Is Cloud Hosting overkill for me?

Bobby Edward

I have been looking into different asp.net hosting options. I am a
smallscale freelance asp.net developer, with fairly minimal traffic
websites.

Is cloud hosting overkill for me?

Anyone use GoGrid.com? They seem to be pretty good.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!

Guest

I have been looking into different asp.net hosting options.  I am a
smallscale freelance asp.net developer, with fairly minimal traffic
websites.

Is cloud hosting overkill for me?

Anyone use GoGrid.com?  They seem to be pretty good.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!

So, what about pipeten then? :)

I think the main question here's the list of requirements you may have
for your hosting.
Let's say

1. Number of sites: smallscale
2. Traffic: minimal
3. Database requirements: ??? (type, version, data size)
4. File space: ???
5. OS/IIS/ASP.NET version: ???

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

If your sites are low graffic and will continue to be low, you are probably
talking overkill. Clouds are best for apps where you are small now, but
likely to grow, as the cloud allows the app to scale.

Never tried gogrid.com. My guess would be that you would find it more
expensive for a service you do not currently need.

George

As of right now cloud hosting is expensive. You can get your own dedicated
server cheaper.
The benefit is that you can scale if you need beyond the single server but
my understanding you do not have such plans.

I would recomend to get a shared hosting plan. You can get it for $15-$20 a
month

George.

Bobby Edward

Thanks EVERYONE for their comments!!!

Db requirements: Latest versions of MySql (for sure), MS Access, MySql
(optionally) or SQL Express - minimal amount of records
File space: Less than 4gb
ASP.NET 3.5 or older

:)