Is Borland Compiler Suited for my Needs (Better than VC++)?

Discussion in 'C++' started by Steven O., Sep 15, 2003.

  1. Steven O.

    Steven O. Guest

    First, sorry if by some chance I am not posting to the correct
    newsgroups, these seemed to be the most applicable to my question (see
    disclaimer at end of post for further comments....).

    Started with the Borland web site, and it didn't answer my questions,
    so I hope someone here will be kind enough to reply. I took a few
    courses on C++ using Microsoft Visual C++, and then taught myself MFC
    for GUI design -- an exercise akin to using only a carrot peeler to
    prepare a gourmet four-course dinner. There must be an easier way,
    something like the way Visual Basic offers a fairly reasonable way to
    create a GUI.

    I am basically a hobbyist, and want to use C++ to play around with
    some artificial intelligence stuff, expert systems, fuzzy logic,
    things like that. I want it to be EASY to make a straightforward GUI
    with menus, text displays, dialog boxes, and some relatively simple
    graphics to go along with my code. I don't need to do any Enterprise
    stuff, no connecting to databases or the Web, just need to be able to
    create, save, and load files to/from disk.

    I have Windows 2000, and so need a compiler/IDE that runs on that.
    Price is also a big issue -- I was surprised Borland did not have a
    free Personal C++ Builder, like the free Personal JBuilder. But my
    questions are:
    1. Does Borland have a C++ compiler/IDE that makes it real easy to
    build my GUI, and...
    2. Is there a cheap, student version, something I can buy at the
    local university (I am a part-time student).

    If Borland doesn't do it, is there something from some other vendor?
    (Does the new .NET C++ compiler offer a better way than VC++ !?)
    Thanks in advance for all replies.

    Standard Antiflame Disclaimer: Please don't flame me. I may actually *be* an idiot, but even idiots have feelings.
    Steven O., Sep 15, 2003

  2. Steven O.

    David White Guest

    Steven O. <writer@REMOVE^^THISwritemaster.com> wrote in message
    > First, sorry if by some chance I am not posting to the correct
    > newsgroups,

    Alas, this is the case. This might point you in a more fruitful direction:
    http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt

    > these seemed to be the most applicable to my question (see
    > disclaimer at end of post for further comments....).

    No, they aren't. They are for discussion of standard C++ and/or C.

    > Started with the Borland web site, and it didn't answer my questions,
    > so I hope someone here will be kind enough to reply. I took a few
    > courses on C++ using Microsoft Visual C++, and then taught myself MFC
    > for GUI design

    [snip]

    There are newsgroups for both compilers. I suggest asking questions about
    both in their own newsgroups and then deciding for yourself.

    DW
    David White, Sep 16, 2003

  3. [Cross-posted to comp.programming, and followups set, because the question
    is less off-topic there than in clc++ or acllcc++]

    Steven O. wrote:

    > First, sorry if by some chance I am not posting to the correct
    > newsgroups, these seemed to be the most applicable to my question (see
    > disclaimer at end of post for further comments....).

    Um, oddly enough, neither of the groups you chose is suitable. Hence, please
    use comp.programming if you want to continue this discussion. Thanks.

    > Started with the Borland web site, and it didn't answer my questions,

    Yeah, that's traditional. The quality of Borland's marketing has always been
    in inverse proportion to the quality of their software (or, putting it
    another way, their marketing has always been hopeless).

    > so I hope someone here will be kind enough to reply. I took a few
    > courses on C++ using Microsoft Visual C++, and then taught myself MFC
    > for GUI design -- an exercise akin to using only a carrot peeler to
    > prepare a gourmet four-course dinner.

    ROTFL, been there, got the tee-shirt.

    > There must be an easier way,
    > something like the way Visual Basic offers a fairly reasonable way to
    > create a GUI.

    Sounds like you're asking for C++ Builder.

    > I am basically a hobbyist, and want to use C++ to play around with
    > some artificial intelligence stuff, expert systems, fuzzy logic,
    > things like that. I want it to be EASY to make a straightforward GUI
    > with menus, text displays, dialog boxes, and some relatively simple
    > graphics to go along with my code.

    C++ Builder, no question.

    I don't need to do any Enterprise
    > stuff, no connecting to databases or the Web, just need to be able to
    > create, save, and load files to/from disk.

    C++ Builder can do that.

    > I have Windows 2000, and so need a compiler/IDE that runs on that.

    And that.

    > Price is also a big issue -- I was surprised Borland did not have a
    > free Personal C++ Builder, like the free Personal JBuilder. But my
    > questions are:
    > 1. Does Borland have a C++ compiler/IDE that makes it real easy to
    > build my GUI, and...

    C++ Builder.

    > 2. Is there a cheap, student version, something I can buy at the
    > local university (I am a part-time student).

    There, you have me. I haven't the faintest idea. Maybe you can get one off
    eBay or something?

    > If Borland doesn't do it, is there something from some other vendor?
    > (Does the new .NET C++ compiler offer a better way than VC++ !?)

    Yes, Windows Forms, but I don't think Visual Studio.NET is any cheaper than
    the far superior C++ Builder.

    --
    Richard Heathfield :
    Richard Heathfield, Sep 16, 2003
  4. On 15 Sep 2003 21:58:43 GMT, Steven O.
    <writer@REMOVE^^THISwritemaster.com> wrote:

    >2. Is there a cheap, student version, something I can buy at the
    >local university (I am a part-time student).

    Although OT, I believe this product for $69 is what you are looking
    for. Note that the second url is broken on purpose to avoid wrapping
    problems.

    http://shop.borland.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Master

    http://shop.borland.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry10?V1=378255

    &PN=1&SP=10023&xid=39696&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0

    Best wishes,

    Bob
    Robert W Hand, Sep 16, 2003
  5. Steven O.

    Steven O. Guest

    Follow-up question:

    For my purpose -- writing code with a tool that makes it easy to build
    the GUI -- do I need the latest version of Borland's C++ Builder
    (which I think is version 6)? Or will Version 5 (which I can probably
    buy cheap on Ebay) work just as well.

    Put another way: Have there been any truly significant improvements
    in going from version 5 to 6, in terms of features that let you build
    the GUI? Remember, I'm not interested in enterprise stuff, network
    connectivity, web connectivity, any of that, just building some simple
    AI stuff with a pretty front end.

    Thanks in advance for all further replies.

    Steve O.

    Steven O., Sep 17, 2003
  6. [Followups set to comp.programming]

    If you wish to continue this discussion, please drop the cross-posts and
    post only in comp.programming, since the other two groups deal only with
    the standard incarnations of their subject language.

    Steven O. wrote:

    > Follow-up question:
    >
    > For my purpose -- writing code with a tool that makes it easy to build
    > the GUI -- do I need the latest version of Borland's C++ Builder
    > (which I think is version 6)? Or will Version 5 (which I can probably
    > buy cheap on Ebay) work just as well.

    I have to get by with Version 4, and it's fine. So Version 5 will be fine
    too.

    > Put another way: Have there been any truly significant improvements
    > in going from version 5 to 6, in terms of features that let you build
    > the GUI? Remember, I'm not interested in enterprise stuff, network
    > connectivity, web connectivity, any of that, just building some simple
    > AI stuff with a pretty front end.

    Version 3 will suffice, then, and Version 5 will spoil you rotten. Go for
    it.

    > Standard Antiflame Disclaimer: Please don't flame me. I may actually
    > *be* an idiot, but even idiots have feelings.

    If you keep posting implementation questions in language newsgroups, we
    might just start testing that statement.

    --
    Richard Heathfield :
    Richard Heathfield, Sep 17, 2003