland's marketing has always been
in inverse proportion to the quality of their software (or, putting it
another way, their marketing has always been hopeless).
so I hope someone here will be kind enough to reply. I took a few
courses on C++ using Microsoft Visual C++, and then taught myself MFC
for GUI design -- an exercise akin to using only a carrot peeler to
prepare a gourmet four-course dinner.

ROTFL, been there, got the tee-shirt.
There must be an easier way,
something like the way Visual Basic offers a fairly reasonable way to
create a GUI.

Sounds like you're asking for C++ Builder.
I am basically a hobbyist, and want to use C++ to play around with
some artificial intelligence stuff, expert systems, fuzzy logic,
things like that. I want it to be EASY to make a straightforward GUI
with menus, text displays, dialog boxes, and some relatively simple
graphics to go along with my code.

C++ Builder, no question.

I don't need to do any Enterprise
stuff, no connecting to databases or the Web, just need to be able to
create, save, and load files to/from disk.

C++ Builder can do that.
I have Windows 2000, and so need a compiler/IDE that runs on that.

And that.
Price is also a big issue -- I was surprised Borland did not have a
free Personal C++ Builder, like the free Personal JBuilder. But my
questions are:
1. Does Borland have a C++ compiler/IDE that makes it real easy to
build my GUI, and...

C++ Builder.
2. Is there a cheap, student version, something I can buy at the
local university (I am a part-time student).

There, you have me. I haven't the faintest idea. Maybe you can get one off
eBay or something?
If Borland doesn't do it, is there something from some other vendor?
(Does the new .NET C++ compiler offer a better way than VC++ !?)

Yes, Windows Forms, but I don't think Visual Studio.NET is any cheaper than
the far superior C++ Builder.

Steven O.

Follow-up question:

For my purpose -- writing code with a tool that makes it easy to build
the GUI -- do I need the latest version of Borland's C++ Builder
(which I think is version 6)? Or will Version 5 (which I can probably
buy cheap on Ebay) work just as well.

Put another way: Have there been any truly significant improvements
in going from version 5 to 6, in terms of features that let you build
the GUI? Remember, I'm not interested in enterprise stuff, network
connectivity, web connectivity, any of that, just building some simple
AI stuff with a pretty front end.

Thanks in advance for all further replies.

Steve O.
(e-mail address removed)

[...]

[Followups set to comp.programming]

If you wish to continue this discussion, please drop the cross-posts and
post only in comp.programming, since the other two groups deal only with
the standard incarnations of their subject language.
Follow-up question:

For my purpose -- writing code with a tool that makes it easy to build
the GUI -- do I need the latest version of Borland's C++ Builder
(which I think is version 6)? Or will Version 5 (which I can probably
buy cheap on Ebay) work just as well.

I have to get by with Version 4, and it's fine. So Version 5 will be fine
too.
Put another way: Have there been any truly significant improvements
in going from version 5 to 6, in terms of features that let you build
the GUI? Remember, I'm not interested in enterprise stuff, network
connectivity, web connectivity, any of that, just building some simple
AI stuff with a pretty front end.

Version 3 will suffice, then, and Version 5 will spoil you rotten. Go for
it.
Standard Antiflame Disclaimer: Please don't flame me. I may actually
*be* an idiot, but even idiots have feelings.

If you keep posting implementation questions in language newsgroups, we
might just start testing that statement.