Is Capturing keypress in a designMode IFrame possible?

Jay Xx

I have an IFrame in design mode. I've tried a bunch of things to
capture key presses in that IFrame, but I can't seem to get it. I can
capture key presses outside the IFrame fine. I have this problem in
Firefox, not IE.
I do know it's possible because Blogger.com's rich text editor does it,
but their code is cryptic and separated into like 20 files, so I'm
going through hell trying to decipher it.
(I need to capture the keypress in order to cancel Ctrl-B from opening
the bookmarks sidebar)

Martin Honnen

Jay said:
I have an IFrame in design mode. I've tried a bunch of things to
capture key presses in that IFrame, but I can't seem to get it. I can
capture key presses outside the IFrame fine. I have this problem in
Firefox, not IE.

It shouldn't be any different to capturing key events in a normal
iframe. Do you really have code capturing key events in a normal iframe
with Mozilla that stops working if you switch designMode on for that iframe?
Could you post a URL where that happens? Do you get script errors? What
exactly goes wrong, capturing the key event with a handler, or perhaps
only cancellation of a key?

Jay Xx

After extensively searching Blogger.com's code, I've found the rather
simple solution:

document.getElementById('edit').contentWindow.addEventListener('keypress',
cK, true);

Thanks anyway!

Martin Honnen

Jay said:
Yes, here is a simple example of it not working:
http://www.jayssite.com/misc/iframesample.html
I don't get any errors. The event simply isn't captured.

I am not sure what is different but here is an example working for me
with Mozilla 1.7
<http://home.arcor.de/martin.honnen/javascript/200503/test2005031201.html>
Onload the keypress handling is enabled and when the user types in the
iframe the key/char code is reported.
There are buttons then to disable the keypress handler and enable it
again which work too.

Although I also put in some code in that example geared towards IE I
haven't tested with IE as your original post says you are not looking
for an IE solution.