Is email.parser a good replacement for formail?

Matěj Cepl

Hi,

I have a script (https://github.com/mcepl/gg_scraper) where I need to
read possibly malformed mbox messages. I use subprocess.Popen() and
/usr/bin/formail to clean up them to be correct mbox messages (with
correct leading From line etc.). Now I try to run tests for my script on
Travis-CI, where I don't have installed formail. Actually, I learned now
that I can run apt-get install procmail in .travis.yml. But still, I
started to think whether I couldn’t fix my script to be purely Pythonic.
I know that

msg = email.message_from_string(original_msg)
print(msg.as_string(unixfrom=True))

works as a poor-man’s replacement for `formail -d`. Now, I would like to
know how reliable replacement it is. Does anybody have (or know about) a
corpus of poorly formatted messages which can be fixed by formail to
test upon it?

Thanks a lot for any reply,

Matěj

--